Getting off the ship

ade1982

Hi all,

Impending first cruise here, and I have a couple of questions that I have searched and couldn't find (probably meaning they are very stupid!)

We are going with RCI on the Independence of the Seas.

How do people get off the ship at each port, do you just queue and get off, or are you assigned a time to get off, or some other arrangement?

Do the cruise company put on some sort of transport to get you from the cruise terminal to the city centre, or is there even the option? Do you pay for it? Is it the most cost effective way?

If you book an excursion through the ship, presumably you have to be at a certain place at a certain time. How far in advance to they tell you where to be?

Thanks in advance!

some you may tender (ride in a boat) and some have piers.

If you have an excursion the meeting time and place will be printed on your excursion ticket. You will receive those on the ship. A typical example might be 8:30 am in the theater. There you are given a numbered sticker and go with a group to a bus or other transportation.

If you DO NOT have an excursion you are free to walk off and back on as you wish.

(Assuming a pier)

Sometimes there are shuttles or cabs but it depends on the port. In cozumel for instance you can walk off the ship and start shopping immediately.

Hi all,

Impending first cruise here, and I have a couple of questions that I have searched and couldn't find (probably meaning they are very stupid!)

How do people get off the ship at each port, do you just queue and get off, or are you assigned a time to get off, or some other arrangement? Depends on the port. For tendering ports there will be a system. For standard docking, it is pretty much get in line and go. If you have a ship's excursion, you will be told when and where to meet.

Do the cruise company put on some sort of transport to get you from the cruise terminal to the city centre, or is there even the option? Do you pay for it? Is it the most cost effective way? This also varies by port. Many ports are right in town, no shuttle required. Without knowing what ports you are in, can't further answer the question.

If you book an excursion through the ship, presumably you have to be at a certain place at a certain time. How far in advance to they tell you where to be? Usually the info will be in your cabin when you get on board.

Thanks in advance!

Some research on the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

will also be beneficial.

depends. if the port is a tender port, then people, who have ship sponsored tours get first dibs, followed by Suite guests. then everyone else can get off. the tenders actually hold quite a few people and they usually have more than one running at a time.

for regular ports, yes you just line up( again ship sponsored tours get first dibs).

really, all you need to do is wait about 20 minutes after the announcement and then you just walk right off in most cases.

the ports are each different. some you will be right there, others you will have to find your own way to the touristy spots. on occasion there may be free transportation from the pier but do not count on it.

for ship sponsored excursions you get an envelope in your cabin ahead of time.. for my last one, \all of them were in the cabin on embarkation, each one gave instructions on where and when to meet.

In most ports, the ship will be docked. In those, once the ship is clear by local authorities (15 to 30 minutes after arrival usually), passengers can walk off the ship. There is usually a line of people in a hurry to get off. It can take 10 or 15 minutes to clear this mob.

It is a good idea to research each port in advance so you will know if you can do a walk-about on your own, or if you will want to go some distance to see what you want. If you join your cruise's roll call, you can learn a lot from your fellow passengers, and perhaps even join with some for an excursion. But learning a bit about each port in advance is essential --- as an example, in the Mediterranean, the port of Livorno is strictly a cargo port - you would want a ship's tour, or just take a train on your own to Pisa, Florence or Lucca. Then, at Monte Carlo, you can pretty much walk the whole place on your own. Advance homework is essential.

Hi mate, first of all, have an awesome cruise. Indy is a fantastic ship :D

Hi all,

How do people get off the ship at each port, do you just queue and get off, or are you assigned a time to get off, or some other arrangement?

Typically, they will open the doors and you simply leave the ship on a first come first served basis. You line up and they swipe your seapass to check your ID and then walk off the ship. The one difference to this is in ports such as Monte Carlo, Santorini, Cannes and Villefranche where the ship anchors a few hundred meters from the shore and "tenders" ferry you to the port(typically occurs when the port is too small). In this case people on official tours get the right to the first few tenders, and then for the next few after that you will need to collect tickets for them(tickets are FCFS), after the initial rush you can simply walk to the disembarkation deck and line up to get on the next tender. On the way back just queue up at the port, but make sure you leave plenty of time before the last tender.

Do the cruise company put on some sort of transport to get you from the cruise terminal to the city centre, or is there even the option? Do you pay for it? Is it the most cost effective way?

This one depends entirely on the port. Most ports when docked, you're on your own. Tender ports as mentioned you get the complimentary tender but on your own from when you arrive on shore. In Lanzarote there was a free shuttle bus from the port into town, but I'm not aware of any other ports where you do this.

If you book an excursion through the ship, presumably you have to be at a certain place at a certain time. How far in advance to they tell you where to be?

When you get your tickets(if you prebook they deliver to your stateroom) it will have a meetup time and place... be there or be square :D

Have an awesome time and be sure to tell us how you got on :)

If you aren't standing in line BEFORE they open the doors..then you just walk off! When you're docked, it's like leaving a hotel...walk out and back in when you want.

Tendering is a bit more lengthy....as you have to wait for the tender boat to fill, in many cases...and then the time it takes to motor from the ship to shore or vice versa.

It doesn't take long, in either case.

No special planiings, just follow your itenary given to you,.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all your comments.

I've dragged out a few books, but I am absolutely useless at judging how long times take. We've got some idea of where we wish to go at each city, but that's as far as we have got with research ... those were more "starter for 10 questions", which will help us plan and time everything.

I don't think we have any tendered ports. Gibraltar, Cartegena, Barcelona, Palma, Vigo, Lisbon, Cadiz from Southampton.

