Radiance of Seas Norovirus

Cruise trip is supposed to be a relaxing holiday . But with worrying getting sick, it definitely wasting of money. I even think to cancel the trip even if that means lost 50% of my cruise fare paid.

Some cruises are supposed to be relaxing, yes - but, I mean, there are other travel worries - flying, luggage woes, pick-pockets in Barcelona, bed bugs, hotels, taxis, exchanging currency, worrying about your home and family while you are away... see what I mean? You absolutely could make yourself sick with worry about all these things.

Cancelling is up to you of course but as stated, you can get Noro anywhere, not just on vacation. We have been on a dozen cruises and have never gotten Noro or any other illness. Do what you can to protect yourself but don't obsess about it.

It truly is a shame that you are actually thinking of cancelling the trip for fear of getting sick. If you have a fear of getting sick, do you leave your home? Just wondering because there are lots of bugs floating around everyday that can make you sick.

We leave on June 28th on the Radiance for 14-days and plan to enjoy ourselves whether the ship is sailing with added precautions or not. We were on the Zuiderdam a few years ago and the sailing before us had an outbreak. For our entire trip the crew had to serve all the food in the buffet among other precautions. It didn't deter from our trip one bit.

Go and enjoy yourself. Mind over matter and you'll have a fab time.

You actually plan to take return trip with Radiance?

Sorry, you did not direct this to me, but we sailed on a ship that had just had an outbreak and returned to have deep cleaning (we were fine), and we have been on ships with outbreaks (we were fine). I'm so sorry you are worried about this - it really isn't anything you can control, so decide what is the best for you and your family.

By the way, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your father on a cruise ship but there is no way of knowing how he became ill. Just because he experienced symptoms once onboard does not mean something or someone on the ship made him ill. He very well could have brought it with him; it could have been a long-term, underlying condition.

We, too, have been on several cruises immediately following an outbreak of norovirus without any bad consequences. As others have pointed out, this is something quite common in everyday situations including workplaces, schools, etc. where the reporting requirements are less stringent and thus sometimes gets less public attention. The ships we have been on have been quite serious about taking measures to prevent subsequent outbreaks and statistically I believe that the number of passengers and crew who have been stricken with illness is quite small in contrast to the number of persons onboard. Take ordinary precautions and wash your hands vigorously and often and chances are you will be fine. Unless you are a true germaphobe, your worries may be unnecessary.

The odds of you getting it in those places are higher than on a ship. Think about those shopping carts that kids with runny noses sit in. No wonder they offer wipes (which are always gone) at the entrance of the stores. Just because the ship takes precautions and warns people to me makes it highly safer. No place is immune from germs.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ever wonder why nurses rarely get sick? I worked for a large group of hospitals about 23 years and never had a sick day. wash your hands, use the hand sanitizer every time you walk by one. don't put your hands on your face. avoid the ships public restrooms.

CBS/AP/ June 21, 2013, 11:01 AM

Norovirus outbreaks reported in Yellowstone, Grand Teton parks

last time I was in Yellowstone (past 12 years the last 2 weeks of Sept fishing) there are no cruise ships.

if you even think you are sick stay in your cabin and don't spread it around.

Anyone can get norovirus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The agency recommends proper hand hygiene by washing your hands with soap and water, especially after using the toilet and always before eating or preparing food. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer can reduce the number of germs on your hands in the absence of running water, but the CDC said hand sanitizer is no substitute for soap and water.

If you're feeling sick with a stomach bug, do not prepare food for others until at least three days after you've recovered. Wash all laundry thoroughly, wearing rubber gloves if handling soiled clothing.

Of course! Why wouldn't I? You could fall and break your leg on a cruise ship too (seen it happen) but it wouldn't stop me from cruising. Anything can happen just like in everyday life. If you spend your life worrying about things, you'll never enjoy life.

Life is too short to live it worrying... have fun and live it to your fullest!!

Of course! Why wouldn't I? You could fall and break your leg on a cruise ship too (seen it happen) but it wouldn't stop me from cruising. Anything can happen just like in everyday life. If you spend your life worrying about things, you'll never enjoy life.

Life is too short to live it worrying... have fun and live it to your fullest!!

I mean that RCCL sells north bound and south bound separately . And you bought both sides which is not normal.

For noro, I still worry. Sorry it is my gen to be too much worry everything

Came off Radiance yesterday. Ship is fine.

What the Capt emphasized during all 7 days of cruise was Wash hands, wash hands and wash hands. No one was allowed in dining areas until they used the hand sanitizer. For the first two days, capt was still being cautious - in the windjammer, no one was allowed to select their own food at the food station. Crew members were assigned to each station. You told the crew what you wanted to eat, and they put the food on your plate. By day 3 this restriction was lifted.

I applaud the capt for his extra measures to ensure everyone stayed healthy and enjoyed cruise.

