Cruising in September. Not a Good Idea?

We have cruised in Sept. many times with no weather problems. Just buy travel insurance. In 2003 Navigator's 7 nite cruise turned into a 9 nite due to the port and airport of Miami being closed due to a hurricane. We didn't mind the extra two days!

Hurricane season is 6 months long. The ships for the most part will be able to avoid most weather but may have to alter ports and itineraries to do this. I would book the cruise. There are great deals from September til early December compared to the rest of the year.

I have been looking at a cruise in early September and am unsure to risk due to the posibility of bad weather. What are others past experiences in this time frame.

Thank You

You will find the best prices those months once the schools start up, less kids also.

If the weather is going to be real bad they will sail a different intinerary.

Jimbo:)

As a Florida person, I have cruised a bunch of times during Sept. for the cheaper prices. If you are flying in, give yourself an extra day. Otherwise, have a great time. The ship reserves the right to change your itinerary to avoid storms, so you will end up staying out of any major storm.

wow.... in the time I was writing you got a bunch of responses....

We cruised out of Florida in September...there were 3 major storms...one of which made all ships leave Port Canaveral 2 hours early....

We sailed underneath the 2nd storm, had one very bad weather day / rough seas...

It was by far, the best cruise we have ever been on, for so many different reasons...

I would not hesitate to sail in September...

We cruise often in September, great deals can be had. The only time we were cancelled was 2004, and that year the port itself was closed because the channel needed to be dredged before ships could return after hurricane Frances. Sovereign ended up docking in S Fl...not sure if it was MIA or FLL, and our trip was cancelled completely. We got a full refund, and surprisingly were given full cruise credits on our C& A list.

we prefer Sept or Oct because of the temperature. Being from Ohio we are not completely used to the very warm and humid temps so fall is great for us. It is still in the 80's and sometimes lower 90's. We have had 1 itinerary change (Western to Eastern) and had 1 rough night at sea last year. Happy Cruising

Because hurricane season is 6 months long, you run the risk half of the year. Remember, Sandy hit the east coast 2 days before Halloween. :rolleyes:

We sailed early October and the weather was perfect, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I have been looking at a cruise in early September and am unsure to risk due to the posibility of bad weather. What are others past experiences in this time frame.

Thank You

Our first cruise was in 2005 and unbeknownst to us, while at sea, there was a hurricane. Hurricane Rita. She closed the Port of Galveston and we were unable to get back on time. We spent two extra days at sea; in those days we had beautiful weather, calm seas and visited an extra port of call - Costa Maya. The best port we had been to that week.

If there is problem weather the ship will stay clear of it.

I usually cruise in September as a birthday present to myself and the only time weather has deterred my plans is when we had to skip Coco Cay on the Majesty because we couldn't tender. I actually prefer to sail in September or October; the prices agree with me during those times.

We have also cruised many times in September and October and had perfect weather. That is up until last year. We were on the Explorer, Oct. 28 sailing, and cruised right into hurricane Sandy outerbands. Wild ride, 45 ft. waves, and wind gusts over 150 MPH. But, we did get to Bermuda on time. We are sailing out of New Orleans this year on October 13! :D

Go.

You could have bad weather any time of the year.

I love sailing in the fall, beautiful weather, and not so many kids.

The only time I ever had an itinerary change was in 2009, I think, when the H1N1 flu scare made the cruise lines skip Cozumel. But that had nothing to do with the weather.

Archived