Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Looking forward to a new cruise terminal. I mean, the terminal does so little to enhance the overall experience of the cruise. But there's something about walking into that makeshift terminal to start your vacation that just doesn't raise the level of excitement.

Also found a rendering of the new cruise terminal at Cape Liberty at http://www.panynj.gov/about/gtr/gtr_082013.html.

Maybe we can follow its construction, if not the Quantum of the Seas'. :o

CapeLiberty_renderingofnewRCIterminal_zps591d138f.png

Great find! Looks really nice and different than any other terminal I've seen. Ft. Lauderdale separated buses and cars, this appears to do it even further with cars on one side of the building with an attached garage while buses are on the other side with views of the ship. Wonder where drop offs will fall.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the rest of the land, if they have an attached garage will they still need the lots just in case or leave those for more development right at the pier. I'm sure many would be glad to see the lots go after the MANY stories of damage from parking their.

Edit: I'm not sure if anyone here has sailed out of Baltimore but they do something their that works really well. When pulling up to the terminal they unload the luggage at a dedicated stand right by the ship before you go to the terminal. They put them right on the carts to be driven to the ship. That way you don't have all those people unloading luggage at the terminal and people dragging them around to the appropriate place. Seemed to really make things go smoothly and cut out all the confusion and franticness of the unloading area by the terminal as it was for unloading of people only. Hope they think about that with this terminal.

Edited by DEIx15x8

Also found a rendering of the new cruise terminal at Cape Liberty at http://www.panynj.gov/about/gtr/gtr_082013.html.

Maybe we can follow its construction, if not the Quantum of the Seas'. :o

Thanks Lioyd555

Looks good although wondering if they have started yet. I will be there on Nov 1, 2014 on Explorer. Hope it's finished by then. Would also be nice if they got a direct shuttle from NYC. Just a thought.:cool:

Denise

Mobinar news page has a short blurb about inviting Meyer Werft to check out their work on the FlowRider steel frame for the Quantum of the Seas:

http://www.mobimar.com/news-flowrider_fat_accepted

Mobinar designed and made the frames so that the FlowRider (by Wave Loch) is cruise vessel compatible. If you look through the website you'll see that they do other projects for RCI, such as some of their climbing walls.

Reading the piece on the Flowriders, seems like they will be installing them on the rest of the Voyager class. I knew about the NOS getting it (and the deck plans have been recently posted) but had not heard that the other Voyager class ships were getting them too!

"Wave Loch Inc. is the owner of the FlowRider® trademark. Together with them Mobimar will now build six more surf machines to be installed in Royal Caribbean's fleet. In addition to the Quantum Class ships by Meyer Werft, Mobimar will make the FlowRider® revitalizations for the existing Voyager Class fleet (built in Turku 1999 - 2003)."

Reading the piece on the Flowriders, seems like they will be installing them on the rest of the Voyager class. I knew about the NOS getting it (and the deck plans have been recently posted) but had not heard that the other Voyager class ships were getting them too!

"Wave Loch Inc. is the owner of the FlowRider® trademark. Together with them Mobimar will now build six more surf machines to be installed in Royal Caribbean's fleet. In addition to the Quantum Class ships by Meyer Werft, Mobimar will make the FlowRider® revitalizations for the existing Voyager Class fleet (built in Turku 1999 - 2003)."

The math could a few different ways. Upcoming known Flowirders are:

Navigator of the Seas x1

Quantum of the Seas x1

Anthem of the Seas x1

Oasis III x2

Quantum III x1

That equals the 6 but it could just as easily be:

Navigator of the Seas x1

Quantum of the Seas x1

Anthem of the Seas x1

Voyager of the Seas x1

Explorer of the Seas x1

Adventure of the Seas x1

That also equals 6. The Mariner was already updated and will likely remain a one off dedicated to Asia just like Independence did not receive the same upgrades as the other 2 Freedom class ships.

BTW, as to the location, it will now be located in the current parking lot. If you look at the rendering you can see the cutout for the dry dock as well as the current pier and and of the peninsula to help understand the exact size and location.

attachment.php?attachmentid=288889&stc=1&d=1381104289

Based on this it'll be interesting to see what their plan is to handle parking during the construction. This new terminal will also continue to limit them to one ship so we'll have to see if a second terminal located at the current location is in the future. I know their plan had included dredging in order to allow 2 ships to dock if needed as well as for more ships to come in. This currently would not accomplish that objective. They've never had multiple ships at once in the past but storms have caused them some scheduling problems on rare occasions where ships needed to return at the same time.

