Why do people organise their own tours?

Hi, I have not been on a lot of cruises but it seems from the "roll call" forum I was looking at for the NZ cruise we are going on in December a lot are banding together to organise their own cruise.

I quite enjoyed the RCI tours on my cruising on the Liberty in Europe even though a little pricey.

What have others experiences been doing self organised tours rather than the ship tours?

I think the reason why people like doing their own tours, is the cost. (as most of the time, especially if your doing a cruise to New Zealand, the cost to do the tour is much less then you would pay to do it on the ship, and when you cruise to New Zealand most of the time depending on what you do here, you can get away with doing your own thing here in New Zealand, as most thing you want to do is easy to access my your self.).

Also another reason why people like doing their own tours is sometimes on your own tours depending on what you do, you can spend a bit more time at places then on a ships tours.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

The first answer to your question is - Price.

A second would be that privately-organised tours are usually small groups so you are not waiting around for a large bus-full of people. In some places, the official tours will go to souvenir shops, and that doesn't usually happy with tours that are tailored to suit a small private group.

Agree with the above comments.

Also will add that a private tour will quite often be able to do something which is not even offered by the Ship's tours. This may be as there are so many non-mainstream tours to non-tourist hot spots or the risk / strenous activity is too high for the ship to offer or local knowledge about what is available. It could even be that the tours can only cater to small groups (12 people) which is why the ship does not offer it.:D

We have used both Cruise Line tours, and Privately run tours. Both are good, though the Cruise line ones tend to be more expensive - sometimes twice as expensive. And like another posted said, the private tours tend to be smaller groups which is good.

The advantage to the Cruise line tours is if for whatever reason the tour does not go ahead (like bad weather and cant get into port) you get your money back. If you pre-pay a private tour, chances are you are not going to get your money back.

Last year we organised a private tour for our Grand Cayman port, and I went with a particular company (Moby Dick Tours) because firstly they have a great reputation and secondly, they dont ask for pre-payment. You pay on the day. As it turned out, the weather was perfect that day and we loved our Sting ray tour. It was much nicer being in a smaller group as well - we saw the Cruise line tour group and it was huge! The private tour also were really experienced and very good with all the passengers. They knew the stingrays by name, and really cared about them. The tour wasnt incident free - our boat broke down, and we ended up having to be towed to shore by the Marine Inspector, but even that was a good experience as the tour operator was fantastic.

But in Belize, we went with a Cruise Line tour, and that tour was also fabulous. I would defintiely recommend the Air Boat tour there. We had so much fun! But it was a smaller group as well - had to be as you can only fit so many people on those little boats.

You can also just "wing it". Lots of the cruise ports will have tour operators who will be offering tours to anyone turning up on the day. I know in Noumea, it is like that.

So do your research and go with what interests you the most, and is in your price range. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Cheers,

Rebecca

On the Taieri Gorge Railway in Dunedin. Celebrity wants $199 USD for their excursion, about $243 NZD. I made a reservation direct with the railway for less than half. Here is my confirmation info.

"Hello,

I am happy to confirm your booking on the Taieri Gorge Railway for 2 adults for a return journey to Middlemarch, on the 22nd November 2013

The train departs from Dunedin Railway Station at 9:30am and arrives back into Dunedin at 3:25pm.

The fare is NZ$107.00 per adult. Total cost is NZ$214.00.

There is no need to pay until the day of travel.

Your report time at Dunedin Railway Station is 9:15am please. You can pay and collect your tickets then."

Agree with most of what has been said - price and more alternative tours are a big issue. Be aware however, that if you are on a privately arranged tour and it is running late back to the ship for whatever reason, the ship will not wait. If you are on a ship sponsored tour and it is running late, the ship will wait for you. So if you are on your own organised tour (ie one not organised through the ship) make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship otherwise you may be waving goodbye to them from the dock.:)

Agree with most of what has been said - price and more alternative tours are a big issue. Be aware however, that if you are on a privately arranged tour and it is running late back to the ship for whatever reason, the ship will not wait. If you are on a ship sponsored tour and it is running late, the ship will wait for you. So if you are on your own organised tour (ie one not organised through the ship) make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship otherwise you may be waving goodbye to them from the dock.:)

Good point Joybook, I will also add that if for some reason the ship does not wait for you when on the ship's shorex, than they make arrangements to get you to the next port of call all expenses paid, so there is an element of insurance built into their pricing.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

There are a number of secondary reasons, but the main reason is cost. I'm yet to see an alternative tour that's dearer.

