Royal Caribbean Shareholder Benefit Info.

We occasionally book an Ocean View stateroom on a 3 or 4 day cruise. In that case, we use the shareholder benefit OBC because it is more ($50 vs $25) than the on board booking OBC.

Stock for OBC:rolleyes:

For the same amount of money to buy 100 shares, around 3500 with fee you could buy RCI's corporate debt paying 7% a year. That's around 210.00$ in interest you can use or combine any way you want any time you want. no paper work and nothing to submit. Buy enough, it can pay for a cruise every year, no brainer:D

If you are MTD with prepaid gratuities can you use the shareholder OBC or any other OBC for that matter to "pay off" and get a credit for the pre paid gratuities

No, unfortunately anything you pay for before the cruise starts cannot be offset with OBC.

No, unfortunately anything you pay for before the cruise starts cannot be offset with OBC.

could I therefore change to first or second seating before final pay date , not prepay the gratuities and then on the ship change to MTD and ask that the gratuities be paid by my OBC

Edited by badatz

I have done that. I usually do regular dining, but sometimes I cruise with folks who do MTD. I always plan to be among the first folks on the ship and I head right to the MTD folks to swap. The gratuities get charged to my on board account and are offset by the OBC.

The stockholder benefit works best for folks who book insides and OV's. Yes, you can buy next cruise certificates and hold them and you can hope for coupon, but the reality is that you can always get the stockholder benefit if you're not using the balcony discount. I'm cruising quite a bit this year and will get $700, which will cover my tips. For a 14+ day cruise you get $250.

Edited by 138east

I have done that. I usually do regular dining, but sometimes I cruise with folks who do MTD. I always plan to be among the first folks on the ship and I head right to the MTD folks to swap. The gratuities get charged to my on board account and are offset by the OBC.

sounds like a plan

could I therefore change to first or second seating before final pay date , not prepay the gratuities and then on the ship change to MTD and ask that the gratuities be paid by my OBC

Yes, you can do that, though there's a slight chance that MTD would be full.

Stock for OBC:rolleyes:

For the same amount of money to buy 100 shares, around 3500 with fee you could buy RCI's corporate debt paying 7% a year. That's around 210.00$ in interest you can use or combine any way you want any time you want. no paper work and nothing to submit. Buy enough, it can pay for a cruise every year, no brainer:D

Good idea in theory, however the minimum purchase on RCL's 6.875% (12/1/13) bonds is $75,000 and the minimum purchase on their 7.25% (6/15/16) bonds is $30,000:eek:

Good idea in theory, however the minimum purchase on RCL's 6.875% (12/1/13) bonds is $75,000 and the minimum purchase on their 7.25% (6/15/16) bonds is $30,000:eek:

Well, the $30,000 bond purchase at 7.25% would pay you $2175 a year. Even after taxes, that would cover a good percentage of a week long cruise.

Well, the $30,000 bond purchase at 7.25% would pay you $2175 a year. Even after taxes, that would cover a good percentage of a week long cruise.

True, but if I had a spare $30,000 lying around, I probably wouldn't be agonizing too much over a $100 OBC;)

The Shareholder benefit is a nice little extra OBC. Now, if you purchased your cruise through a TA and they gave you OBC, could you also use the shareholder benefit?

Also, if you have Royal Caribbean Visa card OBC purchased with points, can that also be used with the shareholder credit?

I know the Carnival Corp. stock allows you to use it, but it sounds like, no, on Royal stock.

BTW, does Royal Caribbean stock pay a dividend?

Edited by suzyed

I am thinking of cashing in my shares. I made more than a 50% profit from when I bought them and was able to use the credits for a few years before RCCL/Celebrity disallowed combining benefits. Spread over 11 cruises, $3500 would give the equivalent of $300 OBC's with a couple of hundred to offset a wine bill on one cruise...:)

The Shareholder benefit is a nice little extra OBC. Now, if you purchased your cruise through a TA and they gave you OBC, could you also use the shareholder benefit? Yes.

Also, if you have Royal Caribbean Visa card OBC purchased with points, can that also be used with the shareholder credit? Yes.

I know the Carnival Corp. stock allows you to use it, but it sounds like, no, on Royal stock.

BTW, does Royal Caribbean stock pay a dividend? Yes, they just started it up again a few quarters ago.

See answers above in RED.

BTW, that's $30,000 in face value. The spot price is currently $111, so you'd have to invest $33,300 + brokerage fees, so you're probably looking at something more along the lines of $34,000. If you invested the same amount in RCL stock at today's opening price it would generate more than $125 every quarter in dividends.

Since that bond matures in two years, you would have eight coupons left on it, giving you a total return of $4,350. If you subtract the 3,300 premium and the brokerage fees, you'd net approximately $500 on your investment, so you might just breakeven compared to the same investment in stock :(

Edited by orville99

Its not a theory:D:cool:

I think the last ones I saw on the secondary were due in 28 and I believe were selling for around 105. Of course they can be there 1 hour and gone the next. If you want them you have to have the money ready and a broker watching for you, but it just ain't that hard:) You certainly would not want 13 or 16 as a due date and paying a lot over par. They just floated a bunch I believe at the first of 12 and I think those are the ones due in 28. RCI is using that money to pay off/call the 13 and 16 bonds

The broker rates for the bonds I buy are built in to the price so when you buy no other fees

Edited by setsail

• 1 year later...