Just Back from Westerdam

We just got home yesterday from an amazing cruise to Alaska June 22-29 on the Westerdam. The weather couldn't have been better. 80 in Juneau and 70's in Sitka and Ketchikan. Even cruising Glacier Bay was sunny. It was so sunny that a bear swam by our ship! Seriously! The ranger said it was highly unusual and that he must have been particularly warm. Now that was a sight to see. The following is a short review.

Embarkation-

This was the best we had ever experienced! There was NO line. We arrived later that I had planned (1pm) due to a marathon that closed down the freeway and delayed many passengers. We ended up sailing about an hour later then planned. I was happy that HAL made that call. We were able to go straight to our room. We had missed the Mariners luncheon so I was worried that the Lido would be a mess but was pleasantly surprised when I found that the line was not huge but instead manageable.

Rooms- 7090,7092 and 7094 VA

The rooms were a little small. We were glad that we chose to book separate rooms for the kids. The veranda did add some much needed space. They were located by the elevator. If you are a light sleeper don't book these rooms, otherwise the location is great. The stairs are right outside these rooms to so it is convenient to get to everything. We had one exceptional room steward and one adequate. The veranda doors were opened right away so the kids and grandma could traverse to any of the three rooms at any time. The bathrooms had a tub, but otherwise were standard.

Food-

We enjoyed our dinning experience thoroughly! We did try to book Pinnacle a couple of times throughout the cruise but they were all booked for a party of 6. If you are a large party, book before you go or forget it. The MDR did a great job. We ate there every night and alternated between the MDR, Lido and room service for breakfast and lunch. We did the anytime dining option. I will do that from now on. We eat early (just after 5) so when we arrived I gave all three room numbers, asked for a window seat and got one almost every night. I have never had such a great matradee experience. We tipped him extra at the end of the cruise.:) My favorite thing was the steak and the brie in phyllo dough. My least favorite? The crab and corn chowder. Really, there was no flavor at all. But all in all, the food was good. Expect Salmon and Baked Alaska to be offered every night. Loved it!

Entertainment-

It was fine, not great but they did bring in a Magician that was good and one of the comics was good. The regular singers and dancers were fine. Nothing compares to Disney for Entertainment so I try to keep my expectations down. All in all we had fun at the shows.

Teen program-

This was a REAL disappointment! After our last HAL cruise my daughter practically demanded that we take another one because the kids program was so good. This time she and my niece went to the first meeting and would not go back. It took me all week to finally get an answer out of them as to why. Apparently there is a game that they play called "Two Truths and One Lie." where you are supposed to tell two truths and one lie about yourself and the teens are supposed to figure out which one is the lie. Without going into nauseating detail, suffice it to say that both of the girls were embarrassed to the point where they wouldn't return to the program. (I didn't find out until Friday evening as I'm filling out the survey)I'm thinking maybe a little more training as to what you can say to teen age girls may be required by HAL. I put this on the comment card and moved on. The girls were old enough to participate in most of the adult activities onboard and they had fun so I'm moving on.

Service-

In one word GREAT! We loved the service and will definitely sail with HAL again.

Ports-

Juneau- We rented a van ($100) and went to Mendenhal Glacier. This was fun, but if you are traveling with older people beware that it is a LONG walk from the tendering point to the car rental agency so be prepared to leave them at the ship and come back with a car. It was 80 degrees even at the glacier so after walking to Nugget Falls it was so refreshing to take off our shoes and socks and stand in the lake. We got to touch Glacier ice in the visitors center too. We saw a glacier movie in the visitors center and then headed back. It was a great day!

Glacier Bay- We saw SO much wildlife! We saw whales on our way into the bay and many eagles. Two eagles went by us traveling on a piece of glacier ice! Then to our amazement a bear swam in front and then along side of the ship! The glacier made a lot of popping noise but only a little ice fell off. On the way out of the bay we saw more whales and some sea otters. It was beautiful!

Sitka-

This was my favorite port. We took a shuttle to the Bear Fortress.($13pp including entry and transportation. Leaves every hour right where you get off the ship from tendering) Here we saw 5 different bears that have been saved from being put down. Eagles hang around this area and try to "steal" fish from the bears. It is quite amazing to see. We were going to go to the Raptor Center but after seeing so many eagles at the Bear Fortress, we didn't feel the need. We took the bus back to the Raptor Center and walked back to town through an amazing rainforest that has a Totem Pole National Park contained within. The park and visitor center is free. We then walked the short trip back to town and did some shopping.

Ketchikan-

Fun port. We did the trolley excursion. ($29 pp) It took us to Saxman village where we saw people making totem poles. There are many Totems here. They then drop you at Creek Street. Many great shops and of course Dolly's house. It was nice not having to tender into port.

Victoria-

We did the City Highlights and Castle tour. It was good. We saw a lot of houses and then the city parliament at night. The tour of the "castle" was good. It is an old home built by a man who got rich on coal. It took close to 3 hours. ($56 pp)

Overall we had an amazing cruise. My motto on vacation is to have a good time so I don't let little things get to me. If something doesn't taste good I don't eat it, if something in the room gets missed I don't look at it and if my kids have issues with the programs I have them do something else. We loved the Westerdam and HAL and I hope to return soon!

"Teen program-

This was a REAL disappointment! After our last HAL cruise my daughter practically demanded that we take another one because the kids program was so good. This time she and my niece went to the first meeting and would not go back. It took me all week to finally get an answer out of them as to why. Apparently there is a game that they play called "Two Truths and One Lie." where you are supposed to tell two truths and one lie about yourself and the teens are supposed to figure out which one is the lie. Without going into nauseating detail, suffice it to say that both of the girls were embarrassed to the point where they wouldn't return to the program. (I didn't find out until Friday evening as I'm filling out the survey)I'm thinking maybe a little more training as to what you can say to teen age girls may be required by HAL. I put this on the comment card and moved on. The girls were old enough to participate in most of the adult activities onboard and they had fun so I'm moving on."

That is too bad. Obviously this was mishandled in some way. I have played this game at seminars and other events - it is an ice breaker, and can be lots of fun. But - I can just imagine it with mixed company of teenagers if not supervised adequately. :eek:

JakkoJakko, I read that review and felt so bad for them. We only had 1 time where the staff wasn't pleasant and it was a passing remark that we quickly forgot. At all other times the staff was amazing. My daughter especially enjoyed the dinning room staff who were so attentive to her. She is a vegetarian and they went out of their way to ask her if she wanted something else or if they could talk to a chef for her to see if they could make it "meatless". The comment about the ping pong tables was true but once we went to the front desk and asked for balls, they were at the tables from then on. Victoria was tricky, we went to the MDR at 5 to be at the excursion by 6:30. When we came back the Lido was open for a "late night snack" so there must have been some mix up the week they went.

Great review - thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Sounds like a great cruise.

I hope HAL takes good note of your comments about the teen club.

Thank you for your review. We are taking this same cruise on July 13th. I'll have to warn my 12 yr old daughter about the game-she embarasses easily.

I think alot of your experience depends on your attitude- sounds like you have a good one.

Archived