shoes on excursions......

sgcass123

Have some questions, although they may seem a bit silly.....

1. Are there any footwear guidelines when entering churches in Italy or Spain? I didn't even think of this until a stranger at a shop told me she had to have her feet covered (no sandals) in Turkey and Greece before she could enter religious buildings.

2. Silly question - what kind of footwear do most tourists wear on their excursions? Tennis shoes? Sandals? I realize that knees/shoulders need to be covered so that means capris for me and capris/longer sundresses for our 14 year old daughter. I realize that tennis shoes will just look plain silly with these items, but being on our feet all day with the uneven roads will take its toll. My daughter really wants to wear sandals, but has easily agreed to wear her tennis shoes as long as we don't take pictures of her feet. Lol I'm hoping that I can tell her that many other people will be in tennis shoes, as well.

Thanks for any input!

Have some questions, although they may seem a bit silly.....

1. Are there any footwear guidelines when entering churches in Italy or Spain? I didn't even think of this until a stranger at a shop told me she had to have her feet covered (no sandals) in Turkey and Greece before she could enter religious buildings.

2. Silly question - what kind of footwear do most tourists wear on their excursions? Tennis shoes? Sandals? I realize that knees/shoulders need to be covered so that means capris for me and capris/longer sundresses for our 14 year old daughter. I realize that tennis shoes will just look plain silly with these items, but being on our feet all day with the uneven roads will take its toll. My daughter really wants to wear sandals, but has easily agreed to wear her tennis shoes as long as we don't take pictures of her feet. Lol I'm hoping that I can tell her that many other people will be in tennis shoes, as well.

Thanks for any input!

Interesting questions. I wore sandals every day in Turkey, Greece, and even in The Vatican. So did most of the other people we saw. There USED TO BE a "no sandals" thing in The Vatican but no more - everyone in our group was wearing sandals - guys included. I can't imagine there is a "shoe" rule in Turkey or Greece but we did not go inside a mosque or church in either country.

I took my tennis shoes for our European cruise last month thinking they would be more comfortable but NO - they were hot and heavy and my sandals became my most comfortable and wonderful shoes and I wore them every day - which surprised me but I loved it!! You will see a lot of people in capris and tennis shoes and sometimes it looks odd but basically, they just look like tourists like the rest of us.

OVERALL: WEAR YOUR MOST COMFORTABLE SHOE, WHATEVER THAT MAY BE!

Sandals are fine for the Vatican or any church in Italy. (As are tennis shoes.)

If you will be visiting a mosque in any country, you have to remove your shoes. I always bring a(nother) pair of socks to put on if I'll be visiting a mosque.

I haven't heard of any restrictions re: footwear for churches in Greece.

For regular excursions I'd encourage wearing shoes that are comfortable and have good cushioning -- those cobblestones and rocky paths can be tough on your feet. I also think it's better to wear shoes that are going to stay on your feet (e.g., not flip flops).

I say let her wear the tennis shoes. I'm middle aged and that's all I wear when touring in Europe. We only go there in the Spring and Fall when it isn't real hot, so I'm either wearing shorts, capris (for churches), or long pants (all with my tennis shoes.)

The cobblestones in Europe are so fatiguing. I agree with the other poster - bring your most comfortable shoes whatever they may be. I always have a 2nd pair with in case one gets wet.

Thanks for the advice and the picture! The picture is actually great to show my daughter! Lol I had foot surgery at Christmastime, and my foot still has not fully healed. Needless to say, my tennis shoes will be my best friend on our vacation. :)

It was so hot the first time I went on a Mediterranean cruise that the only footwear I thought was comfortable was flip flops (the kind like Teva with arch support). I wore these with sleeveless dresses and brought a cheap scarf to wear over my shoulders. For places like Pompeii I wore shorts and sneakers. I'd brought a pair of "comfort" leather sandals, but they rubbed hot spots on my feet and I ended up ditching them next to a trash can. There are also cute athletic-type shoes that are more tailored than running/walking ones. You will definitely be taking lots of pictures!

On a trip to Paris a girlfriend and I decided we were NOT going to look like tourists, i.e., no sneakers. It worked! Other tourists approached us and asked for directions in halting French. We answered with a French accent. It was a lot of fun. The only problem was that our feet were killing us and we were miserable. A resounding vote for sneakers.

I go for good quality leather walking shoes. They are built to support like sneakers (tennis shoes) but look so much better. You may notice that Europeans like good leather shoes.

Good supporting sandals will work for some people but they need to cushion your foot and stay on it when walking on rough terrain (cobblestones).

I take all kinds of shoes...... like to have choices depending on where I am going that day. I also like to be a bit stylish while being comfortable.

For places like Pompeii or ruins - I love my Skeechers. Sorta like sneakers but more stylish. I have black, brown, gray and white ones.....

For more leisurely days - cities or more "in town" I wear sandals but not flip flops - just not appropriate.

Here is a link to the women's section of their website. Scroll down a ways for the cute ones ;) She might like the maryjane type ones as they look cute with sundresses as well as shorts or capris

http://www.skechers.com/women

Hope this helps - have fun on your trip :D

My hint is no new shoes! Blisters can really ruin a vacation.

I've never been a fan of tennis shoes, and instead use active sport type shoes for my day trips. As already mentioned sketchers, merrell, etc all make some really cute shoes that go great with capris and or a sundress.

Also, a great benefit in talking a comfortable, broken in shoes is well you're in Italy. Prior to going home you need to make one last trip and go shoe shopping, and throw out the ones you brought from home. :o

Also, a great benefit in talking a comfortable, broken in shoes is well you're in Italy. Prior to going home you need to make one last trip and go shoe shopping, and throw out the ones you brought from home. :o

I can completely get behind this idea. :D

Converse, Vans (yes, Vans), and "The People's Shoe of Italy", Superga, were all out in mass in Rome the beginning of May. Cruisemom and I have our Supergas :) There was a truly cool pair of Vans in a store window in Campo di Fiore near Roscioli deli/wineshop/restaurant - hot pink with a tropical print on it, too. But, Europeans still frown on the Nike/Adidas running shoe thing unless they are working out (from what I saw). So, see of you daughter can find a pair of Converse she can rock and she will be stylin' with the fashion wave in Europe!!!

My daughter has a pair of gold-sequined Converse she says are really comfortable.....so I think that's perfect! Thanks for the suggestions!

My niece also wore her Converse's - my only suggestion is you might want to get padded or gel inserts. While the shoes are cute, they don't give a lot of support if you're doing a lot of walking on the cobblestones. ;)

I think what they mean by that "no sandals" rule or pictogram is "no FLIP-FLOPS".

According to friend who used to be a security officer for a cathedral in Paris, this is not because of the style of the footwesr per se, but because flip-flops make that, FLIP! FLOP!

Sound.

In a marble covered place like a church, that sounds really echoes....

Archived