I usually check each port using Google Earth. You can see where the docks are and how far it might be from the city, what's in the immediate area, etc.

Check the cruise line excursions to see what they offer. Sometimes the ship excursions can be pretty reasonable, especially if the sights you want to see are a distance from the port. It can be worth it not having to worry about transportation and getting back to the ship on time.

Funnily enough, I have a spare 5 mins in work - I am on Google Earth now.

I am half minded to just book all ships excursions, apart from Barcelona (we only want to do Las Ramblas and Placa de Catalunya in particular, which look walkable) and Gibraltar, which also looks walkable to the cable car, and then get on that.

Funnily enough, I have a spare 5 mins in work - I am on Google Earth now.

I am half minded to just book all ships excursions, apart from Barcelona (we only want to do Las Ramblas and Placa de Catalunya in particular, which look walkable) and Gibraltar, which also looks walkable to the cable car, and then get on that.

This will cost you the earth but might be a good idea for a first time cruiser for convenience.

Other than Cartagena, which I don't know, none of your ports are tender ports :)

Which means you join the scrum as soon as clearance is given and you'll be off the ship between one & twenty minutes later, depending on the sharpness of your elbows ;). Or linger over another coffee & just go to the gangway & walk straight off after the melee has died down.

RCI don't offer free shuttles, it's not in their nature. :rolleyes:

Depending where you berth, it's worth taking the payable shuttle at Barca cos it's a long walk through the docks. From where you're dropped you can take a hop-on bus, or Las Ramblas is just across the road.

Like all cruise lines, RCI's excursions are poor value though I can understand the convenience for many folk. Well worth researching before putting your hand in your pocket. Your tickets & instructions are normally delivered to your cabin the day before.

At Gib I'd recommend a taxi tour of the upper Rock rather than the cablecar. It's a 30 minute walk to the cablecar, queues can be horrendous after about 10am (what time do you dock?), and the service is often suspended (pun intended) in moderate winds.

Taxi tours currently cost £22/€25, & include St Michael's cave, the apes' den & the Great Siege tunnel (not to be confused with the WW2 tunnels). Driver can take you back to the ship, or drop you at Casemates Square for a beer or a snack, then walk the shops & minor sights (incl Governor's House & the little Trafalgar cemetery) of Main Street. 15-20 min walk back to the ship.

Lisbon depends where you berth, can be just a few mins walk from the city centre, can be worthy of a bus or hop-on bus or taxi ride if you berth downstream.

Cadiz no need for transport if you just want to wander the city. Or the train station is right by the port if you want to train to Jerez for its sherry bodegas & http://www.realescuela.org/

First cruise, eh?

You register a credit card or bank account-linked debit card when you join the ship. On-board prices are in US dollars, everything you buy on-board (drinks, dining upgrades, excursions, ship's shop purchases etc) are charged to your on-board account.

At some point during the cruise you'll be asked if you'd like them to convert your on-board account to sterling before charging your card.

DECLINE that offer, their exchange rate is poor & you'll get a much better rate by allowing your card issuer to do the conversion.

Same applies to getting euros. Buy before you sail, at the best rate you can find amongst the usual suspects - M&S, Sainsbury, Tesco, Post Office, on-line etc. If you need to top-up, use your debit card in an ATM in one of the ports.

All first cruises are great, have a good one

JB :)

RCI don't offer free shuttles, it's not in their nature. :rolleyes:

In Europe, it is very rare for the cruise line to offer a shuttle. Rather, if a shuttle is required, the port, the city, or so other local government agency will provide the shuttle. It may, or it may not, be free.

Thanks for all your comments.

I've dragged out a few books, but I am absolutely useless at judging how long times take. We've got some idea of where we wish to go at each city, but that's as far as we have got with research ... those were more "starter for 10 questions", which will help us plan and time everything.

I don't think we have any tendered ports. Gibraltar, Cartegena, Barcelona, Palma, Vigo, Lisbon, Cadiz from Southampton.

I usually check the "Ports of Call" threads for each port and read what others have done or are planning to do. You can get some great ideas and excursion reviews. Also, your Roll Call thread will have people on it that have been to these ports before and can help with questions.

Enjoy!

As I recall, there is a city bus from the pier in Barcelona which costs a small fraction of what the cruise line charges for an identical transfer. Also, both Cartagena and Cadiz are excellent cities for walking around - no need for ships tour. I do not know Lisbon or Gibraltar.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Typically (when docked) you just get in the line that is exiting the ship. If you are not docked (tendering) the people with ship sponsored excursions will have priority debarkation.

Typically the cruise lines do not provide transpiration to the city center. However, to get the details on what is offered, you really need to go to the port section and ask separately for each port you will visit.

As to the cruise line excursions, your ticket, which you will get at least by the evening before the tour (many times even earlier than that) will tell you where to meet.

In Europe, it is very rare for the cruise line to offer a shuttle. Rather, if a shuttle is required, the port, the city, or so other local government agency will provide the shuttle. It may, or it may not, be free.

Hi Bruce,

As well as any free port authority shuttles to the gate, P&O, Cunard, Thomson & a few others tend to offer free shuttles into town.

But the nature of RCI (& other mass-market US/Italian lines) is to keep cruise ticket prices low, & make the money up with add-ons such as over-priced shuttles, service charges & more expensive drinks.;)

And sadly Cunard and P&O are heading the same way.:(

Progress, eh? :rolleyes:

Archived