So how thin are the cabin walls really?

mutare

My husband of more than 30 years has suddenly started snoring! The pillow over his face doesn't seem to be working. :) I've taken to wearing earplugs in self defence. Do I need to offer our cabin neighbours sets of earplugs too? What have you overheard from next door on your cruise?

I doubt some one in the next cabin will hear your husband snoring! we seldom hear anything when we're in our cabin except maybe kids running loudly down the hall. Once friends with an inside cabin could hear the wind blowing in from the balcony cabin door

across the hall, which was open. The people there couldn't hear this for some reason. Security finally got them to close the balcony door.

Cabin bulkheads are generally two layers of sheet metal with about an inch of fiberglass insulation between. Cabins are generally modular, so there will be two bulkheads between cabins, with a varying amount of air space between cabins (depends on the ship, the deck, and the cabin, it can be 2" or 1 foot). Most likely, unless your DH's snoring is at the decibel level of a heated argument, or the neighboring cabin are light sleepers, they most likely won't hear it, but ymmv.

I've heard people with terrible coughing fits (colds or smokers). In fact, I've been there myself once when I had a terrible hacking cough. Have also heard people talking or low sound of a tv. I think it depends on the ship how much you can hear. We sail on RCCL, Celebrity and Princess. Most of the time no problem, but it does happen. Always have my earplugs with me.

Our DD heard something she will never forget. A couple was coming into their cabin next to our 3 teens. It was about 1 a.m. and 2 of the girls were asleep. The 3 rd one wished she was as well! The conversation was about spanking. About spanking very hard. :eek:

My husband of more than 30 years has suddenly started snoring! The pillow over his face doesn't seem to be working. :) I've taken to wearing earplugs in self defence. Do I need to offer our cabin neighbours sets of earplugs too? What have you overheard from next door on your cruise?

I don't know if anyone will hear him snoring .... but has he ever had a 'sleep study'? Both my son in law and my husband snored terribly! Now, they both use a C-PAP machine. Not only does it stop them from STOPPING BREATHING when sleeping doing possible damage to the heart and contributing to high blood pressure, but now my daughter and I BOTH get a good night's sleep not having to listen to the snoring! My son in law went a few years ago because my daughter said he scared her with some of the noises and stopping of breathing. My husband waited till he ended up in the ER with a possible heart attack which after a few days of intense testing showed his heart was fine .... he had Sleep Apnea! Might want to check it out! Just a thought! :)

I am in the minority when I say people next door may very well hear his snoring. I have heard snoring and other noises from neighbors. Depends on the ship but I guess there is nothing to do about your neighbors hearing him.

Have you checked into why he is snoring? Has he gained some weight, recently? I find if my husband puts on weight, he starts to snore. When he loses the weight, no more snoring. Interesting, hey? Just a thought.

Thank you for the advice. Not much change in weight recently and he isn't too heavy. Sleep apnea testing isn't too easy as we are in a regional area but it's worth looking into. I'll stick with the earplugs for now.

Depends on the ship and age. We've had to ask neighbours to turn down the tv before as and they were watching it from the balcony and had it max volume to hear it and on others the only noise was the last day where people check all the drawers are empty.

Go to an ENT dr. They will arrange the sleep study. It's usually one night in a clinic, where he'll be on a monitor and will be observed sleeping. It's a good thing! My DH suffered from snoring. He is very thin, but his entire family snores loudly. He now wears a CPAP and the snoring is completely gone! Poor thing was starved for air!:eek: He sleeps better now and doesn't wake up several times a night.

I have worn headphones with music, spa sounds or a DVD player going for years. It never drowned out the sound completely, but it helped. Now I don't need them, but have gotten so used to wearing them (about 15 years), that now I can't sleep without them!:rolleyes:

I never hear anyone in the cabins next to us on the ship. I only hear people in the hallway.

Especially those door slammers! :(

As I am sure you are aware, the doors have self closing mechanisms that close hard by design. If you are in a balcony and have the outside door open that can affect the closing force as well. The issue of doors slamming is more a factor of how wide open the door is when you let go of it (and if the outside door is open at the time) v. someone actually slamming it closed.

Unfortunately if someone isn't aware of that, the door will slam pretty hard if it is wide open when they let go of it. And to your comment, there are those who apparently don't get that or don't care.

The only time I heard someone in the next cabin snoring was on the first night. When we boarded, our cabin had the beds made up as 2 singles.

My bed was right against the wall. The person in the next cabin must have had his bed against the wall, too, because I did hear him snoring. It felt a bit like I was sharing a bed with my neighbour, rather than my DH.

The next day, we requested our beds be converted into the double configuration and I never heard my neighbour snoring again.

The only thing we have ever noticed is the smell of a cigar coming from the extra door while in a connecting cabin. Now we always book a non connecting cabin.

Definetly make sure you do not get a connecting cabin.

Cabin bulkheads are generally two layers of sheet metal with about an inch of fiberglass insulation between. Cabins are generally modular, so there will be two bulkheads between cabins, with a varying amount of air space between cabins (depends on the ship, the deck, and the cabin, it can be 2" or 1 foot). Most likely, unless your DH's snoring is at the decibel level of a heated argument, or the neighboring cabin are light sleepers, they most likely won't hear it, but ymmv.

The modular cabins are virtually soundproof. Not so on many older ships.

Noise from below and above can often be heard. Especially in the ealy morning below the Lido deck.

We've only heard noise from an adjoining stateroom once. Thank goodness!

We were on the Celebrity Galaxy in an oceanview and could hear almost every word of the people next door. I don't know if this ship is still with the fleet or not. It was in such bad repair and dirty. Out of all of our cruises, we've only had two that were really not up to par and this was one of them.

Archived