First-time cruiser's "surprises" on Zuiderdam to Alaska

TomAmes

Glad you enjoyed your first cruise :) It can be a different experience if you don't know what to expect so it's great that you were able to go in somewhat prepared and are now paying that forward.

The Crow's Nest and Explorer's Lounge was one of my favourite places on the Zuiderdam. The view is not obstructed at all through those windows, it's beautiful. The only issue is that it's nearly impossible to get a seat, it's a very popular location.

The toilets should have flushed when you pushed the button, but it looks like the Zuiderdam continues to have some issues with that.

About the the tendering in Juneau, when my parents did this cruise two years ago, they were told that ships usually take turns tendering in Juneau when all the berths are full. At that time, Zuiderdam was tendering about once a month. When we were there last year, we took the last docking spot and the Celebrity Infinity was tendering. Looks like it was just your turn this time around. I suspect they don't indicate it on the itinerary because it's not a regular thing.

We've had too many cabins with "delayed reaction" toilets to believe it was a switch or button problem in all of them. On more than one ship we have noticed that the delay (which ranged from a few seconds to several minutes) was much more likely to happen when the ship was in port. I speculate that the vacuum may be lower when the engines are just "idling" to produce electric power than when running at full speed under way. I've never questioned any ship engineer about that theory, though. :)

Some ports (not all) are now equipped to supply all electricity to the ships. This allows engines to be shut off and that cuts down on port air pollution. This may also contribute to lower vacuum pressure.

To TomAmes:

We loved the Zuiderdam! It was our first cruise too.

Upon our return, we immediately booked the partial Panama Canal itinerary on the Zuiderdam.

We found the longer cruise (10 days) and the Caribbean a GREAT next step in cruising (for us) as the water is not as calm and protected as the Alaska cruise from Vancouver. But it was still wonderful and we learned we love sea days too.

Enjoy whatever cruise you pick next!

Surprises were not so surprising and certainly I hope did not cause any concern what so ever.

Not at all. The biggest surprise was seeing just how much fun our teenager had on-board. We knew he'd entertain himself just fine if he met another kid or two. Just how many he met and how quickly and solidly they all bonded was quite a pleasant surprise. The abundance and variety of food was quite intriguing to him prior to the cruise, but he became so engrossed with his newfound friends that food quickly faded into the background--and that is quite rare for him. Judging from DS's Facebook pictures and comments since we got home, many of those kids will stay in touch with each other for at least a while.

And I may well not be giving HAL enough credit for their role in this as early reports from DS suggested that the teen's activities were largely self-directed. However, on the last day I did hear DS telling DW about one of the staff members at the Loft and talking about what a "cool guy" he was. So HAL undoubtedly provided a positive environment for them to get together and hang out which likely prevented a horde of teenagers from running around the ship wreaking havoc :)

Glad you enjoyed your first cruise :) It can be a different experience if you don't know what to expect so it's great that you were able to go in somewhat prepared and are now paying that forward.

The Crow's Nest and Explorer's Lounge was one of my favourite places on the Zuiderdam. The view is not obstructed at all through those windows, it's beautiful. The only issue is that it's nearly impossible to get a seat, it's a very popular location.

The toilets should have flushed when you pushed the button, but it looks like the Zuiderdam continues to have some issues with that.

About the the tendering in Juneau, when my parents did this cruise two years ago, they were told that ships usually take turns tendering in Juneau when all the berths are full. At that time, Zuiderdam was tendering about once a month. When we were there last year, we took the last docking spot and the Celebrity Infinity was tendering. Looks like it was just your turn this time around. I suspect they don't indicate it on the itinerary because it's not a regular thing.

I may have overemphasized my disappointment with the Crow's Nest. The view while standing was magnificent! However, when I was seated at the panoramic window, the junction at the angle where the glass was joined simply hit my line of vision of where I wanted to look the most. I'm sure this varies widely for individuals and YMMV. The popularity of the Crow's Nest certainly indicates that many folks love spending extended periods of time there.

You're exactly right about knowing what to expect having a huge influence on one's enjoyment. Reading the contributions of posters on CC prior to the cruise helped us immensely.

And thanks to all in this thread for the kind comments!

Wonderful post. We are on the Zuiderdam Sept. 21 for the second time, (5th to Alaska). Do they still put on the late desert spread around the Lido Pool?

We were on the "Z" in May 2013 for two weeks and "Yes" the dessert night is still going strong.

