Would you do this?

I used to think I wouldn't, but last fall I definitely needed to get away from work. So I proposed a 3-day getaway to a co-worker. They never would have let us both off at that time for a whole week, so we did a 3-day and it was fabulous! And now she knows how much fun cruising is, so she joined C&A and is lobbying her husband to consider a cruise. (Do I get a commission?)

Cool. :D

I am curious on getting some opinions. Would you fly from Maryland to Port Canaveral for a 3 day weekend Bahamas get-away? This is assuming you have ruled out all other cruising options in the near future for various reasons. And it also does not include any additional time in Florida.

Is this a ridiculous idea? Would it be worth is for such a short time? :confused:

my wife and i would never fly anywhere for only a 3 nighter. we don't even do a single 7 nighter when we fly to Florida. if we fly we always do a b2b or at least an 11 nighter... if you are there---extend and get your moneys worth..

I have been known to find a cruise to fit really cheap airfare - usually out of FLL or MIA on Majesty for 3 or 4 nights. One year, DH, DD, DS and I enjoyed a three night trip on Majesty including airfare for less than $1100 total ;). I found R/T air for $92pp and ran with it :p

No. I don't like cruises less than 7 nights and prefer 10 or more. It would probably cost more to fly to Florida, park our car at the airport and pay for a hotel than a 3 night cruise. We'd actually need 2 nights in a hotel, one the night before the flight and we would want to get over the bridge the day before the flight and a pre-cruise hotel in Florida.

No. Not gonna happen.

Yep. I've flown from LA for a 4-nighter. By our standards the drive from MCO isn't bad at all, about an hour. I rented a car at MCO and dropped it in Cape Canaveral, then took the rental car company's free shuttle. It was about $30 plus a couple of gallons of gas. It gave me the opportunity to stop at CVS for some toiletries that I couldn't take in my carryon bag.

I would also pick a longer cruise over a short one and drive to the port instead of fly, but if all I can work in is 4-5 nights away with no RCI ship in LA for now, I do what I have to do to sail on them. But I wouldn't do it monthly the way we used to sail on Monarch when she was here.

Nope, if I am going to get on an airplane it is going to be for a minimum of a one week cruise, but, preferably longer. :D

We did a 3 nighter on Monarch last September and it was way too short. Not worth it if I had to fly down & back for it.

Sherri:)

I am curious on getting some opinions. Would you fly from Maryland to Port Canaveral for a 3 day weekend Bahamas get-away? This is assuming you have ruled out all other cruising options in the near future for various reasons. And it also does not include any additional time in Florida.

Is this a ridiculous idea? Would it be worth is for such a short time? :confused:

I looked up the airfare (ave $225 round trip), only if I had no other options. :(

Just did Memorial Day weekend, non stop cheap flight from Richmond, va, cheap rental car to drive to PC and one suit case carry on. Do have to say, in bed at 9 Friday night, beach days Nassau and cocoa, relaxed, ate when we wanted and did not even see any shows. Very, very, very relaxing and we like 7 or more day cruises. But as always, every cruise is too short!

I would not do it. Too much hassle with flying and too much additional expense (probably at least $600) getting to the airport, parking fees, plane ticket and the cost of getting to and from the cruise port. In addition, I would never fly in the day of a cruise, too much additional stress.

If you really need to get away for a few days I would research resorts within driving distance of your home A few I can think of are Hershey PA and the honeymoon hotels in the Poconos. There are others I've gone to with spas, indoor pools and evening entertainment. I've done wonderful short trips to inner harbor, D.C. and Philly. It is funny how we often ignore the places that are close by, while others pay a lot of money to fly to these places.

Don't misunderstand, I love cruising and we fly all the time to cruise, but I would not fly for a cruise that is less than 7 days.

From your signature, you've been on Grandeur four times with two more booked. If you can only do a weekend cruise, I highly suggest you fly to a tad more south to Miami and try the Majesty. You will see the people will make it a very different cruise. the port of Miami is a lot closer to MIA, than flying into Orlando to go to Port Canaveral.

Yep I would. But I am just a TAD bit obsessive about seeing the ocean.

Last week I decided on a Friday to pack the kids up and drive 12 hours to Hilton Head Island that Monday and come home Wednesday. Did you get that? Yes we spent a full 24 hours on the road to spend less than 2 days in a resort.

Did my kids complain? NOPE ;)

They are used to me doing crazy impulsive stuff and they love to travel.

Yes, go for it, IF you don't have to be somewhere stressful (time crunch) immediately after you return home. It could be worth it. the issue isn't the short amount of time in the bahamas (which IMO -3 days is still an ok amount of time), it is whether the whole trip can be scheduled successfully without adding a huge dent in your stress-level or finances.

bottom-line, if you won't be able to cruise for a while and really want to go there, I would recommend you do it.

Yep I would. But I am just a TAD bit obsessive about seeing the ocean.

Last week I decided on a Friday to pack the kids up and drive 12 hours to Hilton Head Island that Monday and come home Wednesday. Did you get that? Yes we spent a full 24 hours on the road to spend less than 2 days in a resort.

Did my kids complain? NOPE ;)

They are used to me doing crazy impulsive stuff and they love to travel.

I love that! You are a true beach-girl:D:cool:

Absolutely! Have you looked at fares to Melbourne, FL (MLB)? It's a 40 minute drive to PC. It's serviced by Delta and US Airways (generally connected by ATL or CLT) and a small easy peasy airport.

I would for sure!

I once took a day trip to Florida. I was there for almost exactly 24 hours. I met my best friend who was already there. We hit Universal Studios then went to the Magic Kingdom for Disney's Not-So-Scary Halloween. It was TOTALLY worth the trip. Yes I was tired the next day at work, but again, well worth it. I'd totally do it for a little getaway!

Absolutely! Have you looked at fares to Melbourne, FL (MLB)? It's a 40 minute drive to PC. It's serviced by Delta and US Airways (generally connected by ATL or CLT) and a small easy peasy airport.

I'm flying into MLB and having problems with transportation - our flight lands at 11:45pm and the car rentals all close at 11. Hertz (twice the price of Dollar/ National/ Thrifty) says they will wait if we have a reservation, so, maybe the others will, too. But, so far, all the ones I looked at will not let me do a one way rental to the port. I would have to pay for the car for 4 days and pay to park rather than just drop off at pier, what did you do?:confused:

Archived