Blister Prevention Tips!

ducklite

A few tips for blister prevention...

Double layer Wright Socks. I've tried just about every brand of socks that claim to prevent blisters, and the ONLY ones that work (almost) 100% of the time are these. When I'm going on long runs (half marathons for example) I have two spots (top of one toe and along one ankle bone that I add a smidge of Body Glide as I know that they are problems for me. They are sold at some sporting goods stores, I buy mine off of Amazon or when I go to Marathon Expo's. I run an average of 150 miles a month and my feet are blister free.

Which brings me to my next hint. Body Glide works wonders. It's a light, non-sticky, non-greasy product that comes in a stick form like a deodorant that you apply to areas likely to chafe or blister. Be cautious with the soles of your feet, as you don't want to slip. You can find it in better sporting goods stores as well as any running or bicycling store.

And last but not least, Moleskin. Use it over blisters if you don't catch them in time, but better yet, carry it with you and apply as needed as soon as hot spots begin but before they blister. It will stay put even if it gets wet.

Anyone else have tips they'd like to share?

thumbs up on the Wright socks! I've got quite a few pair of them. I just wish I could get them in more than white and charcoal:)

My recommendations: I have a spot on my one little toe that consistently rubs with just about any shoe if I'm out and about for a long time. I found some elastic/gel tubes on the Foot Smart website. I cut one to size and slip it over my toe before I put my socks and/or shoes on. Works wonders for my little toe! http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Digi-Cushions-Regular-2-tubes-40034.aspx

I also travel with a bunch of the Band-Aid brand Blister Cushions. They are individually packaged, just like the regular Band-Aid bandages. I'll pop a couple in my purse. If I feel something happening on the heel, I'll put one of these on right away. I'll have the Moleskin back at the hotel/ship, where I can custom cut a piece if needed. They are good for when the blister has already formed - it doesn't peel off the blister like taking off Moleskin can do.

Amazon has them in day-glo pink!

ooh ooh!!! Heading there NOW!!! REI only has them in those two bland colors. I did just get a pair of Thorlo Experia micro mini running socks with Electric Yellow bands at the top. They have the usual Thorlo padding on the bottom, but very lightweight on top.

EDITED TO ADD 5 MINUTES LATER: ducklite, you are evil!!! I went to Amazon and found a 4-pack of Wrightsock socks - one white, one Neon Pink, one Neon Yellow, one Neon Green!!!!! Best part, the price was $29.95 for the 4-pack - a little less than $7.50/pair!!!!! You better believe I snatched up one of those packs. I'm a firm believer in showing some sassy color in my socks :-)

I always carry mole skin but remember .....it goes on the shoes NOT the skin!

No, it can go on the skin IF the blister has not developed. If the blister has developed, you cut a opening slightly larger than the blister in order for the blister to breathe through. It's been those instructions since I was a Girl Scout waaaaaaaay back in the day... If you look at the packaging that Moleskin comes in, it shows the product ON the skin.

Where did you read/told that it goes on the shoes instead of the skin?

If you don't want your skin to peel off then just stick it on the shoe and it was my podiatrist that told me no skin, shoe only.

You don't want to irritate the area more, open blister or just a hot spot.

Of course you do what works for you.

If you don't want your skin to peel off then just stick it on the shoe and it was my podiatrist that told me no skin, shoe only.

You don't want to irritate the area more, open blister or just a hot spot.

Of course you do what works for you.

I just follow the instructions good old Dr. Scholls gave me decades ago ;)

The thing about cutting the hole around the affective area has done me well all these years. It's one of the reasons I always carry my Swiss Army Camper knife with me (It's still the original one I bought back in 1972!!!)

Your podiatrist's suggestion to put the Moleskin on your shoe is an OK one. But, doesn't it leave nasty sticky stuff on the shoe??? Or, do you just leave it on your shoe for as long as you own the shoe?

Give those Band-Aid blister things a try - they are pretty darn handy and good and they don't leave gook on your foot OR your shoe.

ducklite - I got my Wrightsocks delivered Monday. Wore the neon green ones yesterday. I might have to go back and order another 4-pack!!!! The price is just too good to pass up, since they are usually $11/pair. They go really well with my bright Blue and neon Orange Salomon Synapse trail runners!!!

I once did a musical that required me to wear biblical sandals with a thong. My feet cannot handle those things! I found a product called Blis-stop at walgreens and it worked wonders at preventing soreness and blistering. Its a tiny can and a clear spray. It creates a thin layer on the skin and protects it from the friction.

I've put Moleskin on both my shoe and right over a blister. Moleskin will peel off a blister after it gets soaked with water for a few minutes, just peel gently and it will come off.

I don't run, but I hill walk about 128 miles a month (exercise, not including life walking) we live in S CA hills, I've done upscale and downscale treatments & the simplest solution I've found is plain old secret powder scented deodorant, smear it anywhere you think you might have chaffing & you're good to go.

I'll just say for everyone to pack bandaids and more than one pair of walking shoes (LOL, we are ladies...) because even a pair of shoes you have worn for years that are perfectly comfortable and broken in....may give you blisters on a cruise. The heat, being on your feet, cobblestones perhaps, more sodium, less water....your feet swell.

I'll just say for everyone to pack bandaids and more than one pair of walking shoes (LOL, we are ladies...) because even a pair of shoes you have worn for years that are perfectly comfortable and broken in....may give you blisters on a cruise. The heat, being on your feet, cobblestones perhaps, more sodium, less water....your feet swell.

Very true. I carry bandaids in my purse all the time, just in case.

Archived