UPDATED List of Current Cruise Directors (CD)

From on board Oasis - Amy will be replaced by Dave Chapman. Her next contract will be on another ship. I'll see if I can find out anything more

although it's not easy on a huge ship.

I haven't looked back to see if you got this info already so sorry if it's a repeat.

Adventure OTS - Drew Devine started on August 4.

Allure OTS - Ken Rush started July 28

Brilliance OTS - Keith Williams (confirmed as of July 27). Steve Davis will be taking over as regular CD of Brilliance through mid-November when the ship goes back to Tampa. (Exact handover date needs to be confirmed. Is Keith still on Brilliance or has Steve taken over CD duties?)

Enchantment OTS - Marc Walker from June 7 - Nov. 25

Explorer OTS - John (and Katrina) Blair started August 3 for approximately 2 months. Leigh Xuereb will be returning from his break at the end of Sept/early Oct. (Erky from Turkey will be Activities Manager Sept 28, 2013 --February 2014. The morning show will be called "Talking Turkey with Leigh and Erky"!)

Freedom OTS - Mike Hunnerup from July 7 through August 25. Richard Spacey expects to return from his break on August 25.

Grandeur OTS - John Perry from July 12 through Sept 13. Ricky Matthews September 13 thru November 26th, then Ricky will return sometime in January for 4 months.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton from May 26 through September 7. Can someone please find out who will be covering Joff's break?

Jewel OTS - Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) July 6 through sometime in Sept (exact date unknown), then Carly Boileau is back in September (exact date unknown)

Legend OTS - Rico du Breil started June 29.

Liberty OTS - Jerome Sueur will be filling in as CD beginning Aug 4 (Cuddy will be filling in as the Activities Manager under Jerome)

Majesty OTS - Dave Chapman July 19 until August 31. Mitch Merucci returns as MJ's regular CD on August 31 until December 13.

Mariner OTS - Jimmy Rhodes started May 19 (until when?)

Navigator OTS - Simona Ferraiuolo started April 21 (until when?)

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert from June 1 through Sept 21. Amy will be reassigned to another (unknown) ship after her break, and Dave Chapman will be the new regular CD of Oasis (will he begin on Sept 21, or will there be an interim CD before his contract starts?).

Quantum OTS - Ken Rush will be taking the ship out, and will remain onboard as CD until January 2015

Radiance OTS - Paul Rutter for the Alaska season, May 17 through Sept 6. Then, Bobby and Becky Brown.

Rhapsody OTS - Graham Seymour for the Alaska season beginning May 31

Serenade OTS - Ricky Matthews July 30 though early September

Splendour OTS - Anthony Richards started May 18, then João Pereira for the South American season

Vision OTS - Topi Ylönen from Finland started May 11

Voyager OTS - Lixin Fang began March 23 for the Asian season. Who will be CD for the repositioning and for the Australian season?

Edited by DonnaK

When is Dave taking taking over for Amy?

Loved him on the Explorer 2009 holiday cruise.

<edit> forget this question, I see on the continuing summary that Amy leaves 9/21 and we will be sailing on 9/14. Still, I have heard good things about her and will be "observing" her Zumba stuff in the Promenade.

Edited by The Big Booper

on the Brilliance and Steve Davis is the cd

Brilliance OTS - Steve Davis took over as regular CD of Brilliance on July 27 through mid-November when the ship goes back to Tampa.

Explorer OTS - John (and Katrina) Blair started August 3 for approximately 2 months. Leigh Xuereb will be returning from his break at the end of Sept/early Oct. (Erky from Turkey will be Activities Manager Sept 28, 2013 --February 2014. The morning show will be called "Talking Turkey with Leigh and Erky"!)

Freedom OTS - Mike Hunnerup from July 7 through August 25. Richard Spacey expects to return from his break on August 25.

Grandeur OTS - John Perry from July 12 through Sept 13. Ricky Matthews September 13 thru November 26th, then Ricky will return sometime in January for 4 months.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton from May 26 through September 7. Can someone please find out who will be covering Joff's break?

Jewel OTS - Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) July 6 through sometime in Sept (exact date unknown), then Carly Boileau is back in September (exact date unknown)

Liberty OTS - Jerome Sueur will be filling in as CD beginning Aug 4 (Cuddy will be filling in as the Activities Manager under Jerome)

Majesty OTS - Dave Chapman July 19 until August 31. Mitch Merucci returns as MJ's regular CD on August 31 until December 13.

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert from June 1 through Sept 21. Amy will be reassigned to another (unknown) ship after her break, and Dave Chapman will be the new regular CD of Oasis (will he begin on Sept 21, or will there be an interim CD before his contract starts?).

Quantum OTS - Ken Rush will be taking the ship out, and will remain onboard as CD until January 2015

Radiance OTS - Paul Rutter for the Alaska season, May 17 through Sept 6. Then, Bobby and Becky Brown.

Splendour OTS - Anthony Richards started May 18, then João Pereira for the South American season

Voyager OTS - Lixin Fang began March 23 for the Asian season. Who will be CD for the repositioning and for the Australian season?

Anyone have an idea if Frank the Tank is still on the Explorer?

Frankie has left the Explorer, and is RUMORED to be going to the Oasis. The Activity Director is currently Kristen/Christine (I apologize for the spelling) Blair aka Mrs. John Blair. Her husband, John is filling in for Leigh, as the CD. Erky from Turkey will arrive on September 28 to assume the duties of Activity Director.

I am cruising on October 20th and have been promised by Royal that the Blairs WILL BE GONE by then!

