Problems with DUI conviction?

I've been and I wasn't stopped - how exactly does Canada know on the cruise ship that they have DUI historical passengers

It is my understanding that US officials share the results of the database searches with them. If it shows up in the US system then the Canadians will know it.

Depending upon what itinerary for an Alaska cruise, it well could be there is only one port call in Canada and the rest are U.S.

Couldn't you just stay on the ship for that one port?

We've read here that Candian Officials submit a list of guests who they do not want permitted off the ship in Canada and the card dings at the gangway if the guest tries to leave. I think they also may interview some guests but is that a problem? As long as you don't plan to leave the ship in Canada, wouldn't it be okay to take the cruise?

We've sailed to Canada a great many times and I've never heard a peep about any of this while on the ship so it is all kept private. Our Canada/NE cruises have mostly Canada ports so surely there have to be people who unknowingly got caught up in this issue but were aboard.

Edited by sail7seas

I am aware that you can't enter Canada if you've ever had a DUI, no matter how many years ago. Are there other countries that I can't enter while on a cruise because of this youthful indiscretion?

I know someone who has had a DWI in Texas (which is considered worse than a DUI there - some states have a distinction), but it was expunged from his record. He's been to Canada on a land trip and also via cruise that ended in Vancouver (even stayed an extra night there). It never came up.

This leads me to believe, it depends if it is on your record or not.

I am aware that you can't enter Canada if you've ever had a DUI, no matter how many years ago. Are there other countries that I can't enter while on a cruise because of this youthful indiscretion?

Not entirely true. You can apply for a certificate of rehabilitation after a certain period of time has passed

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp#overview

Canada and the US are the most complete and intense about sharing criminal conviction data - it's less likely to be a problem vacationing anywhere else. (There may be a few places in the world where, if you need a visa, it would be asked on the visa application.) I think Canada is the only country that the US shares it's criminal conviction database with, except for the Interpol-specific information.

As has been mentioned, you can pursue a rehabilitation certificate if you want to be sure, or if you're planning on visiting more often.

Canada and the US have sharpened up their exchange of data. You need professional advice on what you can or cannot do. Do not depend on free advice on a travel BB.

A travel BB can alert you to a potential problem and prevent being caught totally off guard.

A travel BB can alert you to a potential problem and prevent being caught totally off guard.

and possibly assure you that you will have no problems.

If you arrive at your ship and are not allowed to board due to past legal issues, you will not get a refund.

If you do not have a Rehabilitation Certificate ($200 Cdn) your entrance or not is at the discression of the CBA agent that processes you. Unlike some US states that treat DUI as a missdemener it is a Criminal Code offence in Canada, read felony. A Cdn convicted of this offence must wait 5 years to apply for a pardon. It also works coming your way. Cdns convicted of a Criminal Code offence for which they have not been pardoned can and often are denied entry into the USA. The only way you can be certain to get in is to apply for and have approved the Rehabilitation Certificate. It's a one shot deal and you don't need one each and every time you enter Canada. If you do decide to enter the country without one be staraight up and honest with the agent. Should your name be on their list or they just decide to run it through the system and you are caught in a lie you can be the subject of a fine, one or two year ban from entering or up to and including a permanent ban (unlikely).

This is a brother of a friend story, for whatever that is worth. According to a friend when his brother went on a cruise including a stop in Canada, they asked him, "Have you been convicted of any crime?" to which he honestly replied he'd had a misdemeanor conviction. They didn't ask him for what, just said it would cost him $200 USD for a temporary permit.

According to TripAdvisor's blurb regarding DUI misdemeanor convictions in the US, it is within the purvey of the customs agent to allow a person convicted of any US misdemeanor a temporary permit for exceptional circumstances or compassionate grounds for $200. I am guessing that's what they gave him. I imagine it depends on the agent and also on why / where you're getting off the boat. Friend's brother had booked a package tour through the cruise line which didn't involve any sort of drinking. Not that that may have mattered. Apparently he specifically never said DUI as it wasn't asked.

I'd assume if you called the cruise company and asked, they'd tell you more. It seems highly likely it would just come down to you might not be allowed to leave the boat at any stops in Canada.

and possibly assure you that you will have no problems.

If you arrive at your ship and are not allowed to board due to past legal issues, you will not get a refund.

I was pointing out the benefit of this topic appearing on this board from time to time. It would really be a bummer to get totally blindsided and find out about this for the first time at the pier.

I would not have known that DUI is an issue entering Canada were it not for this board. Fortunately I was aware, because of CC and could inform a friend that he needed to check out his situation before final payment.

This is a brother of a friend story, for whatever that is worth. According to a friend when his brother went on a cruise including a stop in Canada, they asked him, "Have you been convicted of any crime?" to which he honestly replied he'd had a misdemeanor conviction. They didn't ask him for what, just said it would cost him $200 USD for a temporary permit.

According to TripAdvisor's blurb regarding DUI misdemeanor convictions in the US, it is within the purvey of the customs agent to allow a person convicted of any US misdemeanor a temporary permit for exceptional circumstances or compassionate grounds for $200. I am guessing that's what they gave him. I imagine it depends on the agent and also on why / where you're getting off the boat. Friend's brother had booked a package tour through the cruise line which didn't involve any sort of drinking. Not that that may have mattered. Apparently he specifically never said DUI as it wasn't asked.

