Why do people organise their own tours?

Dunedin's not so bad.

We picked up a mini bus tour at the information centre in Dunedin -can't remember but it was cheap - saw many of the main sights, then had a nice lunch and shuttled back to the ship.

Did not visit Speights or Cadbury but saw a lot of people with large bags of chocolate :)

Akaroa is a great little town - booked the Black Cat dolphin cruise privately before leaving home (easy to work out timing on that as it leaves from the same jetty as you arrive on the tender) so no further transport needed. We had a nice lunch (again... a bit of a pattern here?). I do remember it was a bit drizzly and cold even though it was January.

Each time we have sailed into Milford Sound it has been cold in the early morning. On a cruise that friends of ours were on, it actually snowed onto the deck. That was a week into February - that should be the warmest time. All the Queenslanders on that cruise were caught short of warm clothes. Dunedin and Christchurch can be cool and windy. "Windy Wellington" can also be windy. :)

Each time we have sailed into Milford Sound it has been cold in the early morning. On a cruise that friends of ours were on, it actually snowed onto the deck. That was a week into February - that should be the warmest time. All the Queenslanders on that cruise were caught short of warm clothes. Dunedin and Christchurch can be cool and windy. "Windy Wellington" can also be windy. :)

Yes, it can be a big shock to the system compared to the typical Aussie summer.:D

Thanks for the replies to my post everyone. We are doing the Celebrity Solstice NZ cruise the 28th November this year. The boat stops Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga and Aukland.

There are some issues with booking your own tour from what I have read on some forum threads. For instance the Tranz Alpine train journey from Akaroa port I have heard the ship works in with the train to get you back on time whereas if you do it yourself you may not get back. At $367 for the day it seems a lot for a days train trip!! Wonder how much if you booked yourself?

Yes, that's one that people often do the ship's tour for, otherwise depending on timing it may not be possible, or risky.

It's one of the ones substantially affected by children's pricing that I mentioned above. I think children are free or very low cost, whereas if you do the ship's way it's close to adult price.

Also there is an option for an overnight tour to Queenstown and accommodation for $500, quite pricey but you would have to do it through the ship to syncrhonise everything.

As you say, ship is the only option for this. There's no other way to do it other than through the ship anyway, as it involves a tender connection to/from the ship.

Dunedin is "OK" -- but it is still just another city in many respects. You will see more of NZ in the country than in any of their cities (IMO)

Barry

Hmm, well most cities are just other cities. :)

Did a private tour here, for world's steepest street (the Jaffa roll is fun!:D), the castle and albatross centre and penguins, sea lions and ATV tour. It was definitely a good visit.

Each time we have sailed into Milford Sound it has been cold in the early morning. On a cruise that friends of ours were on, it actually snowed onto the deck.

Wow, that would have been a memorable experience. :-)

Coming from Au to NZ you do Milford Sound early in the morning. Because the sides are so steep and high it takes a while for the sun to get in. Doing the cruise the other way Milford is around late afternoon and it looks and feels quite different.

We have cruised around New Zealand twice. Thirteen years ago on P&O's great Pacific Sky. Cruised anti-clockwise entering Milford Sound virtually at daybreak. Very cold and wet, but stunning. Two years ago we did New Zealand clockwise on the beautiful Sun Princess. This time we entered all the fiords in the afternoon. Nice and warm and in beautiful sunshine. Stunning in the wet but even more so in the sunshine.

Coming from Au to NZ you do Milford Sound early in the morning. Because the sides are so steep and high it takes a while for the sun to get in. Doing the cruise the other way Milford is around late afternoon and it looks and feels quite different.

Hi David that is so true. I have done Milford both ways and it is entirely different cruising through early morning where is was misty and magical, then to cruising in the afternoon where the sky was so blue with the snow capped mountains dwarfed the ship.

We have cruised around New Zealand twice. Thirteen years ago on P&O's great Pacific Sky. Cruised anti-clockwise entering Milford Sound virtually at daybreak. Very cold and wet, but stunning. Two years ago we did New Zealand clockwise on the beautiful Sun Princess. This time we entered all the fiords in the afternoon. Nice and warm and in beautiful sunshine. Stunning in the wet but even more so in the sunshine.

