Where to have the best lobster roll in Bar Harbor?

cricri7

Hi guys....I am leaving soon on the Maasdam, June 29th, and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a restaurant in Bar Harbor that would serve good lobster rolls. I have never cruised the Canada New England before so I do not know the ports really well. I will be with my parents and we would love a lobster roll. I do not wish to travel far though to have it. Some restaurant near the tendering would be best because my mom is in good shape but it would be better if she does not have to walk more than 30 minutes to get there.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

When we were in Bar Harbor (last year) we stopped by Addelman's Deli (Main Street) and bought some of their Lobster Rolls and a couple of sodas. We then walked to the nearby park and really enjoyed those amazing lobster rolls. They were about $14 ...but worth every penny. This place is quite popular with the locals who line-up near lunch time to get these fresh lobster rolls.

Hank

If your Mom likes Vera Bradley print articles, there is a store nearby Geddy's on same side of the street with a nice selection. :)

There is a park that might be what Hiltner mentions is directly across the street from the tender terminal. There is another further up the hill and another when you turn right outside the terminal and walk along the way.

I cannot remember the name of the place, but it is an old house renovated into a Cafe. You go up the main street perdendicular and away from the dock for about 3 or 4 blocks and then turn right and go one block. As I recall, its by a bakery. Ask any local for the place that wins the "Best Lobster Rolls" award in the local paper about every year. They were great - well worth the price IMO.

DaveOKC

I cannot remember the name of the place, but it is an old house renovated into a Cafe. You go up the main street perdendicular and away from the dock for about 3 or 4 blocks and then turn right and go one block. As I recall, its by a bakery. Ask any local for the place that wins the "Best Lobster Rolls" award in the local paper about every year. They were great - well worth the price IMO.

DaveOKC

Is that the place next to North Face? We always stop there to buy a Sunday paper. :) They have them on a newsrack.

We had one a piece in May at the Side Street Cafe on Rodrick St in Bar Harbor. It was fantastic. Their homemade blueberry pie was also to die for. The roll was not the cheapest in town I am sure but it was big, fresh, and so so good. Side Street is a few blocks (maybe 3 or 4) from the tender but worth the short walk. Also found a little drug store and a wine shop on the way to pick up "supplies" we had forgotten. :D

As you walk up the hill away from the cruise dock, the quality goes up and the price comes down!

Our favorite is where the locals go. The RUPUNUNI is about two blocks up the hill on your right as you walk up. It has outside seating as well as inside. The lobster rolls are to die for as is the New England Clam Chowder. They serve Lobster Claws as an appetizer! The cost is about half what those places next to the dock charge! This is where the locals go for lobster rolls.

A few years ago the best place was a tired old shack called the Lobster Claw. Some damn fool tore it down to build a new hotel.:mad:

It took us several visits to figure out that the locals go to Rupununi.

Is that the place next to North Face? We always stop there to buy a Sunday paper. :) They have them on a newsrack.

I think you might mean is on Cottage Street, across from the Rite Aid?

Love the lobster, fresh fried clams but another New England specialty is Little Neck Clams!

Any recommendation for a great place to go for "Steamers" in Bar Harbor?

Remember going out with my Dad in Boston and having several buckets of "Steamers."

Great memories and thanks Dad.

Happy Fathers Day

Also good, a VERY local bar called the Whales Tale has great fried clams if you like that and wicked cheap too! Wonderful blackened haddock as well.

Love the lobster, fresh fried clams but another New England specialty is Little Neck Clams!

Any recommendation for a great place to go for "Steamers" in Bar Harbor?

Remember going out with my Dad in Boston and having several buckets of "Steamers."

Great memories and thanks Dad.

Happy Fathers Day

Hope you both mean fried clams with the bellies? :) :D

Only in New England....... Sooooo good with a touch of tartar sauce.

Chief....... I made 4 pounds of steamed clams a few weeks ago. We had steamed clams followed by lobsters for dinner and what a great meal. A wonderful lobster pound near us has the cleanest, freshest clams you can get. I brought them home and cooked them immediately. Delicious!

We live in Bar Harbor , locals goto West Street Cafe , Side Street Cafe , Dog N Pony , all within 10 min walk from pier . Get away from the pier , I agree , price goes down , quality goes up . My fav lunch spot is Thirsty Whale , great lobster rolls .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We live in Bar Harbor , locals goto West Street Cafe , Side Street Cafe , Dog N Pony , all within 10 min walk from pier . Get away from the pier , I agree , price goes down , quality goes up . My fav lunch spot is Thirsty Whale , great lobster rolls .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So sorry, IT IS THE THIRSTY WHALE that I meant. Also if anyone gets over to Southwest Harbor BEALS is great, pick your own lobster, steamers, mussels or whatever.

If anyone is going on a New England and/or Canadian cruise ... and loves lobster rolls ... for lunch we had great fun finding a great lobster roll restaurant in each port and trying one washed down with a local beer.

We compared and discussed the pros and cons of each blend of lobster and totally savored every bite!!:)

I think many of us either have whole steamed lobsters or lobster rolls on that itinerary and certainly we do the comparison thing. :D :) It seems to be a natural part of sailing NE and the Maritimes.

I had whole steamed lobsters in every port on that cruise that I did B2B. And I can't forget the delicious PEI mussels. I would take that cruise again in a heartbeat for some of the ports and all of the lobster.

Archived