Please help with cabin choices

Looking to go on a cruise with our kids (boy & girl 13) in April of 14. Looking at the Freedom. Our concern is sleep arrangements. My son & daughter do not want to sleep together on the sofa bed. I don't see any rooms that have 2 bunks. Plus, if you have 2 bunks, can the main bed still be pushed together? Someone recommended my husband & I sleep on the sofa bed & put our kids in 2 twins. But, since we are paying for the cruise, I want to sleep in comfort and not on a sofa bed! Sorry, just my opinion. Can someone please give us some suggestions? We have looked at booking adjoining rooms, but this seems it could be expensive. Has anyone ever booked a JR Suite and used an air mattress? I am sure the ship does not have rollaway beds. My husband and I have always cruised alone so this was never an issue. Please give your thoughts!! Thanks so much! :confused:

I see quite a few rooms marked with the 'cross' that indicates pullmans instead of the sofabed. You didn't mention what sailing, so maybe the pullman rooms are full for what you're looking at? Or, maybe you're only looking at balcony rooms, which likely would not have the pullmans.

What about the family staterooms that sleep up to 6? I'd have to assume there is something other than sofa beds there.

Some asides:

The sofabed on Grandeur was, IMHO, quite comfortable.

What I'd tell the kids? "Waaaah. You can stay home."

Judy

I don't know what stateroom categories you are looking for, but there are insides and oceanviews on Freedom that have 2 pullman beds. You can still push the twin beds together with pullman beds.

EDIT: There are also forward facing oceanviews with pullmans and a sofa bed.

Looking to go on a cruise with our kids (boy & girl 13) in April of 14. Looking at the Freedom. Our concern is sleep arrangements. My son & daughter do not want to sleep together on the sofa bed. I don't see any rooms that have 2 bunks. Plus, if you have 2 bunks, can the main bed still be pushed together? Someone recommended my husband & I sleep on the sofa bed & put our kids in 2 twins. But, since we are paying for the cruise, I want to sleep in comfort and not on a sofa bed! Sorry, just my opinion. Can someone please give us some suggestions? We have looked at booking adjoining rooms, but this seems it could be expensive. Has anyone ever booked a JR Suite and used an air mattress? I am sure the ship does not have rollaway beds. My husband and I have always cruised alone so this was never an issue. Please give your thoughts!! Thanks so much! :confused:

I am assuming you booked a JS as you mentioned that. Did you look at booking an inside cabin across the hall for your kids. If it is directly across the hall RCI will allow the two kids to be in that cabin. The pp price of an inside is probably not much more than the 3/4 rate on the JS. We were in a JS on the jewel and our kids did not want to share the sofa bed so my DD turned the walk in closet into her own private bedroom.

On the Freedom there are two pairs of connected balcony-inside cabins. They are on Deck 9, all the way aft but still on the side. (one port, one starboard). Could be the answer for you.

We have not booked anything as of yet. Just trying to get ideas & pricing. Called & spoke to RC and got the rudest man. Didn't really want to answer my questions and actually laughed at me a few times when I asked about specific cabins. So, hoping my cruise critic experts will give me sound advise. Doesn't matter what category. We have looked at Interior Promenade all the way up to a Grand Suite. Just comes down to the dollar sign at the end! Thanks again! ;)

We have stayed in promanade rooms a lot. We have 2 booked in August that are connecting rooms, one for us and one for our kids. We originally booked 1 inside room for the 4 of us but the 2 promanade rooms were only $100 more so we switched. I've never been on the Freedom but we did go on the Liberty (sister ship) We liked the promanade room there.

If you really want a balcony I would look into one for you and an inside across the hall for your kids. I'm sure they will be spending more time out of the room then in it. Have a great cruise!

We have several times now mixed room types to save money - husband and I in a balcony, the kids across the hall in an inside. We can all enjoy the balcony. Kids are now 16 and 19 and we'll be doing this in August, but first did it when they were several years younger. Only did the 2 adjoining rooms when they were much younger.

I am assuming you booked a JS as you mentioned that. Did you look at booking an inside cabin across the hall for your kids. If it is directly across the hall RCI will allow the two kids to be in that cabin. The pp price of an inside is probably not much more than the 3/4 rate on the JS. We were in a JS on the jewel and our kids did not want to share the sofa bed so my DD turned the walk in closet into her own private bedroom.

My DH and I have 3 children and never shared a cabin with them. We either had them next door to us or across the hall in an inside room. They enjoyed their independence and we enjoyed our space. We also got a key for their room in case we needed it. The inside room across the hall was the most economical way to go. The kids did not mind having an inside room either as they were so excited to have their own room and were so busy with teen activities.

I'm with you....I would never give kids the real bed! They don't give a fig where they sleep!

There are cabins that have a sofa bed AND a pullman (bunk)...so it will sleep 4 in different beds!

Even with pullman beds, you can have the main bed made into a Queen/King....(it's sort of inbetween those sizes).

If all else fails, put one of the kids on the floor...they're young and can sleep anywhere! Call it "adventure" sleeping, and they'll fight over who gets to sleep on the floor!

We have not booked anything as of yet. Just trying to get ideas & pricing. Called & spoke to RC and got the rudest man. Didn't really want to answer my questions and actually laughed at me a few times when I asked about specific cabins. So, hoping my cruise critic experts will give me sound advise. Doesn't matter what category. We have looked at Interior Promenade all the way up to a Grand Suite. Just comes down to the dollar sign at the end! Thanks again! ;)

There's tons of cabins on board that have separate beds for 4 people. You are looking for a cabin with the + sign or the diamond next to the #. What is your sail date and us "experts" ;) can point you to some specific cabin #'s.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any insides with sofabeds on Freedom class so if the room accommodates 4 they will be in pullmans. There are a couple oceanviews that have just the sofa bed - majority have the pullmans.

On the Freedom there are two pairs of connected balcony-inside cabins. They are on Deck 9, all the way aft but still on the side. (one port, one starboard). Could be the answer for you.

Did you look at my suggested solution?!?!?!

My kids are 8 & 12 and we have put them in a separate room for the last 6 cruises.

The rooms are almost to small for 2 people

I would never again have 4 people in the same cabin again. Way too crowded and everyone is on top of each other.

Downgrade to an ocean view or interior if you have to.

We just recently booked 2 cabins for the first time and was nice.....we have always booked just 1 cabin though up to now and I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY my 13 year old(s) would get the bed and us sleep on the sofa bed!! :eek: My kids are now 13 and 11 and have shared the sofa bed or sofa (and Pullman if there was one) all our cruises before.....Now however, if finances can do it, 2 cabins is the way to go! Nice to have 2 bathrooms! ;) We had 2 Boardwalk Balcony rooms and opened up the balcony. Do agree that the inside cabin right across the hall would be an option as well.....:eek:

Give them an option...either they sleep on the sofabed, or you bring a sleeping bag and someone sleeps on the floor. That way, they can't complain either way since it's their choice.

Archived