There was an outbreak on the Serenade last June when we were cruising the Med. Thankfully neither one of us came down sick.

My daughter caught the Norovirus a few years ago when we were in California. All of us got sick. It was miserable we were in a hotel room!:(

Then don't go to public places either. Do you know how germy the handrails in the malls are or in movie theatres? And the list goes on.

I'm definitely aware of how germy places other than cruise ships can be. The reason I considered never cruising again, wasn't only being sick that week. The day I started feeling better, Thursday, the ship was affected by Hurricane Sandy. They bolted our Cove Balcony door shut, and the seas were incredibly rough. Good thing I don't get sea sick, because that would have been a double whammy! We ended up spending an extra day at sea sailing in circles off the coast of Florida because it was unsafe to pull into Port Canaveral. Trying to reschedule flights, shuttles, car rentals, etc. with dodgy internet was no fun. (I'd still sail during hurricane season though, but might do things differently. Maybe drive to port)

Came off Radiance yesterday. Ship is fine.

What the Capt emphasized during all 7 days of cruise was Wash hands, wash hands and wash hands. No one was allowed in dining areas until they used the hand sanitizer. For the first two days, capt was still being cautious - in the windjammer, no one was allowed to select their own food at the food station. Crew members were assigned to each station. You told the crew what you wanted to eat, and they put the food on your plate. By day 3 this restriction was lifted.

I applaud the capt for his extra measures to ensure everyone stayed healthy and enjoyed cruise.

Thanks for the info. Looks like there are no more noro outbreaks in June 14 - 21 sailing.

Thanks for the info. Looks like there are no more noro outbreaks in June 14 - 21 sailing.

I know you are a germ worrier, and I don't want to increase your concerns, but I'm here to provide some factual insights for cruisers. You're not quite correct. Just because self-service was reinstated for the buffet, does not mean that there were no cases of noro on this last sailing. If the number of cases were below the CDC threshhold, and below the RCI guidelines, they would not need to continue the "silver service", nor would any report be required to the CDC. Nor would the Captain need to continue making announcements regarding sanitation.

While they are not all noro, I don't think that I was on a single cruise of 4 years working on them, that there was not a couple of gastro-intestinal cases reported to the Medical Center.

I am currently on Radiance:

The captain is speaking now... there are 22 confirmed cases onboard as of today. Again, he is asking everyone to wash their hands. The crew is doing deep cleaning and they have asked the crew, staff & officers to discontinue hand shaking. Self serve is discontinued in the WJ and staff & officers are going outside their normal duties to serve cruisers. Again wash your hands frequently & thoroughly.

That's the latest as we are pulling out of port in Ketchikan right now.

22 cases out of 2500 passengers. 0.9 %.

Go on your cruise and have fun, don't worry about it. :D

22 cases out of 2500 passengers. 0.9 %.

Go on your cruise and have fun, don't worry about it. :D

Actually, the CDC includes the crew in determining whether the outbreak reaches the reportable threshhold, so 2500 pax + 860 crew = 3360 total, so the percentage drops to 0.65%

Actually, the CDC includes the crew in determining whether the outbreak reaches the reportable threshhold, so 2500 pax + 860 crew = 3360 total, so the percentage drops to 0.65%

The percentage is meaningless for my point of view. Even if the percentage reach up to 99% if you not get it . Your percentage 0%. With 0.65%, if you get it your percentage is 100%.

The percentage is meaningless for my point of view. Even if the percentage reach up to 99% if you not get it . Your percentage 0%. With 0.65%, if you get it your percentage is 100%.

I realized early on in this thread that there is nothing that can be done to relieve your anxiety over germs, but other cruisers read these threads, and I wanted to correct a misstatement.

I understand a phobia about germs, but I would like to ask a question: do you use public transportation, or go to restaurants? Do you worry about catching anything from these places? I have been trained by the USPH in their Vessel Sanitation Program for cruise ships, and can answer questions regarding sanitation and illness prevention onboard cruise ships.

I don't think anything we say will help this person with his/her anxiety. I would hate to have a vacation and constantly be worrying about it, which sounds like this will be the case. :(

Looks like no one will give me more comments if I keep worrying about this.

Looks like no one will give me more comments if I keep worrying about this.

Not sure what this post means. Are you looking for comments, or not? If you're looking for reassurance about your cruise in July, that's not going to happen. As several of us have said, noro can strike anywhere, and even if there is no "outbreak", anyone can get noro on any cruise. I'm sorry, but that is what life is like.

Sure being limited to a relatively small space may make it easier to spread, but has anyone read the article today that there is a noro' out break in . . wait for it . . . Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks?

There is also an outbreak at the Boy Scout Camp my boys are heading to tomorrow. I thought about not sending them, but we are going on a cruise with my daughter while they are gone. I figure our chances are about the same of getting it and talked to them about hand washing etc.

Archived