Priceless......... Truly

sail7seas

Sail, I've been debating if and how to respond to this thread. You probably know my first choice is another cruise line. We'll disagree a lot both on our first choice of a cruise line and on the concept of sailing with others. I'm booked this year for 108 nights at sea. Being able to afford all 108 nights on Crystal would indeed have a lot of positives, but it just isn't in my budget. No worries, my 39 nights with them this year are an all time record. Retirement had given me the time to sail with them more than ever, but not as much time at sea as I like.

All of my HAL cruises have been great and my Prinsendam cruise was awesome. If all my sailing was with Crystal I would be conditioned to expect that and would probably become jaded, I've enjoyed sailing with Carnival--go to HAL and see there's much better than enjoyable, and then to Crystal and am reminded you can even top awesome.

Some of my memories of HAL:

Rotterdam V:1997: Dozens of whales in the inside passage

Zaandam: 2002: A bear in Glacier bay that frolicked on the nearby shore for several minutes.

Prinsendam:2011: Whales signted from the Crows Nest in the far North well after 10PM. I didn't see the whales but felt the excitement

Zaandam: 2012: Crawling through Viet Cong tunnels in Vietnam

Lots of great memories

Roy

Like Roy, I've debated how to answer this question as well. The few cruises I've been on have been very well planned from the financial aspect. But, worth every penny I spent on them. What did it?

Seeing my sister's huge smile when we boarded our very first ship to go to Alaska. She actually did pinch herself.

A wonderful time on a Canada/New England cruise with same sister. We enjoyed the ports so much that we're doing it again. It was just the right thing at the right time and I have a feeling it will be the same this time around.

Hearing my mom talk so glowingly of the cruise to Alaska six years later. We had to drag her and Dad along, but it was so worth it to know they had such an enjoyable time.

Being able to see Antarctica. So few people get that experience and it made me realize how fortunate I am to be able to do things like this.

Mostly it has been about the experiences I have and the people I shared them with. Yes, I think I would rank that as priceless.

Debbie

Hi all! I am new to cruising and even newer to CC. I would say that I am not the "typical" HAL cruiser. I particularly liked the idea of this post because I have had fantastic service on HAL. My husband and I are in our 30's. We have two kids and have traditional blue collar jobs. We save, on average, two years to be able to afford a cruise.

Our first was in 2008 and it was a short one day from Vancouver BC to Seattle. We considered this as our shot to dip our toes in the cruising world for a fairly cheap price. We found that it was lots of fun and wanted to then try something a little longer. We opted for a 3 day Pacific Coast cruise in 2010. Not too long prior to departure we received an email that they had over sold the cruise and that if we opted not to go we could choose from any 7 day Alaska or Caribbean cruise of our choice at no additional cost. We jumped at the chance and booked the Alaska cruise since we knew it wasn't quite in our financial reach. We had such a great time we booked another Alaska cruise in 2012.

The point of this rambling mess is that we are average everyday people. We work hard and save for vacations. We have LOVED every minute aboard Holland America ships. We love the small size and the intimacy that a small ship brings. We admit that we are not people who enjoy large crowds and that is what led us to HAL.

We have sailed Dolphin Deck and Neptune Suite (by way of a "suite" upsell) and have had outstanding service every time. We were not treated differently based on our cabin. I always judge good service on how we are treated in the "common" areas. In those places, no one knows who I am and I have always been treated with respect and a smile.

Finally, I am new to sailing and to HAL so I can't comment on the way things used to be. I can only comment on what I have seen and experienced. I have been pleasantly surprised on each cruise and am eagerly awaiting the next one which is set for August 2014.

Hi all! I am new to cruising and even newer to CC. I would say that I am not the "typical" HAL cruiser. I particularly liked the idea of this post because I have had fantastic service on HAL. My husband and I are in our 30's. We have two kids and have traditional blue collar jobs. We save, on average, two years to be able to afford a cruise.

