Travel Agent and Free Stuff

I went through a travel agent because I was able to get some free stuff for my upcoming cruise. Some of the stuff I got was straight up OBC, dinner for two at a specialty restaurant, soda package for one kid, and meals for 4 at Johnny Rockets. What I want to know is: When does that show up on my account and how does it show up?

I get that the OBC will be the dollar amount, but what about the specialty restaurant? Will that just be an additional $60 in my account? Can I use it for something else then? With the soda package, do I have to sign up for it beforehand or when I board? Since my ship doesn't have a Johnny Rockets, will that money just be added to the OBC?

What have you experienced?

Thanks!

I went through a travel agent because I was able to get some free stuff for my upcoming cruise. Some of the stuff I got was straight up OBC, dinner for two at a specialty restaurant, soda package for one kid, and meals for 4 at Johnny Rockets. What I want to know is: When does that show up on my account and how does it show up?

I get that the OBC will be the dollar amount, but what about the specialty restaurant? Will that just be an additional $60 in my account? Can I use it for something else then? With the soda package, do I have to sign up for it beforehand or when I board? Since my ship doesn't have a Johnny Rockets, will that money just be added to the OBC?

What have you experienced?

Thanks!

I've never used a travel agent before so I can't really answer your question, but I did want to comment that that seems really generous. Curious how much the obc is?

For my upcoming Oasis cruise we got $100 OBC from the TA, free prepaid gratuities from the TA, specialty dining for 2, and $100 OBC from Royal Caribbean for booking onboard.

I think we did pretty well. I've never seen the Johnny Rockets deal, but with the spcialty dining for two, you will print out a generic voucher and give it to the specialty restaurant on the ship.

From what we have experienced the OBC will appear on your account the day or two after you sail. Just check your TV or go to Guest Services and they can confirm it - but do wait a day or two.

When we received dinner at a specialty restaurant our travel agent told us the amount we were allowed. I asked how to redeem it and was told to just go to any of the pay restaurants and make a reservation. We chose Chops as that amount corresponded to the amount from the TA. We were told we could use it at any restaurant but would have to pay the difference if the cost of the meal was more than the allowed amount. We never had a problem when we did eat at Chops. We did check with them when we made the reservation after boarding the ship to be sure it was noted in RCL's system - and it was.

Be sure to take all paperwork with you in case there is a problem. Enjoy!

Our OBC showed up a couple of days after we sailed. The TA had told us to look for it so we knew it would take a day or two. The other stuff came to the cabin (wine and strawberries), and the dinner was a voucher that showed up the second day.

Ummmm. I am going on my first cruise and reserved by phone with rccl.

Now I am feeling a little bit cheated.

If it's been less than 60 days since you booked, you can still transfer your booking to a travel agent.

Bob,

Do you think that is the way to go.

Are there pros and cons to doing this?

Thanks

Yes, there are pros and cons and that is something you have to decide for yourself. You may lose a degree of after hours responsiveness if you use an agent because they may not have an office that is open 24/7 like Royal is.

Really interesting topic! I've been appreciative of the of the little extras our TA has provided (chocolate covered strawberries, bottles of wine, etc). But now I am wanting more :D Would it hurt to, say, email our TA about our trip on Grandeur next year with something like "we'd love to try Izumi, but enjoy the MDR and can't rationalize the upcharge" and see if she bites? Weasely, sure, but what the heck. We booked the Grandeur trip on Jewel and linked the reservation to her just in case we needed to switch some things up, so she received the booking for doing nothing (so far).

Really interesting topic! I've been appreciative of the of the little extras our TA has provided (chocolate covered strawberries, bottles of wine, etc). But now I am wanting more :D Would it hurt to, say, email our TA about our trip on Grandeur next year with something like "we'd love to try Izumi, but enjoy the MDR and can't rationalize the upcharge" and see if she bites? Weasely, sure, but what the heck. We booked the Grandeur trip on Jewel and linked the reservation to her just in case we needed to switch some things up, so she received the booking for doing nothing (so far).

I wouldn't "beat around the bush". :) Tell her you read Cruise Critic and a lot of people receive more perks than what she gives you. Send her a link to this thread.

My TA gives me back 10% of the price of the cruise, in shipboard credit, on the amount she earns commission on. I'd rather have sb credit to spend on what I want to. It's also refundable credit, if I don't use it all.

I make sure she's still giving the credit, before I book with her. That way there's no misunderstanding.

