WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

it would also stop most of the inter-crew extortion which does get very nasty.

Do tell us more.....do you know what takes place that can be classed as inter-crew extortion? Is the captain or head waiter really some sort of Don Corleone figure? Are the Triads running the laundry?

Edited by Newtoncruise

Do tell us more.....do you know what takes place that can be classed as inter-crew extortion? Is the captain or head waiter really some sort of Don Corleone figure? Are the Triads running the laundry?
This is an extreme example, a few yrs ago a British chartered ship had a disproportionate number of male/female single pax, the hotel staff were recruited through one agency in Asia.The Hotel manager was sacked and the new hotel staff were recruited from eastern Europe, the number of single pax went back to industry norm. Why do you think that happened.

Tips are part of cruising. If you are too stingy to tip, find another vacation outlet.

It sounds to me that its about cruise lines being too stingy to pay their crew well, this relying on passengers to make up the downfall, so that they can compete for customers when they market their "very competitive cruise prices". To me, it's as simple as that. Maybe if people were happy to pay more for their cruises in the first place, there wouldn't be this problem. I believe that's what happens on some of the more expensive cruises, its all included and the cruise lines advertise at a more expensive price. Unfortunately the majority of us want a good deal, which means perhaps the crew suffer.

Please forgive me for not reading 30+ pages, but we just strolled in late last night from the Jewel's southern itinerary and I'm unpacking and doing tons of laundry! :rolleyes:

We are a family of 3, and the first day I went to GS and had all our automatic tips removed. We tend to tip more (I myself work for tips) and prefer to tip in person.

Of course, we were very generous with our tips and had two discussions with staff about tipping.

The first was the bar service gal in the dining room. My husband wanted to know if the additional tip he was giving her with each bill was going directly to her? If it was not, he had some cash to give her our last night. She said it DOES go directly to her. So, instead of the cash, he added it to the last bill. She also happened to tell us that the dining room servers' tips get pulled into a pool and split up that way. She said they don't like it being done that way (probably for the reason of the less attentive (is there such a server?) getting the same as the server busting their butt!) I was SO glad she said that.

When our server & asst. server came to say goodbye to us our last night, we told them we removed the automatic tip, BUT we still took good care of them...and my husband handed them their envelope with their tip.

They were SO happy! We told them the bar service gal had told us they usually have the tips go into a 'pool' and then split up. I flat out asked them which they prefer....auto or cash tipping. They both said they prefer the cash tips.

So, there you have it. While I agree the auto makes the people who DON'T tip now tip, I wonder if each person is actually getting less money now that they do it that way?

Edited by ryansmom

Please forgive me for not reading 30+ pages, but we just strolled in late last night from the Jewel's southern itinerary and I'm unpacking and doing tons of laundry! :rolleyes:

We are a family of 3, and the first day I went to GS and had all our automatic tips removed. We tend to tip more (I myself work for tips) and prefer to tip in person.

Of course, we were very generous with our tips and had two discussions with staff about tipping.

The first was the bar service gal in the dining room. My husband wanted to know if the additional tip he was giving her with each bill was going directly to her? If it was not, he had some cash to give her our last night. She said it DOES go directly to her. So, instead of the cash, he added it to the last bill. She also happened to tell us that the dining room servers' tips get pulled into a pool and split up that way. She said they don't like it being done that way (probably for the reason of the less attentive (is there such a server?) getting the same as the server busting their butt!) I was SO glad she said that.

When our server & asst. server came to say goodbye to us our last night, we told them we removed the automatic tip, BUT we still took good care of them...and my husband handed them their envelope with their tip.

They were SO happy! We told them the bar service gal had told us they usually have the tips go into a 'pool' and then split up. I flat out asked them which they prefer....auto or cash tipping. They both said they prefer the cash tips.

So, there you have it. While I agree the auto makes the people who DON'T tip now tip, I wonder if each person is actually getting less money now that they do it that way?

I didn't realize that the auto tips were all pooled and divided amongst the diningroom staff. We left the auto tips on our last cruise but if I had known this I would have taken them off and given them cash. My reason is that we had our table moved after the first night because our waiter and assistant were the worst. I've never experienced that before and usually would have just stayed put but my DH and I could not handle being at that table for 10 nights. Our new waiter and assistant were wonderful. Next time I'm giving them cash for sure. Plus I like the old way of handing them an envelope on the last night. In my opinion the diningroom is half the experience of a cruise. From the corny singing that they do (which I love BTW) to the Head Waiter walking around and talking to you. I love it and don't mind paying the tips to those that are hard working.

I didn't realize that the auto tips were all pooled and divided amongst the diningroom staff. We left the auto tips on our last cruise but if I had known this I would have taken them off and given them cash. My reason is that we had our table moved after the first night because our waiter and assistant were the worst. I've never experienced that before and usually would have just stayed put but my DH and I could not handle being at that table for 10 nights. Our new waiter and assistant were wonderful. Next time I'm giving them cash for sure. Plus I like the old way of handing them an envelope on the last night. In my opinion the diningroom is half the experience of a cruise. From the corny singing that they do (which I love BTW) to the Head Waiter walking around and talking to you. I love it and don't mind paying the tips to those that are hard working.

The cash tips go into the same pool that the prepaid, mtd, or the daily so it makes no difference, in other words the person you hand the tip to is supposed to turn it in, would some keep it, maybe, but soon or later they will be found out as it takes money out of the pockets of the rest of the crew.

