Would you do this?

We are flying to Miami in September for a 3 night trip on Majesty. We are however flying in the night before and spending one night precruise. Although I don't care for 3 night cruises (just two short) everything came together perfectly. We got a great rate on the cruise, airfare, hotel. It is a surprise for my husbands birthday and I cant wait. Just hoping I can keep it a secret a little longer.

I originally looked at sailing out of Port Canaveral but didn't want to hassle with getting to the port for such a short trip.

We are flying to Miami in September for a 3 night trip on Majesty. We are however flying in the night before and spending one night precruise. Although I don't care for 3 night cruises (just two short) everything came together perfectly. We got a great rate on the cruise, airfare, hotel. It is a surprise for my husbands birthday and I cant wait. Just hoping I can keep it a secret a little longer.

I originally looked at sailing out of Port Canaveral but didn't want to hassle with getting to the port for such a short trip.

Awewsome! Yes, I have been going back and forth between the EN at Port Canaveral or going to Miami for the Majesty.

I would not do it. Too much hassle with flying and too much additional expense (probably at least $600) getting to the airport, parking fees, plane ticket and the cost of getting to and from the cruise port. In addition, I would never fly in the day of a cruise, too much additional stress.

If you really need to get away for a few days I would research resorts within driving distance of your home A few I can think of are Hershey PA and the honeymoon hotels in the Poconos. There are others I've gone to with spas, indoor pools and evening entertainment. I've done wonderful short trips to inner harbor, D.C. and Philly. It is funny how we often ignore the places that are close by, while others pay a lot of money to fly to these places.

Don't misunderstand, I love cruising and we fly all the time to cruise, but I would not fly for a cruise that is less than 7 days.

Yes, I agree. I think that's why I'm still on the fence.

Yep I would. But I am just a TAD bit obsessive about seeing the ocean.Last week I decided on a Friday to pack the kids up and drive 12 hours to Hilton Head Island that Monday and come home Wednesday. Did you get that? Yes we spent a full 24 hours on the road to spend less than 2 days in a resort.

Did my kids complain? NOPE ;)

They are used to me doing crazy impulsive stuff and they love to travel.

That amazes me. I love the ocean but sometimes I debate with myself if it is worth walking down the street to see if the surf is up.

If money is not a issue and you can do what you want to make the cruise less stressful, go for it.

IMHO, we live about 1.5 hours from the PC, and we have been on many 3 and 4 night cruises, and now will only do 4 night cruises if the price is right, They are just too short for us. Living up north for lots of potential cruisers, if we lived there maybe we would have a different opinion, especially in winter.

We've come to the stage in our life where we don't want a cruise shorter than 10 days, and preferably 14 days (or longer), mostly due to the hassles of flying. So, no, I wouldn't do that.

With no direct flights to any port from Omaha, it's just not worth it to us; fly in one day early (takes most of the day), hardly enough time on the ship to get settled in, then another whole day of flying back. Maybe from Maryland you can at least fly in the day of the cruise?

We've spent enough time in the Miami- Ft. Lauderdale area other times that having an extra day or two pre or post cruise isn't a benefit.

I'm flying into MLB and having problems with transportation - our flight lands at 11:45pm and the car rentals all close at 11. Hertz (twice the price of Dollar/ National/ Thrifty) says they will wait if we have a reservation, so, maybe the others will, too. But, so far, all the ones I looked at will not let me do a one way rental to the port. I would have to pay for the car for 4 days and pay to park rather than just drop off at pier, what did you do?:confused:

Maybe you could stay at a hotel close to MLB and use their shuttle when you arrive. Then, next morning, take a shuttle back to the airport and rent a car. Or, alternately, see if Super Shuttle would take you from the hotel to Port Canaveral.

I am curious on getting some opinions. Would you fly from Maryland to Port Canaveral for a 3 day weekend Bahamas get-away? This is assuming you have ruled out all other cruising options in the near future for various reasons. And it also does not include any additional time in Florida.

Is this a ridiculous idea? Would it be worth is for such a short time? :confused:

Are the benefits -- TO YOU -- of taking this cruise (i.e. enjoying a cruise; seeing the Bahamas, etc.) worth -- TO YOU -- the inconvenience and expense of a plane flight? If so, then yes, go for it. If not, then don't.

It wouldn't be for me. But you're not me.

