Article about Grandeur of the Seas crew/staff

Thank you for your report. And thank you for serving and protecting our country. As a combat veteran, you can really appreciate the skills of the Grandeur crew and staff. And myself, a Vietnam infantry veteran, I understand your thoughts. Again, thank you.

Rick

Thank you for your report. And thank you for serving and protecting our country. As a combat veteran, you can really appreciate the skills of the Grandeur crew and staff. And myself, a Vietnam infantry veteran, I understand your thoughts. Again, thank you.

Rick

Thank you for your service and for protecting our country!!

Nice article, I hope reps. from RCI read it. It really doesn't surprise me, I would have expected nothing less from RCI. This is why we sail with them. I do hope this crew was well rewarded and appropriated comments were made in their personal files.

Nice article, I hope reps. from RCI read it. It really doesn't surprise me, I would have expected nothing less from RCI. This is why we sail with them. I do hope this crew was well rewarded and appropriated comments were made in their personal files.

As a mariner for 37 years, I wouldn't dream of taking anything away from the crew of the Grandeur, and in fact have praised them in other posts, thinking this kind of emergency response is limited to RCI demeans the vast number of crew aboard other cruise line ships.

I have no dog in the "my line is better than yours" race, and have only worked for NCL in the cruise industry. I cannot guarantee that any crew on any ship will act as well as the Grandeur's crew, or that they would be worse, but they essentially receive the same training (mandated by the IMO). No one knows until the actual moment arrives whether they will let their training take over and allow them to perform their duty, or whether they will panic and become a further problem.

One thing we would stress to the non-professional mariners in the crew was that unlike ashore, the ship is your universe, and since there is nowhere else to go, you'd better do your best to save what you've got.

As far as recognition or compensation for the crew of the Grandeur, I'm afraid this most likely won't happen. Emergency duties are a part of the job for anyone who works at sea, and the companies will treat it that way. And the crew will be required to work long and hard doing jobs they are not used to while in shipyard. That's just the reality of it.

Great article and the best description I've seen yet of the situation. As an Army vet hearing it described as 'battle drills' was awesome! The reason they drill and train is for that one in a million, middle of the night, oh crap moment. The cruisers we all see being rude to staff, bitching and moaning about nothing suddenly found themselves relying on those same staff members for their lives! Kinda puts the no ice in the room, or a hard roll, or slow internet in perspective when that same waiter or steward saves your life. Whatever the cause may have been it is fact that the crew responded in a magnificent way and absolutely saved lives and the ship! Kudos to all of them.

Thank you for sharing! Great article. Kudos as well to the author of the article. Very nice to post their positive experience and great to know that they were not put off cruising due to this fire.

There have been other posts on this board from one or two people who were upset because they were not given priority status and all they could do was complain about little stuff. :confused: It is so wonderful to hear from someone who looked at this experience from the "glass half full" perspective and recognized all the hard work and dedication from the RCCL staff and crew.

Finally - thank you to the author and to all others who have posted that have served in our military. It is because of your service that we are free! God bless all of you! :)

Wow!! Thank you for sharing this!! It is an awesome story and gives pride to the Royal Caribbean Staff..

I agree. I was very touched when I read this article. The Grandeur's crew and staff really were great during this incident and really showed why many of us love Royal Caribbean.

Most importantly... thanks for your service!!! Secondly, thanks for writing such a great article. We were on the cruise as well and we feel exactly the same! The Grandeur folks were the best! I started crying when I read your article. This was a very emotional experience and I feel so blessed to have been taken care of by such a great group. Many prayers said...God blessed us all! Peggy

Archived