The cash tips go into the same pool that the prepaid, mtd, or the daily so it makes no difference, in other words the person you hand the tip to is supposed to turn it in, would some keep it, maybe, but soon or later they will be found out as it takes money out of the pockets of the rest of the crew.

So it doesn't matter how much extra I give my waiter? Everybody gets the same amount. So why bother giving my waiter an extra $20, if it only ends up getting divided 100 ways?

Not much incentive to work harder if everyone gets paid the same amount.

By the way I don't believe the waiters' entire gratuity (or anyone else's) goes into a pool. Maybe some %, but not the entire amount. And I hate these tipping threads.

This is an extreme example, a few yrs ago a British chartered ship had a disproportionate number of male/female single pax, the hotel staff were recruited through one agency in Asia.The Hotel manager was sacked and the new hotel staff were recruited from eastern Europe, the number of single pax went back to industry norm. Why do you think that happened.

And this was brought about by people not paying their tips :eek::eek:

So it doesn't matter how much extra I give my waiter? Everybody gets the same amount. So why bother giving my waiter an extra $20, if it only ends up getting divided 100 ways?

Not much incentive to work harder if everyone gets paid the same amount.

By the way I don't believe the waiters' entire gratuity (or anyone else's) goes into a pool. Maybe some %, but not the entire amount. And I hate these tipping threads.

If you give something extra than the standard amount they do get to keep it. The extra does not go into the pool. They even give you a WOW envelope for an additional gratuity to reward exceptional service.

Edited by Charles4515

the first thing we do when we get on board is go to guest services to have the tips removed (well not the first thing...) but not to cheat anyone of their tips... we still tip the recommended amount or more.... i just feel like it's a tip for service you shouldn't pay it before you get the service... i wouldn't go into a restaurant and tip before i eat... or check into a hotel and tip the maid the first night for the whole week... its just a personal preference i've never had a bad experience but what if i did what if a got a really bad server who who did something so unthinkable that i can't even think of an example right now, it would be harder to remove tips once they have been applied and charged...

I did my first cruise with RCI in April on the Oasis. I did remove our tips because first off, I like to tip the people that assists me, no one else. I didn't even I to the MDR but once, and we did tip our waiter that night. On the disembarkation day, we had our room open and Omar (our room attendant) told us why did you remove the tips? Didn't you like my service? I told him I did, I actually did, and that I would leave him a better tip in cash. I did not like that at all, because I felt he was requesting a tip when it is not mandatory at all. If it was, then they would be including it on the cruise price, like Seabourn for example.

I don't get people getting angry with people removing tips. I would get it if they just wouldn't leave anything at all. I like personally giving them a cash tip, cause that the reward for their service, good or bad.

On the disembarkation day, we had our room open and Omar (our room attendant) told us why did you remove the tips? Didn't you like my service?

He was probably concerned that he had done something that prompted removal of the tips. And he might have been hoping to rectify before receiving bad comments.

If tips are automatically applied and someone chooses to remove them, I think it is reasonable for the server or cabin attendant to ask if something was wrong with the service.

He was probably concerned that he had done something that prompted removal of the tips. And he might have been hoping to rectify before receiving bad comments.

If tips are automatically applied and someone chooses to remove them, I think it is reasonable for the server or cabin attendant to ask if something was wrong with the service.

I agree with you. I think it showed concern and a genuine interest in learning and correcting a possible issue. However, it might have come off a bit better to the customer if he had asked if there was anything wrong with his service without mentioning that the tips were removed.

I did my first cruise with RCI in April on the Oasis. I did remove our tips because first off, I like to tip the people that assists me, no one else. I didn't even I to the MDR but once, and we did tip our waiter that night. On the disembarkation day, we had our room open and Omar (our room attendant) told us why did you remove the tips? Didn't you like my service? I told him I did, I actually did, and that I would leave him a better tip in cash. I did not like that at all, because I felt he was requesting a tip when it is not mandatory at all. If it was, then they would be including it on the cruise price, like Seabourn for example.

I don't get people getting angry with people removing tips. I would get it if they just wouldn't leave anything at all. I like personally giving them a cash tip, cause that the reward for their service, good or bad.

I am with Omar in that you removed the tip, didn't tip any cash the last night which is when the majority of people who plan to tip something in cash do so. You were just about off the ship and still hadn't tipped, so he wanted to know what he did wrong.

Had you tipped him the night before, there wouldn't have been any question. Had I been Omar, I would have felt the same way as it appears to me you were going to stiff the steward. You said you did tip, but waiting until the last minute when you might not see the steward to personally hand him your cash, as the stewards are extremely busy turn around day, it appeared you weren't going to. It's almost like you were caught like the deer in the headlights.

I don't feel the steward did anything wrong. JMO.

I agree with you. I think it showed concern and a genuine interest in learning and correcting a possible issue. However, it might have come off a bit better to the customer if he had asked if there was anything wrong with his service without mentioning that the tips were removed.

I completely agree but since was the morning of departure, I think it was reasonable for him to mention the reason he was asking.

It is correct that tips are not mandatory but they are expected. Most people do tip so I'm sure Omar was wondering if he had done something wrong.

I am with Omar in that you removed the tip, didn't tip any cash the last night which is when the majority of people who plan to tip something in cash do so.

I think this is the issue. The poster should have tipped the night before, and then there would not have been an issue.