Why do people organise their own tours?

On Celebrity Solstice, cruising to NZ in March, I found the NZ tours very expensive, more so than Europe and that is a big statement. The Kiwi Tour Operators are making a motza.

Personally? We stay with ship's shorex, safer, (they won't leave you stranded) money back if you cancel or don't get into a port. No money up front on some cruiselines, i.e. Princess.

But for those booking private tours..avoid up front payment, many shonky operators around, who 'fail to appear' or refund if the ship does not get in.

I probably should not say this and might get 'flamed'.... but some pax who organise large private shorex have a 'motivator,' a freebie or two for them, true, it happens.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway, many would differ.

Edited by NSWP

On Celebrity Solstice, cruising to NZ in March, I found the NZ tours very expensive, more so than Europe and that is a big statement. The Kiwi Tour Operators are making a motza.

Personally? We stay with ship's shorex, safer, (they won't leave you stranded) money back if you cancel or don't get into a port. No money up front on some cruiselines, i.e. Princess.

But for those booking private tours..avoid up front payment, many shonky operators around, who 'fail to appear' or refund if the ship does not get in.

I probably should not say this and might get 'flamed'.... but some pax who organise large private shorex have a 'motivator,' a freebie or two for them, true, it happens.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway, many would differ.

No flaming just saying.. Soltice in Nov this year..Taireri Railway Dunedin ships tour $197 USD (don't know what exchange rate the ship was using), booking on pier with NZ tourism $113 NZD, ships tour pickup at wharf train up and back small boxed lunch back to pier, our tour picked up a wharf bus to see train station bus through fantastic scenery to top of gorge, train back through gorge great fresh food from buffet $10 NZD with coffee, town tour and dropped back at wharf...lots of dollars in my pocket! Our penguin tour in Akoroa booked on internet was on $65 NZD pick up at pier return to pier..don't think that is exhorbitant..ships tours are generally a 100% markup..that's why I go private most places.

Sue

No flaming just saying.. Soltice in Nov this year..Taireri Railway Dunedin ships tour $197 USD (don't know what exchange rate the ship was using), booking on pier with NZ tourism $113 NZD, ships tour pickup at wharf train up and back small boxed lunch back to pier, our tour picked up a wharf bus to see train station bus through fantastic scenery to top of gorge, train back through gorge great fresh food from buffet $10 NZD with coffee, town tour and dropped back at wharf...lots of dollars in my pocket! Our penguin tour in Akoroa booked on internet was on $65 NZD pick up at pier return to pier..don't think that is exhorbitant..ships tours are generally a 100% markup..that's why I go private most places.

Sue

Fair comment Sue, but in some places the ship's tour offices book out all the tour operators and associated transport, i.e. sometimes the trains and all the buses in town. Thus leaving no options for those who want to book shorex privately.

Edited by NSWP

Fair comment Sue, but in some places the ship's tour offices book out all the tour operators and associated transport, i.e. sometimes the trains and all the buses in town. Thus leaving no options for those who want to book shorex privately.

That's the great thing about forums like this isn't it Les. We will always be able find someone who knows the inside story. The ship had booked out one train in Dunedin but there is more than one..hence our tour...according to the volunteers aboard the train they reckon its the best way to do it..ie bus up train down..but either way its a great trip I got some fantastic photos. I always want to do more for less so am keen to learn from others when I go to a new port. CC motto should be "we're here to help".

I wish the Aussie tourism people would learn from our Kiwi cousins.

Sue

We went to NZ with Hal a few years ago and found the price of their excursions ridiculous.Maybe they`re a bit more reasonable now.

Gardens are my thing and I organised a garden tour in Picton with the other couple we were travelling with. I gave the local company a list of gardens I wanted to see and they organised the tour for me.

One of the gardens was part of a HAL tour and the owner told us she was getting just a few dollars per head. (It included morning tea and sheep) for something that was priced in the 100s

I prefer to put my money in the pockets of people doing the work for me, rather than the cruiselines.

I did go to the Cadbury's factory once-- I actually died on that tour !! :) -- of boredom!!!!

Because of OH&S, you basically get to see a lot of posters on walls - and then, of course, the chocolate shop. If anybody doesn't already know, you can buy Cadbury's chocolate in supermarkets .

Barry

We had our kids with us so it was entertaining and enjoyable.:D

I now have very mixed thoughts about private tours. We have done some really great ones (2 days in St Petersburg certainly comes to mind) - and we have witnessed (via their blogs) other people also having great private tours.

