Huge Congratulations to RCI!

I have just been reading some of the latest reviews of Independence and I have to say that RCI have really exceeded all expectations this time. According to some of the reviews the staff onboard are rude, lazy, unfriendly and didn't deserve to be paid :(. We were on Independence for the May 18th cruise to the Fjords and the staff could not have been more efficient, friendly and helpful (just as we have found on our five previous cruises on Indy) - obviously RCI realised there was a problem on previous cruises and changed the entire staff - well done Royal :p:p. Now all they need to do is resolve the issue of allowing passengers with mobility problems onto the ship and all the reviewers will be happy!

Yes, I know everybody is entitled to their opinion and all views are subjective but I have NEVER been treated with anything but politeness and friendliness by any member of RCI's staff so I find claims of rude staff to be totally unbelievable.

Gill

I have just been reading some of the latest reviews of Independence and I have to say that RCI have really exceeded all expectations this time. According to some of the reviews the staff onboard are rude, lazy, unfriendly and didn't deserve to be paid :(. We were on Independence for the May 18th cruise to the Fjords and the staff could not have been more efficient, friendly and helpful (just as we have found on our five previous cruises on Indy) - obviously RCI realised there was a problem on previous cruises and changed the entire staff - well done Royal :p:p. Now all they need to do is resolve the issue of allowing passengers with mobility problems onto the ship and all the reviewers will be happy!

Yes, I know everybody is entitled to their opinion and all views are subjective but I have NEVER been treated with anything but politeness and friendliness by any member of RCI's staff so I find claims of rude staff to be totally unbelievable.

Gill

We did a review from the same cruise :-)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846869

I was looking at sailing in Indy next year - France & Spain cruise, so thanks for the positive words :)

By the way, are the fjords just as scenic as Alaska? I wanted to sail out of UK so we could get a couple of days in London. Had not considered the Norway cruise, so would love to hear more about it.

Thanks.

I was looking at sailing in Indy next year - France & Spain cruise, so thanks for the positive words :)

By the way, are the fjords just as scenic as Alaska? I wanted to sail out of UK so we could get a couple of days in London. Had not considered the Norway cruise, so would love to hear more about it.

Thanks.

Never been on a Norwegian cruise but on 2 Alakan cruises. However I have been to Norway numerous times and have visited all the stops that Royal does.

I find the flords more beautiful than Alaska and with the narrow fjords you feed more in touch with nature. Prefer the Norwegian places of visit over Alaska.

On the other hand you will not see glaziers as in Alaska.

We did a review from the same cruise :-)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846869

Reading your live review was one of the first things I did when I got back :), it was like going back and doing it all again lol. Thanks for doing that, it was great to see and I know a few people from another thread were watching it to see what we were all up to.

RSLeesburg - I've never been to Alaska but I would hazard a guess that the Norwegian Fjords are a poor man's Alaska lol - but it's only a guess. The views were spectacular and I have no regrets about going on the cruise but, personally, I've seen it and don't feel the need to go back, if you see what I mean. A couple of ports (Skjolden and Olden) were little more than a few houses and shops unless you went on an excursion but Alesund and Stavanger were lovely ports just to wander around and take everything in. We only did one excursion and that was the train trip in Flam but I think people who did more excursions probably got more out of Norway than we did - I believe Ticktoneer did some and will probably confirm this.

Indy is a beautiful ship (and wonderful staff :)) so I'm sure you'd love cruising on her. If you've not been to France and Spain before then go for it but we cruised St Petersburg and the Baltics last July and it's a really amazing cruise - so many beautiful and interesting ports - RCI sail from Harwich for this cruise so you could still get your time in London. we went on Jewel but I'm not sure which ship it will be next year. If you do look at that cruise then take a look at St Petersburg in the Ports section of CC - especially with regards to Visa's and excursions.

Gill

Never been on a Norwegian cruise but on 2 Alakan cruises. However I have been to Norway numerous times and have visited all the stops that Royal does.

I find the flords more beautiful than Alaska and with the narrow fjords you feed more in touch with nature. Prefer the Norwegian places of visit over Alaska.

Thanks. As we will be traveling, beautiful views sound perfect...

I did say I hadn't been to Alaska lol :)

Gill

Thanks.

IMHO, as scenic but without the wildlife. We thoroughly enjoyed both Alaska and Norway for different reasons :).

We were on Indy last summer and I admit I was a tad nervous I wouldn't like it, having only cruised previously with P&O (our son and his family had already booked Indy, so if we wanted to go with them, which we did, we had no choice!) and having read a few reviews along the lines of 'Butlins at Sea' etc.

