Cruising out of San Juan

nbsjcruiser

Do you leave from the same port that the ships dock in when they visit for the day, i.e. in Old San Juan? If not, how far away from Old San Juan is the dock?

Royal embarks at the Pan American pier for the start and end of cruises. It's pretty far from the docks in OSJ, not walking distance for us. I think the taxi ride was about 15 minutes because of traffic the day we went to OSJ between consecutive cruises.

Royal embarks at the Pan American pier for the start and end of cruises. It's pretty far from the docks in OSJ, not walking distance for us. I think the taxi ride was about 15 minutes because of traffic the day we went to OSJ between consecutive cruises.

Just to add to Bob's excellent response.

RCCL docks in Old San Juan if that is your port stop for one day.

To the OP:

Book yourself a nice hotel in Old San Juan and then plan on taking a taxi to the pier. San Juan is one of our favorite embarkation ports -- we've booked our third cruise out of there for next year!

Ann

I agree with TexasAnn. Old San Juan is a great city, I used to travel there a lot and loved to visit the city. The ship sails from a port across the harbor but it is an each taxi ride in the morning. You also don't want to visit PR without experiencing a taxi ride....lol.

I have wanted to try a sailing from SJ but have a few questions. What makes the port better than a Florida port? What is the normal age group? (Mid Sept) Also is the crowd a mix of people like we normally find out of Florida ports, or will it be more SJ locals? Any advice is appreciated.

I have wanted to try a sailing from SJ but have a few questions. What makes the port better than a Florida port? What is the normal age group? (Mid Sept) Also is the crowd a mix of people like we normally find out of Florida ports, or will it be more SJ locals? Any advice is appreciated.

We like sailing out of San Juan because we're starting from the Caribbean, and not using a day or two to get there. You can also get to the Southern Caribbean ports like Aruba in a 7 day cruise.

If all you want to do is get on the ship and start cruising, San Juan is not better. Although as another person said, it is closer to more southerly islands, so if you'd like to see those it's the right place to start from.

If you see the departure port as a destination in itself, however, San Juan is very different from Florida ports. We spent two days there before our cruise, and found endless interesting and beautiful spots. It's very safe and walkable, and beautifully restored from the colonial days. There are many delightful places to eat, or stop and spend time sipping a cool drink while you watch the old city in action. It is also very expensive, as is any place where the real estate is limited. There are no bargains in Old San Juan, but it's worth paying the money if you want to take the time to enjoy it.

Ships stopping for the day are located right at a dock in the old city, with all its charms. Ships debarking for a cruise are located in a completely different area, a $20 cab fare away from the old city, at the Pan Am pier. There is nothing charming or interesting there.

Edited by wassup4565

Thanks to all that replied. I'm in the planning stages now for our 2015 cruise (yep, 2015 - I like to plan ahead) and I'm 99% sure we're finally going to do a San Juan cruise, something I've wanted to do for years. We've got air miles to spare right now and so free air is making this so much more do-able. The only thing that is going to take some work is finding a hotel. I think the Villa Herencia might be our first choice. I know exactly where this is and staying right in the heart of OSJ in an older style hotel and not a "normal" hotel really appeals to me. Anyone ever stay there? Here's their web site: http://www.villaherencia.com/

Thanks to all that replied. I'm in the planning stages now for our 2015 cruise (yep, 2015 - I like to plan ahead) and I'm 99% sure we're finally going to do a San Juan cruise, something I've wanted to do for years. We've got air miles to spare right now and so free air is making this so much more do-able. The only thing that is going to take some work is finding a hotel. I think the Villa Herencia might be our first choice. I know exactly where this is and staying right in the heart of OSJ in an older style hotel and not a "normal" hotel really appeals to me. Anyone ever stay there? Here's their web site: http://www.villaherencia.com/

We did a repo cruise on the Grandeur to Baltimore. Even without free air miles SJU is affordable. We spent $106 pp on Jet Blue from Richmond to SJU for our one way flight. Got a ride from the port in Baltimore with a relative. That was cheaper than paying parking at the port. :)

The ships will have a lot more locals. I just sailed on jewel out of San Juan and it was 85% locals.

