Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

How to get a tugboat to the stern of the Quantum of the Seas so that it can float out? You need a flying tugboat!:)

Btw: I have added a picture gallery to my facebook page and added a download link for a high resolution version to the description of every picture:

This is my favourite picture:

IMG_3088-630x419.jpg

This ship looks really gigantic!

The same 'cut-away' used to find the art and 'via corridor' and 'via rotunda' also shows deck chairs on the bow section and full railings around the opening in the bow deck. This is the first good sign that some type of access may be allowed up there. While these deck chairs could be crew related, it is unlikely they would put that on public relations material.

The 'cut-away' also has not shown this area as a traditional helipad as seen on other renderings of RCI ships.

It would be awesome if the bow area were designated for passenger use, especially since I think outdoor deck space on QUANTUM will be VERY limited on a sunny Caribbean day, but somehow I think this will be the crew's recreation deck. I think the openings leading under the forward superstructure on this same deck is likely a crew bar/lounge of some sort. I could be wrong about all that but it's my guess.

More and more cruise lines and ships are upping the ante when it comes to crew accommodations and recreation. Just like competing for passengers, cruise lines have to compete for the best crew as sourcing becomes more limited, and one way to do this is by offering superior crew accommodations and recreation. Without question the crew deserves it as their work schedule and environment is challenging at best.

It would be awesome if the bow area were designated for passenger use, especially since I think outdoor deck space on QUANTUM will be VERY limited on a sunny Caribbean day, but somehow I think this will be the crew's recreation deck. I think the openings leading under the forward superstructure on this same deck is likely a crew bar/lounge of some sort. I could be wrong about all that but it's my guess.

More and more cruise lines and ships are upping the ante when it comes to crew accommodations and recreation. Just like competing for passengers, cruise lines have to compete for the best crew as sourcing becomes more limited, and one way to do this is by offering superior crew accommodations and recreation. Without question the crew deserves it as their work schedule and environment is challenging at best.

I agree fully and originally suspected this to be a non guest access area, until I saw that cut-away with deck chairs and upscale railing around the deck opening. Those large openings at deck level on the bow are also of interest.

That said, the 'Internal Marketing' of a new ship to crew and staff is also important.

How to get a tugboat to the stern of the Quantum of the Seas so that it can float out? You need a flying tugboat!:)

Btw: I have added a picture gallery to my facebook page and added a download link for a high resolution version to the description of every picture:

IMG_3088-630x419.jpg

Thanks. I love the tug video!

This is a pretty great video with some awesome aerial footage. It seems to me that a Drone was used to capture the aerial footage. Great work and use of an UAV. Would have been nice to see a complete fly over from bow to stern, but begger's can't be choosey I suppose. :)

This is a pretty great video with some awesome aerial footage. It seems to me that a Drone was used to capture the aerial footage. Great work and use of an UAV. Would have been nice to see a complete fly over from bow to stern, but begger's can't be choosey I suppose. :)

There's going to be some drone shots in another video about the ship anyhow.

A while back I posted about Digicopter being at the shipyard.

http://www.digicopter.de/de/luftaufnahmen/

Edited by Lloyd555

Thanks Lloyd. That's awesome. I seem to remember it being mentioned a while back. I am looking forward to some more great video footage from above. Its nice to get a birds eye view and a look from a different vantage point. Wonder if I would be allowed to bring my drone and camera on my January cruise. :p

IMG_3088-630x419.jpg

Makes me wonder if this is what Toothpaste feels like.

Thanks for the photos!

Denise 😮

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The sun has set and while it may not look like much is going on during the day there is one very obvious change tonight. The Crown & Anchor on the funnel is lit up for the first time! I have to admit though, it looks a little weird with it directly above the only other blue sign. Hope they have something near the front and farther back that lights up in a similar style to help balance it out. Maybe some thing on the North Star crane arm that lights up would look nice. Maybe even simply neon lines on the for edges of it to add some extra accent up top.

attachment.php?attachmentid=322458&stc=1&d=1408390606

ueberfuehrung.jpg.186f1a79a669434b6e1787f42034ac25.jpg

Edited by DEIx15x8

The sun has set and while it may not look like much is going on during the day there is one very obvious change tonight. The Crown & Anchor on the funnel is lit up for the first time! I have to admit though, it looks a little weird with it directly above the only other blue sign. Hope they have something near the front and farther back that lights up in a similar style to help balance it out. Maybe some thing on the North Star crane arm that lights up would look nice. Maybe even simply neon lines on the for edges of it to add some extra accent up top.

I think there will be a another Crown and Anchor towards the front of the ship, well at least that is what the cut-away image shows. Whether it lights up or not, we shall see...

ScreenShot2014-08-18at34300PM_zps0c4159f8.png

I checked out the bottom name on the covering over the North Star. Turns out its Gangloff Cabins from Switzerland.

I found a pdf document that mentions...

The 4 ton North Star cabin/gondola, held together by a framework of tubes, was built by Gangloff Cabins in Switzerland. Upon completion it travels to Poland, where the cabin is coupled to the 40 meter articulated arm. After that cabin and arm are transported by special convoy to the Meyer Werft shipyard.

NorthStartbyGangloffCabins2_zpsb107dec3.jpg

NorthStarbyDieGangloffCabins3_zps9b33fa0f.jpg

Thanks again for the photos.

Looking forward to the installation of the North Star. Looks good in the cutaway image.

03857ddd7d653b4cc1137462465a7e8d.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

I think there will be a another Crown and Anchor towards the front of the ship, well at least that is what the cut-away image shows. Whether it lights up or not, we shall see...

ScreenShot2014-08-18at34300PM_zps0c4159f8.png

Would be nice if that it up. I know we've been calling that a mini funnel, but now they are truly making it one with the crown & anchor, lol.

Thanks again for the photos.

Looking forward to the installation of the North Star. Looks good in the cutaway image.

03857ddd7d653b4cc1137462465a7e8d.jpg

Us too. I will admit I thought the North Star would detract from the appearance of the ship, but with that little resting area when the arm is not in motion, I have to recant and say that QOS looks stunning!

Wish they add led lights to the arm and pod. Would look really cool from a distance at night. Like a Ferris wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Swiss supplier of the gondola (pod) did state that 100 LED lights needed to be installed in press information. How they were used was not clarified.

Hmmm. No image from the outdoor webcam.

Is that it for the outdoor webcam on the Quantum?

Or are they installing the North Star and don't want us to see? :D

It's still streaming for me and in the same place and angle. Maybe they lost the connection at some point.

And just as I send this it went down for me. The shots I saw were live though because I last saw them in the dark last night and it was now daylight again. Didn't grab a picture but there was a lot of odd white smoke or steam around the seaplex. Not sure what they are doing now.

Edited by DEIx15x8

It's still streaming for me and in the same place and angle. Maybe they lost the connection at some point.

And just as I send this it went down for me. The shots I saw were live though because I last saw them in the dark last night and it was now daylight again. Didn't grab a picture but there was a lot of odd white smoke or steam around the seaplex. Not sure what they are doing now.

I did see the same thing yesterday, they might me welding. I hope they get the feed back up