That said, the lead taxi drivers at Casablanca try to get you to do their private tours - sold at the same price as the ship, and make out like it's a bargain! :eek: :D

As has been said:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

I want to add one more -- there is a time to do private tours and a time to do ship's shore tours.

Barry

Generally price does not figure in whether we choose a private or ship's tour (and yes, i know that are generally more expensive). Mostly it is because we want to be in a small group (2 - 4) rather than on a large bus with 50 others with the attendent waiting, waiting, waiting. Also we can book a tour to places that ship's tours do not go to (in Ushuaia we went to visit the penguins where only 80 people are allowed each day and only 20 at a time). Sometimes if we do not have time to research and organise a tour we book a ship excursion for convenience. Also in a port that is very different culturally to Australia or Europe we will book a ship's tour. We did this in Tunis as we were unsure of how to get around.

I want to add one more -- there is a time to do private tours and a time to do ship's shore tours. Barry

I fully agree. It all depends on your port of call , and every port of call is different

Hi, I have not been on a lot of cruises but it seems from the "roll call" forum I was looking at for the NZ cruise we are going on in December a lot are banding together to organise their own cruise.

Roll calls are great for meeting fellow travellers, but dont let the roll call take over your cruise.

I well remember one cruise where I said on the roll call that I had been to the port before so could advise on public transport to use instead of paying the expensive ships shuttle. I overlooked that it was a public holiday when we arrived and all the plans went down the drain. The ships arrangements looked a bargain in comparison.:eek:

Generally price does not figure in whether we choose a private or ship's tour (and yes, i know that are generally more expensive). Mostly it is because we want to be in a small group (2 - 4) rather than on a large bus with 50 others with the attendent waiting, waiting, waiting. Also we can book a tour to places that ship's tours do not go to (in Ushuaia we went to visit the penguins where only 80 people are allowed each day and only 20 at a time). Sometimes if we do not have time to research and organise a tour we book a ship excursion for convenience. Also in a port that is very different culturally to Australia or Europe we will book a ship's tour. We did this in Tunis as we were unsure of how to get around.

Great advice, we are also booked for the private tour of Martillo Island near Ushuaia, as the ship does not offer this excursion. Sometimes we go private (organised by ourselves or someone on cc), sometimes we use the ships tour and sometimes we free time the port by just going ashore, having a look around and possibly just doing something on the spur of the moment.:D

<snip> and sometimes we free time the port by just going ashore, having a look around and possibly just doing something on the spur of the moment.:D

Likewise - having a nice lunch is always a good idea. In Portofino, Sette, Montevideo we have had fantastic lunches in local restaurants (and sure there are others just not thinking well). A great way to embrace the local culture!

Edited by Aussieflyer

On the Taieri Gorge Railway in Dunedin. Celebrity wants $199 USD for their excursion, about $243 NZD. I made a reservation direct with the railway for less than half. Here is my confirmation info.

We did the same on our NZ cruise, but it worked out an even better deal for us as our 2 kids were free! I think the cruise line wanted about $130 each for them. We did miss out on the 3 course lunch, or what ever it was they had, but we were very happy with the snacks we bought on the train,

"Hello,

I am happy to confirm your booking on the Taieri Gorge Railway for 2 adults for a return journey to Middlemarch, on the 22nd November 2013

The train departs from Dunedin Railway Station at 9:30am and arrives back into Dunedin at 3:25pm.

The fare is NZ$107.00 per adult. Total cost is NZ$214.00.

There is no need to pay until the day of travel.

Your report time at Dunedin Railway Station is 9:15am please. You can pay and collect your tickets then."

I'm not sure if this happens all the time but when we were in Dunedin in January the train actually stopped to pickup passengers at the dock in Port Chalmers right next to the ship. Of course even if this perk is only available to people on ship tours it's still an expensive perk.

Yep, if there is any problem with timing we always go with the ship tours. The extra cost can be considered as insurance.