1452510377_ScreenShot2013-10-06at7_59_47PM.jpg.cbd33e1f8ac9c9d81e50caab7d754982.jpg

Edited by DEIx15x8

The math could a few different ways. Upcoming known Flowirders are:

Navigator of the Seas x1

Quantum of the Seas x1

Anthem of the Seas x1

Oasis III x2

Quantum III x1

That equals the 6 but it could just as easily be:

Navigator of the Seas x1

Quantum of the Seas x1

Anthem of the Seas x1

Voyager of the Seas x1

Explorer of the Seas x1

Adventure of the Seas x1

That also equals 6. The Mariner was already updated and will likely remain a one off dedicated to Asia just like Independence did not receive the same upgrades as the other 2 Freedom class ships.

Yep, I thought that too (your first option) but the quote mentioned entire Voyager class fleet, so it has me wondering if they are not involved in 3rd oasis. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They've never had multiple ships at once in the past but storms have caused them some scheduling problems on rare occasions where ships needed to return at the same time.

Several years ago, maybe around 2005; we were on the Voyager and there were 2 ships docked at the same time. The other ship was a Celebrity, sorry I did not take a picture.

The Voyager was all the way back and Celebrity was docked near the Terminal. I do not know when they stopped doing that.

Helen

Never mind the QoS blocks at Meyer Werft or the celebrity advisors, I’ve found the mother load! :eek:

Check out the photos of the manufacturing and assembling of two (TWO!!) flotation units FA-90 made from stainless steel for waste-water treatment on the Quantum of the Seas for Scanship, a Norwegian maritime company specializing in advanced technologies for processing and purifying waste water, food waste, solid waste and bio sludge.

They can keep the Meyer Werft webcam focused on the Getaway! They can remove the QoS photos from Ingrid Fiebak’s site! We have official images of waste-water equipment! We’re talking sludge, people! SLUDGE!!

... Yup. Needing a good reveal from Royal Caribbean reeeaaalll soon!!! :(

http://www.euro-weld.com/?manufacturing-and-assembling-of-2-flotation-units-fa-90-made-from-stainless-steel-for-waste-water-treatment-plant-on-the-cruise-ship,92

P10204941_zps1b4ccf4c.jpg

P10204671_zpsc4f0d6f3.jpg

Photos courtesy of euro-weld

Edited by Lloyd555

Getting back to the Quantum of the Seas and Meyer Werft, here's another block being towed to MW:

Great video.

I wonder what the two holes are...

It would be nice to finally see some construction updates.

I think that the Getaway is due to float out in about 4 weeks. Once that happens, hopefully we'll have a great view of the construction progress!

never mind the qos blocks at meyer werft or the celebrity advisors, i’ve found the mother load! :eek:

check out the photos of the manufacturing and assembling of two (two!!) flotation units fa-90 made from stainless steel for waste-water treatment on the quantum of the seas for scanship, a norwegian maritime company specializing in advanced technologies for processing and purifying waste water, food waste, solid waste and bio sludge.

they can keep the meyer werft webcam focused on the getaway! They can remove the qos photos from ingrid fiebak’s site! We have official images of waste-water equipment! We’re talking sludge, people! Sludge!!

... Yup. Needing a good reveal from royal caribbean reeeaaalll soon!!! :(

http://www.euro-weld.com/?manufacturing-and-assembling-of-2-flotation-units-fa-90-made-from-stainless-steel-for-waste-water-treatment-plant-on-the-cruise-ship,92

p10204941_zps1b4ccf4c.jpg

p10204671_zpsc4f0d6f3.jpg

photos courtesy of euro-weld

holy s#@% !!!!!!:d

Never mind the QoS blocks at Meyer Werft or the celebrity advisors, I’ve found the mother load! :eek:

Check out the photos of the manufacturing and assembling of two (TWO!!) flotation units FA-90 made from stainless steel for waste-water treatment on the Quantum of the Seas for Scanship, a Norwegian maritime company specializing in advanced technologies for processing and purifying waste water, food waste, solid waste and bio sludge.

They can keep the Meyer Werft webcam focused on the Getaway! They can remove the QoS photos from Ingrid Fiebak’s site! We have official images of waste-water equipment! We’re talking sludge, people! SLUDGE!!

... Yup. Needing a good reveal from Royal Caribbean reeeaaalll soon!!! :(

P10204941_zps1b4ccf4c.jpg

P10204671_zpsc4f0d6f3.jpg

Photos courtesy of euro-weld

Lol! Or should I say Llol?!

Love your enthusiasm! Royal Caribbean, give this guy a cruise on the Quantum!!! :D

By the way, the block in the foreground of the hall 5 webcam looks like it would belong to the Quantum. All those holes for balcony doors AND note the slight diagonal edge on the top right corner of the block that we can see on many of the Quantum blocks in previous photos.