We booked for the first time through an on-line T/A and got some great perks. We booked an 11 day on Explorer of the Seas. We got prepaid gratuities, specialty dining for 2, spa credit, $50 OBC, as well as our diamond balcony discount. We were told that the T/A sends a manifest to the ship (of people who have been given free specialty dining) and once you board you go to the restaurant to reserve, they will have your name already.

My TA gives 10% of the price of the cruise (up to Royals limits), my next cruise I also got a dining certificate and a spa treatment.

To answer the op's question he sent me vouchers for the dinner and spa. They state that the ship has been notified of my vouchers and all I need to do is book once on board. So for that particular cruise I have the D+ BOGO first night dinner the cert for dinner and a friend traveling with me has a two dinner certs, so we got lucky...it's 14 nights so that helps a bit.

I booked with an online TA two weeks ago for the Allure in December. I received OBC, specialty dining for 2, one spa treatment, prepaid gratuities and I save $30 at the Hyatt the night before the cruise.

I specifically chose this company because of the extras they offered.

I also booked with a TA via one of those big box warehouse clubs. Received pretty much the same perks as the OP. OBC of $100, Dinner for 2 Specialty Restaurant, 4 meals at Johnny Rockets, and 1 Soda package because we are sailing with kids under 18. In addition to the on board perks, we'll receive a $100 gift card from the warehouse club for using their TA, as well as a $50 gift card from the warehouse club for being a return customer (our last cruise was also booked via this TA.

Total cost of the Perks: $366.00

Bob,

Do you think that is the way to go.

Are there pros and cons to doing this?

Thanks

The pro is whatever perks you get, the con is that you cannot call RCL with questions. Be wary of change fees or varying cancellation fees with TAs. Mine gives me 6% as refundable OBC plus everything the cruise line offers, which I was happy with until I started reading some of the others here!

Is there a place where there are TA's listed or are some of the TA'a popular websites to be found around the web?

I am curious because I live in a smaller city so there is no such things as travel agents there.

I would suggest you look for travel agents that offer group cruises, even though you probably won't book a group cruise. I found the agent I use, when I was reading another cruise board and looking at their group cruises. Check with the BBB, before booking with a new agent and look for reviews of the agency online.

Cruise Critic has a group agency they use and I believe the agency offers some perks, even if you're not booking with a group. I'm on their email list and get weekly emails from them, with special offers.

Most local agencies can't offer the perks you get with online agencies, since most don't do the volume that an online agency does. Local agents might also have more overhead costs.

We have always used a kinda/sorta friend of the family TA, who gave us nothing. On our Oasis cruise 2 years ago, we had 22 people traveling in our group. Part of the group booked an Aqua Theater, and there were also 3 JS's. Trust me, this cost a lot of money. I was looking around one day, and realized that other TA's were offering "stuff"...and we were getting none of it. Not one single thing, and our group was spending tens of thousands of dollars. It just didn't seem right. I spoke with our TA and told her what we could get from a big, national warehouse retailer. She didn't meet it 100%, but did manage to get us ~4% OBC.

Fast forward to my upcoming Allure cruise, and we have opted not to use our old TA anymore. We are getting ~8.5% back as OBC, and on our ridiculously expensive JS's, this turns out to be a lot of money. I much prefer having the OBC as opposed to "stuff"...that way, I can spend it as I please. Having said that, the offer of specialty dining, gratuities, etc. might be better if your cruise fare is not as high.

Is there a place where there are TA's listed or are some of the TA'a popular websites to be found around the web?

I am curious because I live in a smaller city so there is no such things as travel agents there.

That would be useful, but I've never see a website with that info. We found our TA from a personal recommendation.

Ummmm. I am going on my first cruise and reserved by phone with rccl.

Now I am feeling a little bit cheated.

If it’s the first time dealing with TA, I would not expect much. They do provide perks for loyalty. We have been using the same TA for approx. 20+ cruises so she values our business.

John

For my upcoming Oasis cruise we got $100 OBC from the TA, free prepaid gratuities from the TA, specialty dining for 2, and $100 OBC from Royal Caribbean for booking onboard.

I think we did pretty well. I've never seen the Johnny Rockets deal, but with the spcialty dining for two, you will print out a generic voucher and give it to the specialty restaurant on the ship.

For my Allure cruise in Feb. '14, got just about the same comps from my on-line TA, including an OBC from Royal from using a NCC. This is the first time I'm using them and hope it's on the up and up.

Archived