Hope this helps - Miriam

Edited by Clancy14

Frankie has left the Explorer, and is RUMORED to be going to the Oasis. The Activity Director is currently Kristen/Christine (I apologize for the spelling) Blair aka Mrs. John Blair. Her husband, John is filling in for Leigh, as the CD. Erky from Turkey will arrive on September 28 to assume the duties of Activity Director.

I am cruising on October 20th and have been promised by Royal that the Blairs WILL BE GONE by then!

Hope this helps - Miriam

Leigh should be back for the cruise that begins on Sept 29 or Oct 6. (I assume Erky is starting Sept 29 too, as they are at sea on the 28th.) Leigh is my favorite CD!

Mrs. Blair's name is Katrina.

Frankie starts on Oasis on October 5th, he's currently on vacation

Hope this helps - Miriam

We frankly have had the Blair's twice as CD and Activities Manager on both Grandeur and Enchantment. We felt they were a good team. Very energetic, not phony. The one Activities Manager we have had, who is now a CD that we absolutely could not stand was Dave Chapman on Explorer. He would pretend cry like a baby when calling out #1 on Bingo - so annoying! Can't imagine what he is like as a CD unless he has matured.

New update. Amy may or may not be back on OA. She doesn't have a new contract. So wait on that. This is direct from her.

She is cute, nice, and a lively CD without being over the top. I think she is quite awesome. :) and that word isn't even part of my vocabulary. I really like her more than most other CDs. She is a perfect example of why I don't trust what I hear from others. Now if I never hear bing bong after an announcement again I will be perfectly happy. :)

I LOVE Amy and her style. She wears cute dresses at night, too. She is just a real sweetheart and I can't say enough nice things about her.

Edited by mommabean

New update. Amy may or may not be back on OA. She doesn't have a new contract. So wait on that. This is direct from her.

She is cute, nice, and a lively CD without being over the top. I think she is quite awesome. :) and that word isn't even part of my vocabulary. I really like her more than most other CDs. She is a perfect example of why I don't trust what I hear from others. Now if I never hear bing bong after an announcement again I will be perfectly happy. :)

I LOVE Amy and her style. She wears cute dresses at night, too. She is just a real sweetheart and I can't say enough nice things about her.

Dave takes over the day Amy leaves.

Brilliance OTS - Steve Davis took over as regular CD of Brilliance on July 27 through mid-November when the ship goes back to Tampa.

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert from June 1 through Sept 21, then Dave Chapman. Amy may or may not return to Oasis after her break - she does not have a new contract yet. (Frankie will begin as Activities Manager on Oct 5)

Edited by DonnaK

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert from June 1 through Sept 21, then Dave Chapman. Amy may or may not return to Oasis after her break - she does not have a new contract yet. (Frankie will begin as Activities Manager on Oct 5)

Do we know how long Ken Rush will be CD on the Allure?

Jewel OTS - Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) July 6 through sometime in Sept (exact date unknown), then Carly Boileau is back in September (exact date unknown) Can someone please find out the handover date?

Liberty OTS - Jerome Sueur started Aug 4 (Cuddy will be filling in as the Activities Manager under Jerome)

Edited by DonnaK

Jewel OTS - Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) July 6 through sometime in Sept (exact date unknown), then Carly Boileau is back in September (exact date unknown) Can someone please find out the handover date?

Liberty OTS - Jerome Sueur started Aug 4 (Cuddy will be filling in as the Activities Manager under Jerome)

Who will be CD on Serenade on Nov 27th for repositioning? Kathy:confused:

:o Do people really plan their cruises depending on the CD? We look primarily at the ship, ports, and sea days (love them).

Entertainment on a ship is very important to us; we are active participants, and we attend various programs in the smaller venues around the ship. We have noticed a significant difference in the quality and fun-factor of these activities under various CDs. As well, we have noticed that some CDs offer much more to do in the evening than others, and this is very important to us.

While we also primarily look at ships and itinerary, we do take into account who the CD will be. It's even more important in cold weather cruises (such as Explorer in the winter) or cruises that are impacted by rainy/windy weather such as hurricanes, when people can't spend time outdoors by the pool. This draws everyone indoors, and if they are walking around aimlessly and bored, complaining, it creates a negative atmosphere for everyone.

I'll give you one example: We were on Allure during hurricane Irene. The captain had to skip Nassau and take the ship on a longer, more roundabout route to St. Thomas. WE came within 250 nautical miles of the eye of the storm. It was very rainy, windy, and waves were very high. All outdoor decks were closed. Allan Brooks and his staff kept everyone positively occupied. By the middle of the cruise, it was clear that the hurricane was headed up to the mid-Atlantic and Northeast states, and about 1/3 the passengers were not going to be able to get home as planned after disembarkation. These people were preoccupied about their homes and about changing their plans. Yet, the activities team did a great job keeping spirits up, and getting our minds off these issues.

On the other hand, we were on a New Year's cruise on Explorer, and the outdoor decks had to be closed due to high winds. The activities staff under Jimmy Rhodes was very uninspired, and there was nothing for the masses of people who would ordinarily be out by the pool to do. They were clogging up the public areas complaining, and it really put a damper on everyone's cruise experience. We were on Explorer again a few months later under Richard Spacey and Leigh Xuereb, and it was amazing how much more fun the very same activities were, and how much more entertainment was scheduled.

Not everyone appreciates or cares about the CD, and that's ok. This thread is for those of us to whom the CD matters.

Edited by DonnaK