BUT -- we have cruised enough now to know that we don't ever really know what time we will arrive or depart in ports. Maybe it is not a problem for arrival - as perhaps the tour operator will realise the ship is late and plan accordingly -- but the number of ports we have had an "all aboard" time which did not equate with what we were expecting or even equate with the published departure times for the port, it has become a bit of a worry for us. Another thing to understand is that a number of cruiselines seem to "hide" their times in port - until AFTER you have booked, after which they do give definite times (which they then don't necessarily stick to -- it's all in the cruise contract fine print :) )

We have never had a problem as such -- but then again I have never been run over by a car, but I strongly realize the dangers of walking across the road.

As I said -- mixed thoughts about this -- and we now tend to think VERY carefully about what we will do in a port, and pay the big bikkies if we think it necessary.

Barry

Yes, you really need to pick and choose when and where you go private tours. Also need to be very aware of how situations and times can change when cruising and make sure that your private tour is kept up to date with these changes.:D

That's the great thing about forums like this isn't it Les. We will always be able find someone who knows the inside story. The ship had booked out one train in Dunedin but there is more than one..hence our tour...according to the volunteers aboard the train they reckon its the best way to do it..ie bus up train down..but either way its a great trip I got some fantastic photos. I always want to do more for less so am keen to learn from others when I go to a new port. CC motto should be "we're here to help".

I wish the Aussie tourism people would learn from our Kiwi cousins.

Sue

So true Sue, I agree and even when someone has a differing opinion, it can help to clarify a possible pit fall /problem. :D

Sue

We also did this last year for $89 AUD plus $5 AUD for bus pick up at wharf from Taieri Gorge Railways site. For an extra $20 AUD could have a tour on the way back to the ship, although we walked from the station to the CBD and eventually caught the shuttle bus back. Princess cost was over twice that with the only extras being lunch and a glass of bubbly. Just paid when we got there so there would have been no loss of money if we were late arriving or couldn't call in.

We also did this last year for $89 AUD plus $5 AUD for bus pick up at wharf from Taieri Gorge Railways site. For an extra $20 AUD could have a tour on the way back to the ship, although we walked from the station to the CBD and eventually caught the shuttle bus back. Princess cost was over twice that with the only extras being lunch and a glass of bubbly. Just paid when we got there so there would have been no loss of money if we were late arriving or couldn't call in.

Hi Sandy,

Did you have to pre-book this trip? I want to do this one on our visit to NZ in February.

Hi Sandy,

Did you have to pre-book this trip? I want to do this one on our visit to NZ in February.

Hi, Evon. Yes we booked it by email after looking up the timetable to see what was going where that day. It was so easy. Here is their site.

http://www.taieri.co.nz/

We'd like to do the Palmerston trip if they are doing it the next time we are there. :)

(Note: I checked the price again and it is 89 dollars NZ to Pukerangi which is where we went because we left after the cruise ship train.

Edited by Sandielle

Hi, Evon. Yes we booked it by email after looking up the timetable to see what was going where that day. It was so easy. Here is their site.

http://www.taieri.co.nz/

We'd like to do the Palmerston trip if they are doing it the next time we are there. :)

(Note: I checked the price again and it is 89 dollars NZ to Pukerangi which is where we went because we left after the cruise ship train.

Thanks for that. The way I am reading the timetable, it looks like we can't do the trip on the day we are in Dunedin. We are there on Feb 7th and the only Pukerangi trip I can see is an afternoon one that gets back into Dunedin too late in the afternoon.

Am I reading the timetable correctly, or have I missed something? I hope I have missed something and that the trip is available on Feb 7th. Our last trip to NZ didn't stop in Dunedin and so we couldn't do the train trip that day.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Thanks for that. The way I am reading the timetable, it looks like we can't do the trip on the day we are in Dunedin. We are there on Feb 7th and the only Pukerangi trip I can see is an afternoon one that gets back into Dunedin too late in the afternoon.

Am I reading the timetable correctly, or have I missed something? I hope I have missed something and that the trip is available on Feb 7th. Our last trip to NZ didn't stop in Dunedin and so we couldn't do the train trip that day.

Certainly looks like that. Maybe the ship/s has booked both trains. However I would email them and ask, as maybe the timetable is subject to alteration.

The day we are there it appears there is no train to Palmerston, either, but I will wait a while and then email them. Good luck.