OH DAM!! Ship Happens!! Zuiderdam Review 11-25 May 2013

IRL_Joanie

Joanie, thanks for sharing your sailing on the Zuiderdam! The details brought back wonderful memories for me of my sailing on the Zuiderdam! Alaska is a beautiful place and I would love to go again this year. I've been 4 times and would go every year as I never tire of the scenery!

Joanie ~ Take it from someone who was advised in 1993 that she would be "moving on" in about 5 years (ha!) that a "positive attitude" is obviously very beneficial to longevity (;)), and that sometimes medical professionals don't know diddly (:D)! Prove 'em wrong, girl! And keep on cruising!

Amen to this comment, it is so true. Best wishes for you Joanie!

Enjoyed reading your saga Joanie and happy you missed the bridge collapse! :eek:

And I was very glad you enjoyed your stay in my favorite suite.

Here's a photo of your favorite "security" man.:D:D

LOL Too Funny!!!!! I will never mistake him again!!! He put me in my place quite nicely, Thank You Very Much:D:D

EDITED TO ADD: To ALL my friends here on CC, Thank you for the kind thoughts and words about the review. I know it was excessively long and sort of rambled around at times, but I write as I speak (as some of you know:D

And yes, Doctors can be wrong and many times are, but I've seen the xrays and scans and YES been told back in August 2001 that I had "At Max, 2 years and to make your peace." LOL here it is 20133 and.............. I also believe attitude towards health issues do factor a great deal into it and will keep my positive outlook and maintain at minimum my goal of living to at least 150!!

Joanie

Enjoyed reading your saga Joanie and happy you missed the bridge collapse! :eek:

And I was very glad you enjoyed your stay in my favorite suite.

Here's a photo of your favorite "security" man.:D:D

Great photo of Captain Christopher Turner. Looks like a sea Captain.

Good review, Joanie. Think I got a chill on May 11 sail-away. Spent too much time on your deck. I live in Vancouver, but found it cold. Really got sick after walking to Annabel's in Ketchikan. Too far to walk in cold and rain.

Your review makes me want to sail again to Alaska! :) We went in 1997 and that cruise got me started on seeing the world on cruise ships. Here's wishing you many more opportunities to continue cruising.

[<SNIP>also believe attitude towards health issues do factor a great deal into it and will keep my positive outlook and maintain at minimum my goal of living to at least 150!!]

Here is to 150!!! Thanks for your thoughts about the Zuiderdam and the cruise. We were your other corner neighbor on the May 11 leg (in 5190) and I am sorry we did not meet. And you are right - Agung is wonderful. we so enjoyed talking with him. I wish you much good luck with your health issues and happiness in all you do.

What a great review Joanie. It's clear to me that you truly connect with Alaska and I really enjoyed your thoughts and opinions on it. Of course you have now made it impossible for me not to try and get that great cabin when we do Alaska at some point. Darn you!

You never know what life will throw your way, it seems I have been getting bad news every day about loved ones, but your attitude really helped me. Thank you! You are living life to the fullest. God Bless!

[<SNIP>also believe attitude towards health issues do factor a great deal into it and will keep my positive outlook and maintain at minimum my goal of living to at least 150!!]

My mantra is that I'm going to be around 'til I'm 105 to annoy my daughter....perhaps I was being too conservative!!

Barb aka "feathers"

My mantra is that I'm going to be around 'til I'm 105 to annoy my daughter....perhaps I was being too conservative!!

Barb aka "feathers"

OH WOW!!! I love absolutely LOVE your Mantra more!! Think I'll change mine to the following: "My mantra is that I'm going to be around 'til I'm 150 just to annoy my husband and daughter:D"

Joanie

You are very blessed in this life and will be so in the next. You're gonna meet a whole lot more than 5 people in Heaven because you've touched so many of us strangers with photos, replies to posts, reviews, and now sharing your wonderful Alaskan review with an upbeat attitude. I've read it 2 times. And it did bring joyful tears. DH has been living with cancer for 2 1/2 years now. Thank you so much for letting us be part of your personal journey. Next time I'm on a boat and a toilet won't flush, I won't get really pissed (which would be my normal response). Instead, I'll think of you and how "ship happens." Happy sailing tomorrow and beyond for as long as we can.

You are very blessed in this life and will be so in the next. You're gonna meet a whole lot more than 5 people in Heaven because you've touched so many of us strangers with photos, replies to posts, reviews, and now sharing your wonderful Alaskan review with an upbeat attitude. I've read it 2 times. And it did bring joyful tears. DH has been living with cancer for 2 1/2 years now. Thank you so much for letting us be part of your personal journey. Next time I'm on a boat and a toilet won't flush, I won't get really pissed (which would be my normal response). Instead, I'll think of you and how "ship happens." Happy sailing tomorrow and beyond for as long as we can.

I hope you do not mind if I call you Darlin, but I do have to say this to you:

You my darlin, have made my day!! If I can change only one persons outlook on life then I have succeeded in passing along a love for life:)

Thank you!!

Joanie

<snip> Next time I'm on a boat and a toilet won't flush, I won't get really pissed... <snip>

That was either the best inadvertent pun of all time, or a great intentional play on words! Thanks for a good needed chuckle!

That was either the best inadvertent pun of all time, or a great intentional play on words! Thanks for a good needed chuckle!

You got that one!!! There's some history here. We were booked on the Zuiderdam (Partial Panama Canal for 3/13 but had to re-book to 3/14). And then we had to re-book yet again but jumped to an Alaskan cruise because DH was worried about safety issues in Panama and Costa Rica. I was more worried about toilet problems on the Zuiderdam we had been reading about for a really long time. And then along comes Joanie with her fab Zuiderdam review and, well...I decided to lighten up on plumbing concerns and just have some fun. Hoping to do the Panama trip one day, and we just might try the Zuidy (so many love her so) and we may just try Joanie's cabin. Glad you had a good laugh. And thank Joanie for it!

I love reading your posts, Joanie, we have the same tastes in suites :)

There is not a month that goes by that I don't look up your listing of staterooms, making that site must have been a labor of love, because it is the best cruise site that I have ever seen.

I know that you do not want anyone feeling sorry for you, but I sit here in tears thinking of someone so dear, so kind having to suffer in any way. You have always been so cheerfully helpful to others :)

In other news, use as many smilies as you like, I like them too!

Joanie:

What a detailed fantastic review, thank you for that. As you know we should have been on the Z for the repositioning from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver but it was not to be.. I had hoped to meet you as we were getting off-one of these days our worlds will collide!

You are a great person who has helped so many of us beginner cruisers and I really have appreciated your opinions and of course all the photos of the cabins which is invaluable.

I think you will be around for many more years as you are just too stubborn to go away without fighting. Just take it one day at a time like our family is doing. My son and his fiancee loved the Bering Sea excursion too when they went a couple of years ago and I'm glad your husband joined you and saw lots and lots of eagles-good that your husband learned his lesson.:D I'm glad you have made your "prior arrangements" and I know how much you love Alaska.

Take care my friend.

Thanks for a great review -- it brought back so many memories. I enjoyed our time together and your upbeat spirit and attitude on life. All the crew respond to you because you treat them so well -- it works for me! Thanks for your generosity and for bringing people together.

I hope we can be on a trip with you again -- let's plan on it!

Arleen

Archived