It truly is a beautiful place and to see it in both morning and afternoon is fantastic.:D

I booked mostly private tours for our upcoming Australia/NZ cruise in January, as well as ship tours in Sydney (Blue Mountains on the day we sail) and Bay of Islands (Waitangi Treaty Grounds & Pioneer Settlement). We will have a DIY day in Wellington. I could've booked both shore excursions independently, but preferred the timing of the ship's tours.

Very wise decision as this tour typically returns at 6.30pm right on departure time. Have had personal experience with this. The basic minimum Blue Mountains tour takes 9 hours not counting traffic delays. A private excursion on sailing day would have to be cut to the bare bones in order to be back on time.

thanks for your replies... its funny we thought we got a good deal for the celebrity suite at $3000 each for 12 nights but you can easily add another $1000 to that for the tours especially the trans alpine train and overnight tour to Queenstown. Oh well better to do them than wonder why we didn't

thanks for your replies... its funny we thought we got a good deal for the celebrity suite at $3000 each for 12 nights but you can easily add another $1000 to that for the tours especially the trans alpine train and overnight tour to Queenstown. Oh well better to do them than wonder why we didn't

Yes, the extras add up quickly. If you think you will never go back and you want to do it, then you may as well, it is only money after all and the memories will last for your lifetime.:D

On the Taieri Gorge Railway in Dunedin. Celebrity wants $199 USD for their excursion, about $243 NZD. I made a reservation direct with the railway for less than half. Here is my confirmation info.

"Hello,

I am happy to confirm your booking on the Taieri Gorge Railway for 2 adults for a return journey to Middlemarch, on the 22nd November 2013

The train departs from Dunedin Railway Station at 9:30am and arrives back into Dunedin at 3:25pm.

The fare is NZ$107.00 per adult. Total cost is NZ$214.00.

There is no need to pay until the day of travel.

Your report time at Dunedin Railway Station is 9:15am please. You can pay and collect your tickets then."

We took the private tour option too last year!

Just be aware that the ship's train tour passengers board their train at the wharf whereas the private tour people have to take the free shuttle bus into Dunedin to the station where you give your name, they find your ticket then you pay.

We then had to wait for the ship's train to pass us before our second train could leave the station. They apparantly received a free lunch which was no more than sandwiches and a plastic cup of wine if I remember correctly.

We just bought something on the train or you could wait until you reached the top of the gorge (where the train stopped for about 45 minutes) and purchase lunch at the local pub.

The scenery and landscape was just magnificent so I'm sure you'll really enjoy your trip.

There wasn't enough time to do any sight-seeing in Dunedin because by the time we arrived back at the station it was time to find our shuttle bus back to the Port.

You'll love the architecture of the station and other buildings in Dunedin.

I cant stand tour guide,s and non western guides have always got a sob story to try and make you feel sorry enough to give them some money:rolleyes:

Local tour guide = local rip off stops you dont want or need:)

I cant stand tour guide,s and non western guides have always got a sob story to try and make you feel sorry enough to give them some money:rolleyes:

Local tour guide = local rip off stops you dont want or need:)

This may be a generalization or it may be true for you as I have encountered some like this, but many more who are actually great at their jobs.:D

Just be aware that the ship's train tour passengers board their train at the wharf whereas the private tour people have to take the free shuttle bus into Dunedin

Just keep in mind as the OP referred to Celebrity that with Celebrity, there aint no such thing as a free shuttle. ;)

thanks for your replies... its funny we thought we got a good deal for the celebrity suite at $3000 each for 12 nights

On the upside, I would say that is definitely a good price for the Celebrity suite. :D

This may be a generalization or it may be true for you as I have encountered some like this, but many more who are actually great at their jobs.:D

I know where he's coming from, but I've had good experiences as well.

Given the dominance of American tourists though, tour guides are used to a fair amount of tipping so that's just the way expectations are.