I'd assume if you called the cruise company and asked, they'd tell you more. It seems highly likely it would just come down to you might not be allowed to leave the boat at any stops in Canada.

How did the official know to ask the guy. On our cruises to Canada, we have not talked to an official. They must have had this person flagged.

Depending upon what itinerary for an Alaska cruise, it well could be there is only one port call in Canada and the rest are U.S.

We've read here that Candian Officials submit a list of guests who they do not want permitted off the ship in Canada and the card dings at the gangway if the guest tries to leave. I think they also may interview some guests but is that a problem? As long as you don't plan to leave the ship in Canada, wouldn't it be okay to take the cruise?

We've sailed to Canada a great many times and I've never heard a peep about any of this while on the ship so it is all kept private. Our Canada/NE cruises have mostly Canada ports so surely there have to be people who unknowingly got caught up in this issue but were aboard.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to remember details of processing onto the ship in Seward. I don't recall whether Canadian officials were involved and whether the question of conviction was raised. Does anyone have a better recall of how the Seward to Vancouver cruises are handled?

Cruise line reps are notoriously UNinformed about entry requirements into countries. I doubt that very many of them have even heard of the previous DUI restriction for Canada.

Cruise line reps are notoriously UNinformed about entry requirements into countries. I doubt that very many of them have even heard of the previous DUI restriction for Canada.

I agree. Do not use a cruise line rep as your reliable source of dependable information in this regard. Sadly, too many are poorly trained and inexperienced and pass along incorrect information on a daily basis.

Of course, there are some who are excellent and dependable but how will you know which has information that can be trusted?

Go to a better source for your info.

• 5 years later...
On 7/9/2013 at 9:30 PM, sail7seas said:

Possibly this was the way it worked in the past, but as far as I know now, a person is considered to be in a country if they are in the waters of that country.  So staying on the ship is not the question, it’s being allowed into Canadian waters.  So a person with a DUI conviction may not be allowed on the ship at all if it sails into Canadian waters.

Yes, the thread is 5 years old, but apparently there is still some question about this.  I chose to go ahead with the cruise and didn't get off the ship the day it docked in Canada.  I'm glad to say that I don't feel like I missed anything because Alaska was the object of my interest.  Also, our ship was late getting into port and everyone who wanted to get off was held up for hours. I heard many missed their tours and were very upset with Canadian red-tape.

I have not traveled to any other countries but the Bahamas since then.  There was no problem there.

1 hour ago, sunroomsilly said:

Yes, the thread is 5 years old, but apparently there is still some question about this.  I chose to go ahead with the cruise and didn't get off the ship the day it docked in Canada.  I'm glad to say that I don't feel like I missed anything because Alaska was the object of my interest.  Also, our ship was late getting into port and everyone who wanted to get off was held up for hours. I heard many missed their tours and were very upset with Canadian red-tape.

I have not traveled to any other countries but the Bahamas since then.  There was no problem there.

As stated earlier the fact that don't get off the ship is irrelevant- if Canada (or any other country) says you can't enter than the cruise line can't let you board.

3 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Possibly this was the way it worked in the past, but as far as I know now, a person is considered to be in a country if they are in the waters of that country.  So staying on the ship is not the question, it’s being allowed into Canadian waters.  So a person with a DUI conviction may not be allowed on the ship at all if it sails into Canadian waters.

44 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As stated earlier the fact that don't get off the ship is irrelevant- if Canada (or any other country) says you can't enter than the cruise line can't let you board.

Canada doesn't know about your DUI or other convictions until after the ship has sailed because they're not given the manifest until the ship has departed. Canada will review the manifest and look in the NCIC database for any passengers with a criminal history. (DUI is considered a serious crime in Canada.) The cruise line doesn't have access to the NCIC database so they also have no basis to prevent you from boarding.

When the ship arrives in a Canadian port of call, Canadian officials will interview any passengers they may want to deny entry to. They may allow some to get off the ship, deny others the right and force them to stay on board and could even arrest someone with an outstanding warrant.

The above is a synopsis of what I've learned from the many posts by ships' officers who have explained how this works on Cruise Critic over the years. It's not based on my personal experience.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Canada doesn't know about your DUI or other convictions until after the ship has sailed because they're not given the manifest until the ship has departed. Canada will review the manifest and look in the NCIC database for any passengers with a criminal history. (DUI is considered a serious crime in Canada.) The cruise line doesn't have access to the NCIC database so they also have no basis to prevent you from boarding.

When the ship arrives in a Canadian port of call, Canadian officials will interview any passengers they may want to deny entry to. They may allow some to get off the ship, deny others the right and force them to stay on board and could even arrest someone with an outstanding warrant.

The above is a synopsis of what I've learned from the many posts by ships' officers who have explained how this works on Cruise Critic over the years. It's not based on my personal experience.

Yep, for some reason I skipped that part and went to when that's been done and the cruise line already has that info in their database.