Other than that we always book our own tours and sometimes we can even book with exactly the same tour company that runs the ship excursions but at a fraction of the cost.

We did the same on our NZ cruise, but it worked out an even better deal for us as our 2 kids were free! I think the cruise line wanted about $130 each for them. We did miss out on the 3 course lunch, or what ever it was they had, but we were very happy with the snacks we bought on the train,

Children are the most disadvantaged by ship tours. Cruiseline markups for children are often greater than those of adults! Yet normally they've already gotten the adults booked.

Thanks for the replies to my post everyone. We are doing the Celebrity Solstice NZ cruise the 28th November this year. The boat stops Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga and Aukland.

There are some issues with booking your own tour from what I have read on some forum threads. For instance the Tranz Alpine train journey from Akaroa port I have heard the ship works in with the train to get you back on time whereas if you do it yourself you may not get back. At $367 for the day it seems a lot for a days train trip!! Wonder how much if you booked yourself?

Also there is an option for an overnight tour to Queenstown and accommodation for $500, quite pricey but you would have to do it through the ship to syncrhonise everything.

Thanks for the replies to my post everyone. We are doing the Celebrity Solstice NZ cruise the 28th November this year. The boat stops Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga and Aukland.

There are some issues with booking your own tour from what I have read on some forum threads. For instance the Tranz Alpine train journey from Akaroa port I have heard the ship works in with the train to get you back on time whereas if you do it yourself you may not get back. At $367 for the day it seems a lot for a days train trip!! Wonder how much if you booked yourself?

Also there is an option for an overnight tour to Queenstown and accommodation for $500, quite pricey but you would have to do it through the ship to syncrhonise everything.

I am puzzled how timing may be difficult if you are on the same train, however, there are definitely some advantages with doing the ship's tour and one is peace of mind.:D

I am puzzled how timing may be difficult if you are on the same train, however, there are definitely some advantages with doing the ship's tour and one is peace of mind.:D

The reference to timing is because the train leaves Chistchurch before anyone from the ship could tender ashore in Akaroa and get there on time. They actually have reserved carriages set aside and the train waits at a staion along the way while the bus whisks the passengers from Akaroa to the train stop. The bus then heads up into the Alps and meets everyone again at Arthurs Pass to bring them back with sightseeing on the way.

You could organise it yourself but you would need to book a vehicle and driver for the day, and with all the driving and distance involved it would probably be a lot more than the ship.....it would certainly be a lot more hassle .

The reference to timing is because the train leaves Chistchurch before anyone from the ship could tender ashore in Akaroa and get there on time. They actually have reserved carriages set aside and the train waits at a staion along the way while the bus whisks the passengers from Akaroa to the train stop. The bus then heads up into the Alps and meets everyone again at Arthurs Pass to bring them back with sightseeing on the way.

You could organise it yourself but you would need to book a vehicle and driver for the day, and with all the driving and distance involved it would probably be a lot more than the ship.....it would certainly be a lot more hassle .

Sorry, I get it now, it is slightly more complicated. I am not sure what is at Akaroa but perhaps a hire car, to drive up and back may give people a bit of the beautiful scenery of that Trans Alpine pass. :D

The least expensive TranzAlpine Express is $128 NZ each way, but you wouldn't have time to do it on a port call: http://www.kiwirailscenic.co.nz/

The overnight Queenstown excursion on Celebrity is $575 pp, and I think it's pretty well priced for the transportation, meals, hotel, and sightseeing for 2 days. However, $1,150 is still a lot of money for a couple, and you won't see much of Dunedin.

I booked mostly private tours for our upcoming Australia/NZ cruise in January, as well as ship tours in Sydney (Blue Mountains on the day we sail) and Bay of Islands (Waitangi Treaty Grounds & Pioneer Settlement). We will have a DIY day in Wellington. I could've booked both shore excursions independently, but preferred the timing of the ship's tours.

and you won't see much of Dunedin.

Dunedin is "OK" -- but it is still just another city in many respects. You will see more of NZ in the country than in any of their cities (IMO)

Barry

Dunedin is "OK" -- but it is still just another city in many respects. You will see more of NZ in the country than in any of their cities (IMO)

Barry

What about Speight's Brewery and the Cadbury factory, both can't be missed venues.:D