LOL. Lloyd you are the best at finding things about the Quantum build. Royal Caribbean and Meyer Werft should both reward you with a trip to the Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. You are one of the few keeping this whole Quantum thing interesting since there are no reveals from RCCL.

Lol! Or should I say Llol?!

By the way, the block in the foreground of the hall 5 webcam looks like it would belong to the Quantum. All those holes for balcony doors AND note the slight diagonal edge on the top right corner of the block that we can see on many of the Quantum blocks in previous photos.

I think you're right. There are balcony door holes AND balcony supports too. Definetly not part of the Sonne ship. Good catch.

Edit: I may have found the company that is suppplying the toilets for the QofS. I am 'flushed' with excitement... badoomboomp!

Edited by Lloyd555

Yeah, you guys are correct. That "new" block near the Sonne is for Quantum. I've seen a shift in blocks in the past few days and it seems like more and more glass keeps getting added to the top decks and to the balcony's on the Getaway. They are moving along nicely but not fast enough! :rolleyes::p

Please be patient with me because I don't always know what I'm looking at when it comes to construction. Is anything of note happening in the area to the left of the Breakaway (in red circle below)? That area has really changed/grown over time.

webcam_zps7b94b768.png

I think you're right. There are balcony door holes AND balcony supports too. Definetly not part of the Sonne ship. Good catch.

Edit: I may have found the company that is suppplying the toilets for the QofS. I am 'flushed' with excitement... badoomboomp!

Checkout this image from the building of Getaway. Try to zoom in behind Getaway and you will see a lot has been done on Quantum that we have no seen yet.

http://www.buildinggetaway.ncl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG-20131007-00233.jpg

Checkout this image from the building of Getaway. Try to zoom in behind Getaway and you will see a lot has been done on Quantum that we have no seen yet.

http://www.buildinggetaway.ncl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG-20131007-00233.jpg

Good catch. There is at least the painting of exteriror walls and installion of balconies. Nice to be able to see the progress. And somewhere behind that is the keel and engines. Wonder what's happening there?

We can see what's happening in this recent photo of a view of the blocks on the deck that we don't get to see often. Time to play "Where on the ship does that block fit?". The block with hte semi-circle section atop of it ...?

MWOctober10_zps9bd527d2.jpg

Photo courtesy newswhip.com

Edited by Lloyd555

Good catch. There is at least the painting of exteriror walls and installion of balconies. Nice to be able to see the progress. And somewhere behind that is the keel and engines. Wonder what's happening there?

We can see what's happening in this recent photo of a view of the blocks on the deck that we don't get to see often. Time to play "Where on the ship does that block fit?". The block with hte semi-circle section atop of it ...?

MWOctober10_zps9bd527d2.jpg

Photo courtesy newswhip.com

I think the keel and engines are now under those blocks/decks that you see in the picture. They are no longer in the daylight. The fact that they never show the rear webcam we cannot see how much they have done already. You can begin to see some balconies and the supports. Maybe someone can make this picture bigger.

1577190422_GetawayandpartofQuantum.jpg.a752f0a2bce10aba283496cca63dcb91.jpg

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

I think the keel and engines are now under those blocks/decks that you see in the picture. They are no longer in the daylight. The fact that they never show the rear webcam we cannot see how much they have done already. You can begin to see some balconies and the supports. Maybe someone can make this picture bigger.

[ATTACH]289300[/ATTACH]

As requested, here's a blow-up of the area we're interested in:

ZoominofareabehindGetaway_zps742c437d.png

I think that you're right. What we can see of the QofS in the photo above (from the top of the dry-dock basin and upwards) looks like it is on top of the keel area that you can see below the yellow crane machinery in the photo below:

QofSengine0_zpsdb67b260.jpg

An even earlier version of the keel area just behind the Getaway:

QuantumkeelinMW1_zps3d485251.jpg

We can assume that MW has already moved some blocks (maybe one of those in these early photos below) from off the deck alongside the Getaway:

Quantum_of_the_Seas_KeelLayingAugust22013_9_zpsa5e91f92.jpg

Quantum_of_the_Seas_KeelLayingAugust22013_8_zpscf87a204.jpg

C'mon, Royal Caribbean! Where's the webpage gallery deicated to the construction of the Quantum of the Seas!? We're missing some of the good stuff!! :rolleyes:

Lloyd555, once again great finds on the photos. I think your assessment is correct. Since the engines are in place, I think the view in that shot behind the Getaway shows that they have made huge progress on the portion of the Quantum shown in this rendering. It looks like the cabins extend a few decks above the Promenade/lifeboat deck. I blocked out the section with a red box for reference.

Quantum.jpg.c17d9e9e108da0804e78332b2db1dbc4.jpg

Edited by Pomperaugrr