I think it just depends on the week you sail.. Our first time out of SanJuan a few years ago I would say about 65 to 70% locals.

Our cruse a few weeks ago I would say 25% locals..

Either way I love cruising from San Juan, charming place to stay and I love getting to some of the smaller more southern islands!

I like cruising out of SJU because you go to better ports ( imo ) in only a 7 days cruise. I found that there is a good mix and also a mix of ages.

Also thinking of a cruise from San Juan. So the Pan Am pier is very close to the airport, if I am reading the map right. Any hotel near the pier/airport?

The airport next to the pier is not the international airport (SJU) that airlines use to fly into San Juan. I don't think there are any hotels right near the pier.

Also thinking of a cruise from San Juan. So the Pan Am pier is very close to the airport, if I am reading the map right. Any hotel near the pier/airport?

I agree with Bob, I don't think there are any hotels near the port or airport... but honestly, it's not the best area to spend a day in San Juan anyway.

Look for something either in Old San Juan or the Condado (hope I spelled that right) area. If you're going to go at least a day before your cruise, you might as well enjoy the city.

Ann

Like Bob said, the airport next to the Pan Am pier is a small local airport, not the same on most airlines use. There are local commuter airlines that fly to other islands, but the big boys are supposed to use SJU, although one did land there by mistake once.

I agree with Bob, I don't think there are any hotels near the port or airport... but honestly, it's not the best area to spend a day in San Juan anyway.

Look for something either in Old San Juan or the Condado (hope I spelled that right) area. If you're going to go at least a day before your cruise, you might as well enjoy the city.

Ann

We stayed in Isla Verde. It is very near the airport. It is the next zone for the taxi. It is a very nice beach area. We have visited Old SJU several times and wanted a quiet couple of days before our cruise. The hotel organized a very nice tour for our traveling companions, who had never visited before.

A couple of replies to previous questions/comments:

• I have not yet stayed at the Villa Herencia, but will be staying there in March 2014. I can certainly let you know how it is. The facility is very well reviewed on Trip Advisor and prices and location are terrific.
  • I beg to differ with the comment that if all you want to do is get on the ship and cruise, starting from San Juan makes no difference. My 2014 cruise will be the first time I've arrived the day prior to embarkation day in order to enjoy sight-seeing in OSJ, however I've cruised from San Juan 3 times before. I like leaving from San Juan because the ports of call are close together, making for a port intensive experience. The islands in that area are also very diverse - from virtually undeveloped (Dominica) to modeern and touristy (Barbados).

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!

I haven't stayed there. I personally always stay at the ritz near the airport always have a great experience

I think it just depends on the week you sail.. Our first time out of SanJuan a few years ago I would say about 65 to 70% locals.

Our cruse a few weeks ago I would say 25% locals..

Either way I love cruising from San Juan, charming place to stay and I love getting to some of the smaller more southern islands!

Idk everytime ive left from PR there have been more locals. That's been the same case with all my cruises from there. My most recent was the worse by far. Granted jewel was the smallest ship I've left from PR on.

The ships will have a lot more locals. I just sailed on jewel out of San Juan and it was 85% locals.

If that's the case then the airport will be pretty quiet mid-morning which will be perfect for me. Thanks for the info.

If that's the case then the airport will be pretty quiet mid-morning which will be perfect for me. Thanks for the info.

My flight arrived at 8:30am ish and there was no one there.

I left at 6:20pm again very quiet. That was the jet blue terminal though

My flight arrived at 8:30am ish and there was no one there.

I left at 6:20pm again very quiet. That was the jet blue terminal though

We're arriving the day before so we have lots of time but we're flying to St. Maarten at 10:30 the a.m. of disembarkation but we will have only carry on by that point. Didn't want to waste a day so we decided to take the first flight out.:)