However, I went with an open mind and with a determination not to compare the two lines. We loved it!! The crew were amazing in general but our cabin steward Larisa was excellent, the bar staff in my and my husband's bar of choice, the Olive or Twist, were great and our MTD waiters really looked after us; we included a very fussy eater in our grandson who has Aspergers, my daughter-in-law who has to eat gluten free and myself, a vegetarian. They went the extra mile every evening, ensuring GS had pretty much whatever he fancied - usually pasta with chicken, which our wonderful waitress Irene, cut into pieces for him every time, much to his amusement (he was 13 at the time!). MY DIL was brought her special dessert every night without having to ask and one evening I happened to mention to Jason, our head waiter, that I'd liked a dish served up in WJ that day and next evening, I had it presented to me for my main course, specially prepared by one of the chefs. Now is that good service or what!

The ship is beautiful and the crew work tirelessly to keep it spotless. I thought the food was great and didn't once struggle to find something to eat, neither did anyone else in our family, even the fussy and GF ones! Apart from one visit to Johnny Rockets, we ate only in WJ and the MDR.

We can't cruise often because of work and spare funds, but we will do so again at some point and although I would prefer a ship maybe just a little smaller than Indy (I fancy the Radiance class ;)) I would never hesitate in recommending Indy and RCI to anyone.

Gill

To be fair, sometimes all it takes is one bad encounter for someone to form the opinion that the staff is rude. And, with the thousands of people traveling every week, it is understandable that there will be some "rude" encounters, whether that be staff that really did have a bad moment or passengers who perceived rudeness, because they didn't get what service they thought they should have gotten.

That is why I never read reviews, and I recommend others do the same.

The reason being that people who enjoy the cruise, i.e. the vast majority, will not write them, as they feel no need to. Those very select few who nitpick and moan even before they have sailed, will be the ones who instantly go and write a bad review when they return. Hence the number of bad reviews is greater.

Sorry to crash the party, however I swore to never set foot on Indy after my 12/2009 8 day Caribbean trip. At that time I found the staff especially the LA obnoxious. Never had a problem or complaint on any other RCI ship. I do hope they have fixed the problem.

Gill

Reviews are always subjective and I tend to ignore those that say everything was terrible just as I do those that say everything was perfect. Nothing on a typical cruise is ever either - the truth lies somewhere in between and is very much an individual experience. But to that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I would not question anyone's review outside of the extremes noted.

And - subjectivity in mind - our experience last March was very good and Indy was one of our best cruises - for a number of reasons that also included the staff and service. We have booked a repeat for next March in large part based on that experience.

But to your comment about RCI changing the entire staff, what basis in fact do you have to support that? Certainly they would review individual performances if negative comments are made and adjust where needed. But that would be a huge undertaking IMO. Just curious where you are getting this information from.

Reviews are always subjective and I tend to ignore those that say everything was terrible just as I do those that say everything was perfect. Nothing on a typical cruise is ever either - the truth lies somewhere in between and is very much an individual experience. But to that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I would not question anyone's review outside of the extremes noted.

And - subjectivity in mind - our experience last March was very good and Indy was one of our best cruises - for a number of reasons that also included the staff and service. We have booked a repeat for next March in large part based on that experience.

But to your comment about RCI changing the entire staff, what basis in fact do you have to support that? Certainly they would review individual performances if negative comments are made and adjust where needed. But that would be a huge undertaking IMO and would seem unlikely just based on several negative CC reviews. Just curious where you are getting this information from.

Gee, maybe, just maybe the two :p:p after that statement were meant to point out that it was a joke???

But to your comment about RCI changing the entire staff, what basis in fact do you have to support that? Certainly they would review individual performances if negative comments are made and adjust where needed. But that would be a huge undertaking IMO and would seem unlikely just based on several negative CC reviews. Just curious where you are getting this information from.

I believe that comment was meant to be "tongue in cheek".

How terrible :(! I LOVED Indy when I sailed on her last August, and I found her crew to be nothing but friendly and willing to go above and beyond (like when our stateroom attendant ran off to get tools to fix my sister's rented wheelchair or how the managers of the WJ would meet us at the entrance almost every morning to help us find tables to save me having to negotiate crowds of people to locate an empty table while pushing a wheelchair). On that cruise, I actually found out why people love cruising so much after having an underwhelming cruising experience, service-wise, on the Oasis two years prior.

So sorry to hear that Indy is being slammed on the boards - I know my family are still saying what a wonderful time they had on Indy (10 months later).

OK - guess I didn't realize "stick out tongue" (per the "smiles" description) meant that. But that would fit reading it in that context. I will go with that.

Sorry if I confused you :)

Sousak78 - We were with you on Indy last August. Has your sister's leg completely healed now - how unlucky to do that before your cruise, at least it didn't stop your enjoyment

Gill

Sorry if I confused you :)

Sousak78 - We were with you on Indy last August. Has your sister's leg completely healed now - how unlucky to do that before your cruise, at least it didn't stop your enjoyment

Gill

No problem and my mistake. I really didn't think it was meant literally but thought maybe you knew of some changes. Could have been clearer in my response. :)

Hi Gill, I remember you! Hope all is well :)

My sister is getting there, healing wise. She still doesn't have complete range of motion back in her ankle but that was to be expected, it was a pretty nasty break. She's doing physio to help it along and all of her doctors and physiotherapists are very impressed with her progress.

Archived