Royal Caribbean should look at the CC homepage poll

It looks to me that 90 to 95% of the posts on this thread are American, the worlds greatest producers of greenhouse gases, drive the greatest amount of gas gussling cars and are responsible in my opinion for the greatest amount of pollution in the western world, as the cheek to complain about smoking on a balcony with a ship in open water travelling at 20 knots. Get your own house in order before trying to change the smoking policy on sailings out of Europe.

You mean like stop giving money to counties all over the world and take care of our own people first?

It looks to me that 90 to 95% of the posts on this thread are American, the worlds greatest producers of greenhouse gases, drive the greatest amount of gas gussling cars and are responsible in my opinion for the greatest amount of pollution in the western world, as the cheek to complain about smoking on a balcony with a ship in open water travelling at 20 knots. Get your own house in order before trying to change the smoking policy on sailings out of Europe.

So you can only 'get things in order'... in a certain order?

In any case, who's to say the posters here don't already have their 'own house in order'? :D

Almost half of cruisers have a problem with smoking balcony neighbors.

Wake up RCI! When I pay ten thousand dollars for a suite, I don't want smoke in my face during breakfast!

Given that only a small percentage of the total cruising population world wide is even registered on Cruise Critic let alone posts or participates in polls , how than can you "Almost half of cruisers have a problem with smoking balcony neighbors. ":confused:

We're not just looking at changing the smoking poilcy out of Europe - we're being fair and including all RCI ships all over the world. We wouldn't want to discriminate.:D:rolleyes:;)

Smokers have now been reduced to limited areas on a couple of decks and balconies and now you want to take that away as well. And you say smokers are selfish! You have the whole of the rest of the ship that is smoke free.

Last Aug we cruised on the OASIS, and while I am not a smoker- I only noticed smoke a few times while on our balcony.

Twice it was cigar smoke (which I am not a fan of - yet, it didn't ruin my time on the balcony) and two times it was marijuana smoke (which baffled me more than anything...RCI won't let a drop of booze make it on board, yet somehow these people were able to get drugs on board??).

That being said, I try to live and let live...

Would I prefer non-smoking -yes...

but do I also understand that people enjoy smoking - yes

I won't let anyone other than ME ruin my vacation :) (and that didnt happen)

Smokers have now been reduced to limited areas on a couple of decks and balconies and now you want to take that away as well.

Not all of it. They can still have a couple limited areas to smoke.

By the way, the way you phrase it is wrong, anyway. "Smokers" haven't been reduced to limited areas. They can go anywhere that any other passenger can go - just not while they're smoking. They, too, have the "whole rest of the ship." :cool:

Great - tell me which have zip line, FlowRider®, ice skate, rock climb, and mini golf -- you get the picture. I just want to enjoy a cruise, with great things to do and the great smell of the ocean.

Oasis and Allure have all these wonderful amenities plus smoke-free interior balconies which you can get. That's what we do. I don't let anything ruin my vacations and instead of complaining about things, I plan in advance on what I may encounter by picking a certain cabin and understand that if there happens to be a smoker next door, I have to understand that they have every right to be out there smoking! Just as I would understand if there are small children in the balcony next door screaming, crying, yelling I would have to deal with that as well. No matter what happens with this smoking policy, people will always find something else to complain about and harp on. Nature of the beast, I guess!

Edit: Just curious on why there is not a suggestion to make the half of the ship that is non smoking apply to those balconies on the same side?

Dolfans from Miami

Edit: Just curious on why there is not a suggestion to make the half of the ship that is non smoking apply to those balconies on the same side?

That suggestion is made pretty regularly. It's probably around in this thread somewhere.

That suggestion is made pretty regularly. It's probably around in this thread somewhere.

Thank you, Paul. I see that now. So what is wrong with doing that? Half the boat including the balconies on that half smoke, and the other half does not? Why is it all or nothing?

Dolfans from Miami

Have you not seen the threads on which is the best side of the ship to see the ports while docked, and such things??? Who gets that side of the ship, the smokers or the non smokers? Same goes for the itineraries where the "sights" are better on one side than the other. I can just see it now, I wanted to smoke, but had to be on the bad side of the ship, or vice versa, to do so.

Also, there is never an equal number of those that want smoking and non smoking balconies on a ship. Is the cruise line to discount cabins one side if they are not selling as well?? What about families that want to stay near each other but want both types of cabins?

There is a whole list of things that make having one side of the ships balconies smoking and the other not be unrealistic. On the other hand maybe do so and see which side sells out first :D.

As others have said I would love the balconies to be non smoking, but so far have never had an issue and almost always have booked balconies. It is a matter of time, smoking is getting more and more restricted world wide, it will hit ships at some point. Whether that is next month (as reported here), next year, 10 years, etc nobody knows.

I have said many times that I am a non-smoker and I don't care if I get blasted and flammed on here because people on any message board unless you have interacted with them in person is really just someone sitting a keyboard typing stuff just like me. But anyway:

I just flat out refuse to believe that you are going to inhale and get enough of 2nd hand smoke while out on a balcony on a ship moving while out at sea as if you are standing in a crowd of smokers somewhere. If while in port I can see it, but not out at sea. It's ludicrous! And then the non-smokers in this thread would really want you to believe that their smoking neighbors just happened to always be out on their balcony at the same time they are out there, which means they both come and go at the same time. I don't think that a smoker who is out and about on the ship is going to truck all the way back to the cabin to go out on the balcony to smoke a cigerette, when there are smoking areas elswhere.

