Best place to buy vanilla?

hayesktrm

On our last trip to Cozumel, I bought vanilla, which tasted wonderful! I don't believe it was a bargain, though.

This cruise we are going to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan and I would like to pick up some more. We are going on Victor Bodden's private tour and I know they offer to stop at a local grocery store. I am wondering if the vanilla would be good there or if it's priced better. We are going cave tubing in Belize and I don't know if they have a local store at the restaurant we could buy some.

In Cozumel, is there a good place to buy vanilla?

There are several stores right at the pier that sell it at reasonable prices. Make sure the label has a rooster on it. (That's a guarantee that it's coumadin free.) That's the best kind. The store where we bought ours sold mainly cigarettes and liquor. They even wrapped the vanilla bottles in little expandable sleeves to protect them.

Getting back on the ship, the guy watching the x-ray machine spotted the bottles in our bag and told me I had to turn them in at the desk. I told him that it was vanilla and he just said "OK". I thought afterwards, I wonder if you could get away with that if it was alcohol and just tell them it was vanilla.

There are several stores right at the pier that sell it at reasonable prices. Make sure the label has a rooster on it. (That's a guarantee that it's coumadin free.) That's the best kind. The store where we bought ours sold mainly cigarettes and liquor. They even wrapped the vanilla bottles in little expandable sleeves to protect them.

Getting back on the ship, the guy watching the x-ray machine spotted the bottles in our bag and told me I had to turn them in at the desk. I told him that it was vanilla and he just said "OK". I thought afterwards, I wonder if you could get away with that if it was alcohol and just tell them it was vanilla.

There you go...say it's vanilla....rum.... :D

I always buy mine in Mexico. Prices are decent but not as good as on the mainland. The shop we bought ours at was a big shop that sold pretty much everything.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Always buy some in Cozumel. Need to haggle a bit on the price.

I like to get mine at Los Cinco Soles because I know it's good, but it's not the cheapest. A grocery store would probably be cheaper. Just make sure you check the expiration date and look for a good brand, like Azteca.

I like to get mine at Los Cinco Soles because I know it's good, but it's not the cheapest. A grocery store would probably be cheaper. Just make sure you check the expiration date and look for a good brand, like Azteca.

Agreed, it is the real deal there.

On our last trip to Cozumel, I bought vanilla, which tasted wonderful! I don't believe it was a bargain, though.

This cruise we are going to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan and I would like to pick up some more. We are going on Victor Bodden's private tour and I know they offer to stop at a local grocery store. I am wondering if the vanilla would be good there or if it's priced better. We are going cave tubing in Belize and I don't know if they have a local store at the restaurant we could buy some.

In Cozumel, is there a good place to buy vanilla?

Check to be sure the vanilla doesn't contain coumarin (it wouldn't be coumadin).

You don't want that in your cakes and cookies.

After having brought back from Mexico and Dominican Republic and acknowledging a more significant flavor from their vanilla, I now buy vanilla from William Sonoma. IMO, go to the mall and buy it there. It's safe, you know what is in it, it won't leak in your luggage and is excellent.

For sure, you want the rooster on the label!

Also, the best is not the least expensive. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

We got our Vanilla in Belize after cave tubing. My hubby speaks spanish so that is plus! We always buy at least 5-6 bottles at a time and that helps too. We buy Liter bottles and I think they ran us $4-5 a piece. We are down to one bottle so thank goodness we are going next May. All my vanilla is gonna be gone before then.

Best place to buy food souviners is a local supermarket.

Vanilla is easy to make-- Three beans in a litre of vodka makes a wonderful vanilla.

(A bean stuck into sugar makes vailla sugar, good for those who cannot consume alcohol.)

This seems to be the same place/kind I bought myself last time I was in Cozumel! It's lasted for years and was about $10 for a large bottle. It's 10x better tasting than anything I've bought around home in the grocery store.

Archived