I have done 3-night cruises from both Miami and Port Canaveral and a 4-night from Fort Lauderdale that involved flying from Houston. I'm not sure that I would do it again. The cruises just weren't enjoyable enough for me. It seemed like we had just gotten settled and it was time to leave. The cruise itself was cheap but airfare ran as much or more than the cruise. Because of flights, we had to take 2 days off work (Friday & Monday) for travel. I'd rather take at least a week if I have to fly anywhere. For a weekend trip, I'd rather find somewhere 2-3 hours away and drive.

I have done 3-night cruises from both Miami and Port Canaveral and a 4-night from Fort Lauderdale that involved flying from Houston. I'm not sure that I would do it again. The cruises just weren't enjoyable enough for me. It seemed like we had just gotten settled and it was time to leave. The cruise itself was cheap but airfare ran as much or more than the cruise. Because of flights, we had to take 2 days off work (Friday & Monday) for travel. I'd rather take at least a week if I have to fly anywhere. For a weekend trip, I'd rather find somewhere 2-3 hours away and drive.

These have been my thoughts also.

Maybe you could stay at a hotel close to MLB and use their shuttle when you arrive. Then, next morning, take a shuttle back to the airport and rent a car. Or, alternately, see if Super Shuttle would take you from the hotel to Port Canaveral.

Shuttle is more expensive than renting car - renting it the next morning doesn't solve the problem that they won't let you do a one way rental. Does anyone know why MLB won't let you rent oneway?

Shuttle is more expensive than renting car - renting it the next morning doesn't solve the problem that they won't let you do a one way rental. Does anyone know why MLB won't let you rent oneway?

Because not enough people want to LEAVE them there. Everyone just wants to take them to the cruiseport.

At Orlando, people want to drive in both directions. No problem with too many cars at one end and none at the other.

:)

Update on this thread :

I think I will do this, as I realized today that I have enough Visa points for a free 3-night cruise. Woohoo! :)

Good for you! Not sure where you're from in Maryland, but you can often get a great deal on SW from Baltimore to FLL (assuming you decide to cruise out of Miami) or even to Orlando if you keep on that thought.

Give us more details (dates, city, etc.) and I'm sure we can all help with suggestions on specific flights, etc.

Go for it!!!

I can see why you might not want to just drive to Baltimore to get on the Grandeur for the 10th time, but being in a place where I almost have to fly to any cruise I get on, I'm not going on one shorter than 7 days.

My first cruise was a tester 3 night from PC - but the purpose of that trip was to see the final launch of the space shuttle program (the cruise was just a bonus). I guess if I'm going to fly anywhere, I feel like I need at least 7 days to get my value out of my airline ticket.

On the flip side, 3 days on board is better than 6 on land.

Good for you! Not sure where you're from in Maryland, but you can often get a great deal on SW from Baltimore to FLL (assuming you decide to cruise out of Miami) or even to Orlando if you keep on that thought.

Give us more details (dates, city, etc.) and I'm sure we can all help with suggestions on specific flights, etc.

Go for it!!!

I'm leaning towards BWI to Miami for the Majesty. From what I can find though, Southwest doesn't go to Miami, only Fort Lauderdale.

I am curious on getting some opinions. Would you fly from Maryland to Port Canaveral for a 3 day weekend Bahamas get-away? This is assuming you have ruled out all other cruising options in the near future for various reasons. And it also does not include any additional time in Florida.

Is this a ridiculous idea? Would it be worth is for such a short time? :confused:

Yep, we are flying from Cleveland to Port Canaveral for 3 day in Sept.

I'm leaning towards BWI to Miami for the Majesty. From what I can find though, Southwest doesn't go to Miami, only Fort Lauderdale.

That is true. And the commute from FLL to the Port of Miami will take about 40 minutes depending on traffic.

Because not enough people want to LEAVE them there. Everyone just wants to take them to the cruiseport.

At Orlando, people want to drive in both directions. No problem with too many cars at one end and none at the other.

:)

So, do they think I am going to live on the ship for the rest of my life? I'd be doing a one way from the port to MLB 3 days later! I just don't want to have to pay for car while on the cruise. How do other people get back to the airport, hoverpacks ?!!?

We fly from Australia to the USA to cruise (18 hour flight time, not including stopovers), so Maryland to PC, we would do it in a heartbeat!

Archived