Any recent impressions of Canaletto restaurant?

dawei

After seeing that most mentions of Eurodam's Canaletto Restaurant date from 2009, I'm wondering if anyone can provide a recent report on the cuisine served there? (I know the Tamarind is a must-do). Thanks

DH, a friend and I had dinner in Canaletto on Westerdam in November and enjoyed it. I had the cod puttenesca and was very satisfied with it. DH really enjoyed the antipasti platter. He liked the selections. :)

We would go again.

We had dinner on Maasdam in Caneletto in April and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I know one of us had the cod, but I can't recall what else we had. We went the first night so we could enjoy sail away and not feel rushed.

After seeing that most mentions of Eurodam's Canaletto Restaurant date from 2009, I'm wondering if anyone can provide a recent report on the cuisine served there? (I know the Tamarind is a must-do). Thanks

On my April/May 17 day cruise on the Zaandam I ate at Canaletto three times and really enjoyed it (it's great for a solo traveller). Twice I ordered the osso buco - very good. The third time I had a pasta dish (can't remember the name). The desserts, especially the lemoncello is excellent.

Were you served Cotton Candy at the end of meal?

We had Cotton Candy served on the Prinsendam during the TA portion of our cruise this year but it had been discontinued on the Baltic portion. We were told it was for health reasons and it would be fleet wide. No more Cotton Candy.

I know it is just a small thing but I loved it so much.

On my April/May 17 day cruise on the Zaandam I ate at Canaletto three times and really enjoyed it (it's great for a solo traveller). Twice I ordered the osso buco - very good. The third time I had a pasta dish (can't remember the name). The desserts, especially the lemoncello is excellent.

We found the stewards to be particularly friendly and eager for us to enjoy. They may not be as busy and serving as many people as in the MDR and have a moment to exchange a little chit chat.

We think they have improved the Canaletto experience from when they first started it.

The cotton candy thing always made me a little sick to my stomach at just the thought. All that sugar was unappealing to me. I'm sorry for those who will miss it if, indeed, it has been discontinued.

I was on the Eurodam about a month ago and went to the Canaletto for one meal. I was not expecting much based on reviews I had read from other ships but was pleasantly surprised. My husband had the pasta and meatballs and I had the Penna Alla Boscaiola. Both were very good and we enjoyed the attention of the staff and the atmosphere. We ate at 5:30 and for the first 1/2 hour were the only ones in there. So we had a nice conversation with the staff and all their attention until more couples showed up. I would definitely make a reservation there again on a future cruise.

For our August Maasdam trip, do we need to make 6:00 reservations for Caneletto or can we book once on board? Does it get difficult to get a table for 4 once we set sail? Thanks!

Well, it's always a good idea to book in advance of course - but I have never found the Canaletto full - and often been told to just check. Got every seating I wanted on the P'dam with only asking a few hours earlier.:D

In all honesty I wasn't a fan of Canaletto - the menu never appealed and our first experience it was very slow...... but we enjoyed it on the P'dam. Ended up going more than I would have ever guessed!

I think it's worth giving it a shot.

For our August Maasdam trip, do we need to make 6:00 reservations for Caneletto or can we book once on board? Does it get difficult to get a table for 4 once we set sail? Thanks!
Is the Maasdam charging for the Canaletto now? On the P'dam (just before kazu) it was still free, and therefore not possible to reserve before boarding. If you can make reservations in advance, I feel it's best to do so and then change them on board if necessary.

We were there back in March-we thought the food,service and attention were terrific-my GF loved the desserts. My only complaint is the location-it's basically a candlelit Lido-people were walking thru and looking in-we did eat kind of early(5-6pm) so that may have had something to do with it. I still would recommend because it was not crowded and the staff were so good.

Is the Maasdam charging for the Canaletto now? On the P'dam (just before kazu) it was still free, and therefore not possible to reserve before boarding. If you can make reservations in advance, I feel it's best to do so and then change them on board if necessary.

Yes, there is a charge on Maasdam for Canaletto and reservations can be made in advance. I don't really think it all that necessary to pre-reserve. It is just about never full and tables for four should be easily available. Certainly nothing to lose if you wish to pre-book as you can cancel if you change your mind.

If you are a group of six or more, in that case I would suggest making reservation in advance so they can plan for you.

Yes, there is a service charge. The advance reservation is highly recommended. All it takes is a telephone call, dial 88. We usually have our specialty restaurant plans made before we board. Reservations are the first order of business after check in. Never a problem that way.

The charge was in place when we got on the P'dam John - not a biggie IMO - and if the service and food is any indication that we experienced on this ship - I have no problem paying it:D

Sorry, Jacqui, I really won't give Canaletto another shot.

We tried it once on the NA and again on the P-dam. On both occasions, the service was amateur and the food not up to Italian standards. So, it will be the MDR or PG for us. Even the Lido on the P-dam impressed me and I don't care for buffets.

I can't understand why they can do decent Italian in the MDR (osso bucco on P-dam) or Lido (lasagna on the NA) and then have such a different experience in Canaletto.

As my dear MIL says, "You're a wonderful cook and so expect more than the average diner." Maybe she's right (at least I hope she's being sincere). ;);)

Sorry' date=' Jacqui, I really won't give Canaletto another shot.

We tried it once on the NA and again on the P-dam. On both occasions, the service was amateur and the food not up to Italian standards. So, it will be the MDR or PG for us. Even the Lido on the P-dam impressed me and I don't care for buffets.

I can't understand why they can do decent Italian in the MDR (osso bucco on P-dam) or Lido (lasagna on the NA) and then have such a different experience in Canaletto.

As my dear MIL says, "You're a wonderful cook and so expect more than the average diner." Maybe she's right (at least I hope she's being sincere). ;);)[/quote']

No worries Lynne - I am considered a gourmet cook and am NOT a fan of Italian food - but the fish was good. We had a good time and enjoyed it - btw I didn't like it on the Oosterdam/N.A. so perhaps we had different dining experiences :confused: each to their own. There are no guarantees on anything. Ours was good. sorry yours wasn't.:D

Archived