Dress Code Problem

user8

I have a question concerning the dress code for formal nights. As I understand it, men must wear a tie but I have a problem with that. My arm is crippled and I can not reach the top button on my shirts and thus I am unable to wear a tie. Will I be excluded from entering the mdr on formal nights?

Thanks in advance.

I have a question concerning the dress code for formal nights. As I understand it, men must wear a tie but I have a problem with that. My arm is crippled and I can not reach the top button on my shirts and thus I am unable to wear a tie. Will I be excluded from entering the mdr on formal nights?

Thanks in advance.

You can always use a clip on tie with the other arm.

I doubt that you would be turned away, but here's a couple of other solutions..

In addition to a clip on bow tie this site has pre-tied long ties of many different colors which may just slip over your head..Even if you can't slip it over your head, perhaps as someone else mentioned, your steward would be glad to help you with it..

http://www.tuxedosonline.com/search_results.asp?PAGE=3&txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=27&txtsearchParamType=ANY&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtSale=&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&btnSearch%2Ex=12&btnSearch%2Ey=4

Also have seen in some formal wear sites on line, high necked pullover formal shirts which do not require a tie..Can't seem to find a web site showing them but will keep looking for you..

Same site has a mandarin collar or shirt which only requires someone to attach a button..

http://www.tuxedosonline.com/shirts.8.0.0.1.htm

Cheers...:)Betty

P.S. A banded collar shirt would also work..

http://www.tuxedosonline.com/white_men%27s_banded_collar_dress_non_pleated_tuxedo_shirt/p/wmo8

Thank you everybody for all your suggestions and comments. Like I said, I am unable to reach the top button on any of my shirts so I don't see how using a clip-on would work. Since I can't button the top button, my shirt remains open at the top and there is nothing to clip a tie onto. But I like the idea of getting someone to button my shirt for me so that I can then wear whatever kind of tie I want. Although I dislike having to ask someone to secure the button for me, I guess most people would not really mind doing it for me. I'll just have to be sure my shirt does have a top button.

Thanks again for your comments.

I'd also bet if you went to the MDR with jacket and no tie and quietly told the host at the door your situation there would be no further problem at all. ;)

I agree and really hope you do not stress about this. Look forward to your cruise and know that you will be seated in the MDR either by getting assistance from your steward (or someone else) and/or a brief word with Dining Room Manager or Assistant. This is not something you need to worry about. :)

We had a similar situation but much funnier. Our second cruise, me, my mom, my best friend and my then 5 yr old son. Hubby stayed home due to severe motion sickness. We are running around getting dressed for formal night...3 women, 1 stateroom..not pretty. We are almost ready and someone says "hey, I got the little guy in his suit but I don't know how to tie a tie"! Unfortunately, none of us knew how! I was still only partially dressed, so I asked my friend to drag my son out to the elevators and nab the first gentleman she sees and ask if he'd tie the kid's tie. It worked and everyone got a chuckle. I think if you asked anyone, they would be willing to help...and your situation is much more understandable than just clueless women.

We got our nights mixed up on the Westerdam last September. We thought the 2nd formal night was the 5th night and it was actually the 4th. DH wore slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt open at the top, no tie or jacket. They seated us immediately without saying a word about how we were dressed. It was only after we were seated that we realized it was formal night. Oops :o We were in Alaska though (tends to be less formal). We also had open dining and we ate early, like 5:30 or 6:00. Not sure if those mattered.

I often don't button the top button because it's more comfortable for me that way since I have slightly outgrown the collar size. :o Just cinching up the tie holds the collar together enough. Also, a clip on bow tie can be used, as it will hold the collar closed sufficiently without being buttoned. As mamaofami suggested, you could have one in your pocket and ask for assistance from the DRM if challenged.

But, as many others said, I doubt you would be questioned as long as you're wearing a dress shirt and a jacket.

Archived