Our first was in 2008 and it was a short one day from Vancouver BC to Seattle. We considered this as our shot to dip our toes in the cruising world for a fairly cheap price. We found that it was lots of fun and wanted to then try something a little longer. We opted for a 3 day Pacific Coast cruise in 2010. Not too long prior to departure we received an email that they had over sold the cruise and that if we opted not to go we could choose from any 7 day Alaska or Caribbean cruise of our choice at no additional cost. We jumped at the chance and booked the Alaska cruise since we knew it wasn't quite in our financial reach. We had such a great time we booked another Alaska cruise in 2012.

The point of this rambling mess is that we are average everyday people. We work hard and save for vacations. We have LOVED every minute aboard Holland America ships. We love the small size and the intimacy that a small ship brings. We admit that we are not people who enjoy large crowds and that is what led us to HAL.

We have sailed Dolphin Deck and Neptune Suite (by way of a "suite" upsell) and have had outstanding service every time. We were not treated differently based on our cabin. I always judge good service on how we are treated in the "common" areas. In those places, no one knows who I am and I have always been treated with respect and a smile.

Finally, I am new to sailing and to HAL so I can't comment on the way things used to be. I can only comment on what I have seen and experienced. I have been pleasantly surprised on each cruise and am eagerly awaiting the next one which is set for August 2014.

Welcome to cruise critic:D Love your post:D

We'd all love to wish you a bon voyage:) If you want to post on the Hal Future Cruise listing for July 12/13, we'd be happy to add you.

Have a great cruise and please don't be a stranger here:)

I've never experienced a bad cruise, as it's entirely what I make of it!! Yep, I'm definitely a HAL cheerleader!!!

Well said! I just don't understand the people who pay $$ to throw wet blankets on everything. In most situations that arise on a ship it is what you make of it.

We have only been on 4 HAL cruises. We have truly enjoyed each and every one, including our first on the original Noordam. The ship was old and poorly laid out, but it was still a wonderful cruise. And, we had one of the worst cabins on the ship----across from the disembarkation desk!!

I am sure I annoy people when I compare Prinsendam to Regent. We just haven't had a bad or even mediocre cruise on HAL. We have always had a cabin on Dolphin---nothing fancy. Twice, we had insides!!

We are very happy to sail HAL. I'm used to dealing with them and know what to expect. I have to admit, I am sad to think we may have to jump ship if they disallow wine brought on in the future. I know that seems silly as when we started cruising, we didn't even think about bringing wine on---but we got spoiled.

Our HAL cruises have been priceless. I don't think you can put a price on such a fabulous experience.

To change the subject, it is so blessed hot here right now I would welcome a cruise on a garbage scow. Well maybe not that drastic ----let's say a Carnival ship. I imagine you are suffering too as most of our weather comes up from the Boston States.

Costa Concordia, perhaps?

Thanks Sails for this thread. I have read it with interested but when dr. drawg got involved with his bad attitude, I stay away because of what I really wanted to say to him, I'd probably get kick off CC. Anyway he was so out of line with you, wow, couldn't believe it.

Ok, you know we are just plain folks, we do our own yard work, clean our own pool, until I got sick a few years ago I did my own house work. Were not rich but we have manage to scrape enough money together to cruise over the last 17 years or so. We live a very quite life, we don't go to bars, we eat out once a week and we go on vacation....... That would be cruising for us. That is all we do and we love it. Like others I get on the ship and I think I am home.

Yes things have changed over the last 17 years, some not so good, but some thing's they do now are wonderful, and after all this time they still treat me like a 'Queen' and I love it. What more can you ask. Priceless..........

Our first cruise was almost 10 years ago to celebrate milestone birthdays for my DH and best friend. My friend and I started planning a year in advance. My DH was Leary of "cruising" because he liked to keep his feet on terra firma, but went along. Shortly before leaving, his dad passed away and the funeral was 4 days before our departure. He wanted to cancel, but friends and family insisted he go. He found it a truly healing time, the peace of the ocean, the pampering of the fabulous HA staff...they even remembered our names on second contact....the experience of different ports and cultures and time with good friends.

