Dilemma: 30 days in Vegas or 9 day cruise?

Davechipp74

A little background, I have a chance to go to Vegas to work for a month in Jan.(I freelance high-rise window cleaning all over the country, but mostly here at home in N.Y.) or go on a 9 day cruise the day after my 40th birthday, on board the Gem from N.Y. Jan 20. I vote cruise, my wife wants me to work. The cruise is already booked and paid for, and well within canceling without penalty. Now a month in Vegas sounds great, but it will be me and 3 guys in a Super 8 way off strip, and working at the Luxor.

Now I can afford to take winters off, cause the pay is very well when I work almost none stop from March to Nov. I guess I'm just looking for pro cruise arguments from my fellow cruise junkies. :)

A little background, I have a chance to go to Vegas to work for a month in Jan.(I freelance high-rise window cleaning all over the country, but mostly here at home in N.Y.) or go on a 9 day cruise the day after my 40th birthday, on board the Gem from N.Y. Jan 20. I vote cruise, my wife wants me to work. The cruise is already booked and paid for, and well within canceling without penalty. Now a month in Vegas sounds great, but it will be me and 3 guys in a Super 8 way off strip, and working at the Luxor.

Now I can afford to take winters off, cause the pay is very well when I work almost none stop from March to Nov. I guess I'm just looking for pro cruise arguments from my fellow cruise junkies. :)

Does your wife not want to go on a cruise? I'd choose the cruise:D, however only you and your wife know your finances and wether or not you can take the month off for a 9 day vacation.

Hmmmm let's see....work for 30 days or cruise for 9......CRUISE!!!! ;)

Does your wife not want to go on a cruise? I'd choose the cruise:D, however only you and your wife know your finances and wether or not you can take the month off for a 9 day vacation.

That sums it up.

sounds like an easy choice. plus the weather in vegas in jan/feb isn't great.

Go to work in Vegas and take the Gem in February afterwards. Why not try to do both?

coka

I think that is the smartest choice!! And I would LOVE to live on a cruise, but a month in Vegas, even at a Super 8, is a real adventure. People watching at the Luxor is worth postponing a cruise.

A month in Vegas, then a cruise...sounds like a perfect life!

Safe sailing

Priorities:

1) Providing for your family

2) Recreation

I'd do the highly paid 30 day stint then cruise later. The cruise ships aren't going away anytime soon, but not many people get to clean the Luxor :)

Priorities:

1) Providing for your family

2) Recreation

I'd do the highly paid 30 day stint then cruise later. The cruise ships aren't going away anytime soon, but not many people get to clean the Luxor :)

I agree with Mike. if the job pays well, take it.

Reschedule the cruise so you can do both.

Will the company give you a per diem to spend as you wish or will they insist on the Super 8? I have seen some terrific room rates in Vegas off peak. And if you are willing to use a bidding site, you likely could get an even better deal.

I convinced my wife that we would be better off on the cruise, playing up the fact that its very hard for her to schedule days off, and promised her I would take a few weeks work in Orlando, at the Orange County Convention Center in Feb. The point that being in Vegas with 2 or 3 of my single guy friends for almost a month helped a bit too. Thanks for the great feedback

:)

I convinced my wife that we would be better off on the cruise, playing up the fact that its very hard for her to schedule days off, and promised her I would take a few weeks work in Orlando, at the Orange County Convention Center in Feb. The point that being in Vegas with 2 or 3 of my single guy friends for almost a month helped a bit too. Thanks for the great feedback

I'll be attending a conference/show at the OCCC in February. Thanks for keeping the vista clear!

Hi Dave! Saw this thread and thought of our Panama Canal cruise last year. I also thought of your sweet wife, and as long as you work it out with her you'll be fine. She's a gem! Say hi to her for us.

I see you have made up your mind. But thanks for an interesting and different thread. I see the guys who was our windows in my office tower and think WOW. And the Luxor? Double WOW. Sounds exciting. But not as exciting as a cruise. Enjoy!

Sounds like a good decision. I had wondered how your wife could encourage you to be away from home for a month in 'Sin City' with your single guy friends. Too much temptation. I think she'll be glad for the compromise and will truly enjoy the cruise.

Archived