I believe the height is regulated. Because of several incidents over the last few years some people have been pushing to make them higher.

This would probably be a good thing, as then pax could see under the balcony railing while seated!

This would probably be a good thing, as then pax could see under the balcony railing while seated!

Not much higher, though, or I would be looking at the railing while standing! :eek:

TomAmes..Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the "Zuiderdam" & your first cruise..So glad you DS found a group to hang with..

Just a note about ships toilets...They are not electronic but are a vacuum sanitation systems..But they also use the ships electrical system to get the waste into holding tanks... Private boats & even aircraft use the same system..Waste from the bathrooms must go into a ship/boat holding tank, as required by law..It can't be pumped out into the sea..

Vacuum systems often fail even on small boats..We cruised with friends & their system failed once..We had to wait to get into a port which had parts for their toilet..My Friends DH & my DH spent two days fixing their system..That is no fun..:eek: Fortunately, we docked at a Marina & they could use their facilities..

The odor you may have noticed is probably from the holding tank which has to be pumped out while the ship/boat is in port..They bring a truck up to the ship & the waste is pumped into that..It's similar to a truck which used to go to private homes which needed cesspools pumped out.. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the odor..

There is a WEB site which explains ships vacuum systems & why ships systems fail..It explains why the Carnival system failed on the Triumph..Sometimes toilets fail, because someone on the line has put something into the toilet which does not belong there..When we took Friends aboard, my job was to explain to them that nothing could be put into the toilet which could make it fail..Even toilet paper was wrapped & put into a special wastebasket..

http://maritime.about.com/od/Environment/a/Cruise-Ship-Sanitation-Why-Toilets-Fail.htm

Thanks again for your review & hope you have many more great cruises..You will always remember your first cruise!

Cheers..:)Betty

Betty,

Thanks for the info. That satisfies my curiosity about the toilet. We were all simply surprised that it wasn't "one push and done". I was fascinated by there seeming to be no pattern to it and by the fact that it seemed to have been flushed remotely when we could not do it. I wish my plumbing problems at home could be resolved in a similar fashion!

And the odor we noticed in the two hallways was apparently short-lived--at least in our travels about the ship.

Betty,

Thanks for the info. That satisfies my curiosity about the toilet. We were all simply surprised that it wasn't "one push and done". I was fascinated by there seeming to be no pattern to it and by the fact that it seemed to have been flushed remotely when we could not do it. I wish my plumbing problems at home could be resolved in a similar fashion!

And the odor we noticed in the two hallways was apparently short-lived--at least in our travels about the ship.

You were lucky..... our toilet seldom flushed at all on the Zuiderdam, and at one point during our 22-day cruise the system ship-wide was down for a day, and 2 vacuum pumps had to be replaced. But that didn't help with our cabin toilet. I have heard that many of these problems have since been fixed, and sure hope so because we're on her again next month. Great ship, otherwise.

We, too, loved the Crow's Nest and went every evening. We never had trouble finding a seat -- but then, this was the Caribbean and all there was to see was the bow of the ship and flat blue water! (It was not Alaska, where I hear tell there is more scenery! :))

We never experienced any toilet function or odor issues, but as someone has said, I guess these are not uncommon on some ships?

[quote name='TomAmes']I think you guys will have a great time. I wanted to respond to a couple of your comments inside the quote box.

The plexiglass on the railing is tinted but it is not so dark that it can not be seen through at all. It just isn't completely transparent. We never wore our sunglasses on the balcony, but the glass might seem opaque if you do.
[COLOR=red]I understood your description. The blue tint I referenced on RCCL is likewise not so dark to be light blocking, but just kind of annoying to look through IMO. I think it is done for cleaning purposes in that the dried sea spray is not as visible on the tint as on clear glass, and cuts down on complaints about dirty balcony glass, but that is just my thought.[/COLOR]

Juneau was scheduled to be a docking port, but for some reason we were tendered. That was simply a very minor inconvenience to us, but it may have been frustrating for those with tight excursion schedules. I never heard why we were tendered rather than docked, and I wasn't concerned enough to ask.
[COLOR=red]Thanks for the additional clarification. Perhaps another ship at the berth that had to delay departure for some reason. During peak season every where, the arrivals and departures at the berths are like a well choreographed dance, until the first misstep, then it is more like falling dominoes.[/COLOR]

Have a great cruise![/quote]
[COLOR=red]Thanks. [/COLOR]

Archived