Cruising is now his favourite vacation...another milestone coming up, another cruise planned to celebrate. Priceless!

While I haven't been on a HAL ship for awhile, trust me I can't wait when it happens!

Out of all my cruises, the most magical moments have happen on HAL ships!

Some of them are,

Sailing out of San Juan at night. On an upper deck listening to Jessye Norman and Kathleen Battle sing Mythodea Movement #9.

Enjoying the thermal spa late afternoon (no one seem to be there around 5:00 p.m.) like my own private area.

Sitting in the Crow's Nest enjoying a cocktail with new friends

Enjoying a sea day on the promenade deck in a lounger

The bell chime for dinner

Watching a pod of Dolphins during afternoon tea

Now I never sailed in a suite or on the Neptune deck. I mainly sail inside and some outside cabins. But the service was never a different level. I still got the same warmth from the crew. While I don't sail as much like some, I was shocked that crew recalled me from other sailings my last time.

I work a blue collar job in the elements. My pay is decent,but I learn to enjoy life. Yes I met people just like me on HAL cruises and those who live a life that I don't. But never felt like a second class on sailings.

No vacation is perfect. I was in South America in April and had a issue arise while at the Cusco airport. Did that one thing sour my whole trip? No. Things happen and I just roll with the flow

PEACE !:)

Can't wait to sail!!!

What a Beautiful Post! Hope you have many more wonderful vacations & welcome you to Cruise Critic..

Like Sail, we feel like we're coming home when we board a HAL ship..I guess you could say I'm a HAL cheerleader.. We too book either Dolphin Deck or Main Deck..Once took an up sell to a Lanai but never have booked a suite.. However, I've never felt looked down upon because of our lower deck accomodations..As a matter of fact it just has been the opposite.. Only superficial differences separate us...The HAL Crew have always made me feel like a Princess!

Dr. Dawg, you never fail to arouse wrath with your offensive posts!

Of course things have changed, but I'll say it again & again!..you still are paying the same price for your cabin on Dolphin Deck that you paid 10 to 15 years ago, since cruise prices have not kept up with inflation..What do you expect? There is an old saying "You get what you pay for" We used to be able to purchase a full pound of Coffee.. Check out your coffee purchases today..12 ounces (1/4 less) for the same price..

I am thankful that we are still able to cruise & wish everyone "Fair winds & following seas" :):):):)

Betty

I only have one collector's voyage under my belt (19 nights) and no, HAL didn't give me all that I hoped for. The cruise was not bad, but it also wasn't "A signature of Excellence" either; for 5 star prices, I expect a 5 star experience and HAL is, in my opinion only a good 4 star at best.

For me the worst thing was the persistent hard selling; you pay for a wine tasting and the sommelier tries to sell you a dinner; you laying by the pool and the sound silence is penetrated by "Beer, Cold drink's, Cocktails". This is not five a five star experience.

Stained towels, dirty carpets, broken furniture, dirty swimming pools, tone deaf singers, dirty plates left for 40 minutes in the dinning room (I was eating alone and was in a heavy traffic area) and all this without a proper apology merely compounds my beliefs that HAL purport to be something that they actually not; would I sail again with HAL, yes but not at their current pricing schedule and if the itinerary suited me.

Holland Is a 5 star in that price range.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

With all due respect that makes no sense; star ratings are not applied with price groups, stars are allocated to the product irrespective of what the prices are.

When in London I always stay at The Savoy and when in Berlin it is always The Adlon; both have 5 stars and both give a 5 star product but there is a difference in price of 200 EUR per night......is the Adlon then a 6 star hotel in its price range? No it is not, it is still just a 5 star hotel.

Archived