Non smokers make out like the smokers don't have any life on the cruise other than sitting out on their balcony to smoke. They don't go to the pools, they don't go to the shows, but their whole life on the cruise revolves around sitting on the balcony to smoke, but then too the non smokers must not do anything around the ship neither as they are always on the balcony with the smokers.

The non smokers want the smokers to not light up one while they are out on the balcony at the same time. The smoker paid and the non smoker paid, so until RCI bans smoking from balconies then "US" non smokers need to just get over it and deal with.

I have said many times that I am a non-smoker and I don't care if I get blasted and flammed on here because people on any message board unless you have interacted with them in person is really just someone sitting a keyboard typing stuff just like me. But anyway:

I just flat out refuse to believe that you are going to inhale and get enough of 2nd hand smoke while out on a balcony on a ship moving while out at sea as if you are standing in a crowd of smokers somewhere. If while in port I can see it, but not out at sea. It's ludicrous! And then the non-smokers in this thread would really want you to believe that their smoking neighbors just happened to always be out on their balcony at the same time they are out there, which means they both come and go at the same time. I don't think that a smoker who is out and about on the ship is going to truck all the way back to the cabin to go out on the balcony to smoke a cigerette, when there are smoking areas elswhere.

Non smokers make out like the smokers don't have any life on the cruise other than sitting out on their balcony to smoke. They don't go to the pools, they don't go to the shows, but their whole life on the cruise revolves around sitting on the balcony to smoke, but then too the non smokers must not do anything around the ship neither as they are always on the balcony with the smokers.

The non smokers want the smokers to not light up one while they are out on the balcony at the same time. The smoker paid and the non smoker paid, so until RCI bans smoking from balconies then "US" non smokers need to just get over it and deal with.

How dare you use logic!! You know that doesn't fly around here. :p

That's not true. The smokers around the pool can be a problem, too.

By the way, I don't think anyone claims that you get exposed to the same amount of smoke from a neighbor smoking on his/her balcony that you would from "standing in a crowd of smokers somewhere."

While one person calls your post logic, to me it is just an emotional rant.

It's not about whether or not the smoke exposure from Situation A is the same as from Situation B. It's about how much unwanted smoke exposure is acceptable. Some people think none, some are OK with a little, some think they have a "right" to smoke wherever they please without regard for the effects on others.

I agree that, until RCI changes the policy, non-smokers will have to deal with it. That doesn't mean we can't voice our opinions and try to help push RCI toward changing the policy. :cool:

No flame here. I agree with you.

bigque - Spot on - totally agree with your post.

I am non smoking whilst DW is - she never walks back to the balcony to smoke - ther are smoking area's which she uses as per the RCI rules.

Smoking on the balcony is an agenda that 0.00001% of RCI cruisers try to make an issue about. Yawn Yawn.

Smoking in confined spaces should never ever be allowed - outdoors on a balcony - sorry but this is open air.

That's not true. The smokers around the pool can be a problem, too.

By the way, I don't think anyone claims that you get exposed to the same amount of smoke from a neighbor smoking on his/her balcony that you would from "standing in a crowd of smokers somewhere."

While one person calls your post logic, to me it is just an emotional rant.

It's not about whether or not the smoke exposure from Situation A is the same as from Situation B. It's about how much unwanted smoke exposure is acceptable. Some people think none, some are OK with a little, some think they have a "right" to smoke wherever they please without regard for the effects on others.

I agree that, until RCI changes the policy, non-smokers will have to deal with it. That doesn't mean we can't voice our opinions and try to help push RCI toward changing the policy. :cool:

As I said what I wrote is from the perspective of a "NON SMOKER" so I am not standing up for smokers rights, but saying what I said after following this thread since it's inception. And it has been said many times by posters what you claim to have not been said in your 2nd paragraph. You missed most of the point I was trying to make. That's it for now. I will come back after this is around for another 10 pages.

And it has been said many times by posters what you claim to have not been said in your 2nd paragraph. You missed most of the point I was trying to make.

No it hasn't. Show me even one post that says being on a balcony with a neighbor smoking is just like standing in a crowd of smokers. You make up something nobody (or very few people, if anyone) ever said, then call it ludicrous.

You're right, of course, to suggest it's ludicrous to think those two situations are exactly the same. It's not, however, ludicrous to suggest that having a smoking neighbor can be a problem for many people.

Being a non-smoker yourself doesn't make your points any more accurate.

Seriously, my brother would be one of those who spends the majority of his time on his balcony smoking!(He does this while staying in hotels too) Yeah, he smokes THAT much!

:eek::rolleyes::p

Thank you, Paul. I see that now. So what is wrong with doing that? Half the boat including the balconies on that half smoke, and the other half does not? Why is it all or nothing?

Yes, that suggestion does come up quite a bit and without putting any thought to it, it might sound like a decent idea. But if you put some thought into the logistics of that set up, you'll understand it just can't be done. There's no way that arrangement can be sustained, especially when so many more people are non-smokers than smokers.

Thank you 2 smokes yesterday 0 smokes today first day of 0 smokes since i was 19 and i'm 36 now :eek:

That's great!!!

I was a smoker for many years too. So glad I kicked the habit, ... about 13 yrs. ago. Wish I had done it MANY years earlier.

Keep at it. :)

Archived