Why do people organise their own tours?

We have done some good ships tours on P&O UK and Cunard ships, in places far from Australia. They have always seemed to be better value to me than the ones that are pushed in "Aussie" waters - the very worst value for money ones being at Norfolk Island.

BUT -- we have been unfortunate to also have a number of CC" roll calls" which were "dead". It is very difficult to organise a private tour or link up with somebody else's private tour in a dead Roll Call :(

Barry

Just looking at your cruises to do and I see that you have the Eastern Mediterranean down - I did this in September on Rhapsody of the seas and it was one of the best itineraries ever!

Thanks for the information. We will start looking for possible itineraries for 2014 soon. So many places, so little time (or more to the point money!!!!)

We have done some good ships tours on P&O UK and Cunard ships, in places far from Australia. They have always seemed to be better value to me than the ones that are pushed in "Aussie" waters - the very worst value for money ones being at Norfolk Island.

BUT -- we have been unfortunate to also have a number of CC" roll calls" which were "dead". It is very difficult to organise a private tour or link up with somebody else's private tour in a dead Roll Call :(

Barry

Yes, it really leaves all the private tour planning to yourself when their is no-one else on the Rollcall.

Thanks for the information. We will start looking for possible itineraries for 2014 soon. So many places, so little time (or more to the point money!!!!)

And with it not being the most stable of economy in Canberra at the moment with the current job climate and 1996 still fresh in everyone's memory.:(

And with it not being the most stable of economy in Canberra at the moment with the current job climate and 1996 still fresh in everyone's memory.:(

Yep, for those of us who have been on Canberra a long time, we can remember. But I'm of an age where I think ***** it, spend the money while I can.

Having just (last week in fact) moved house (downsize again to apartment) it probably should be time to be a little more sensible in spending but ......

I just love to cruise - that's the problem :-)

Yep, for those of us who have been on Canberra a long time, we can remember. But I'm of an age where I think ***** it, spend the money while I can.

Having just (last week in fact) moved house (downsize again to apartment) it probably should be time to be a little more sensible in spending but ......

I just love to cruise - that's the problem :-)

Yes, we are addicts as well. :D

Quick example from the Soltice...we could have done the ships tour on the train to Taieri Gorge $197 USD! Pick up from ship/small lunch glass of champagne OR booked online..picked up from ship, bused to top of Gorge great scenery, boarded train, lovely fresh sandwich $6 NZ Great coffee $4 NZ...enjoyed historic train and great scenery $113 NZD delivered back to ship and balance of dollars still in my pocket. Dd a great private tour in Akaroa too...great value at $65 NZD.

Sue

Quick example from the Soltice...we could have done the ships tour on the train to Taieri Gorge $197 USD! Pick up from ship/small lunch glass of champagne OR booked online..picked up from ship, bused to top of Gorge great scenery, boarded train, lovely fresh sandwich $6 NZ Great coffee $4 NZ...enjoyed historic train and great scenery $113 NZD delivered back to ship and balance of dollars still in my pocket. Dd a great private tour in Akaroa too...great value at $65 NZD.

Sue

Good result in being much cheaper for you.:D

Sue

We did the train a few years ago and it was great. Last time we were in Akaroa we just walked around the town so would like to do something different. What private tour did you do?

Jenny

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Saw an example of someone who did their own thing in Vila a few days go, and possibly forgot all aboard was 2:00pm for a sail away at 2:30 pm.. Captain waited till 3:10pm until they left the dock.

The blast on the ships horn had the people running down the street, only to see the ship keep going.

They made it to Noumea and rejoined the plane, but it is an example of what can happen.

Saw an example of someone who did their own thing in Vila a few days go, and possibly forgot all aboard was 2:00pm for a sail away at 2:30 pm.. Captain waited till 3:10pm until they left the dock.

The blast on the ships horn had the people running down the street, only to see the ship keep going.

They made it to Noumea and rejoined the plane, but it is an example of what can happen.

Yes, very unorganised or distracted. One tip is to always synchronise your watch to the Ship's time (mainly applicable for time zone changes).:D

I think that reflects lack of organisation more than doing your own thing. They'd probably be late for the ships excursion too. Which is why I don't like travelling in large groups on excursions.

At least with the ship's tour the ship will wait or get you to the next port - expenses paid.:D

Maybe they didn't bother checking the 'all aboard' time and thought they had all day. What a rude shock for them.

Maybe they didn't bother checking the 'all aboard' time and thought they had all day. What a rude shock for them.

...or perhaps a liquid lunch..

Not good in tropical heat..:D:D

It can also work the other way. We did our own thing in Melbourne once and allowed plenty of time to get back to the ship However we struck traffic gridlock around the port area and the taxi driver suggested we get out and walk the last leg so we could make it on time. We ended up running to the ship and boarded with 1 minute to spare, only to hear an announcement that the ships tour busses were held up as well, so we had to wait for them to arrive.:D

...or perhaps a liquid lunch..

Not good in tropical heat..:D:D

It can also work the other way. We did our own thing in Melbourne once and allowed plenty of time to get back to the ship However we struck traffic gridlock around the port area and the taxi driver suggested we get out and walk the last leg so we could make it on time. We ended up running to the ship and boarded with 1 minute to spare, only to hear an announcement that the ships tour busses were held up as well, so we had to wait for them to arrive.:D

One time our bus was stuck in traffic and was running late (not desparately late but it was cutting it fine) but as we were in front of two ships' tour buses we didn't need to panic as we would still arrive before them.:D

It is good to do your own thing in a lot of the ports, but on our upcoming cruise we have decided to do the ships tour for Suva as we have heard you do not want to be left behind there:eek: The ships version of the tour is about $60 more each than the privately booked tour, but well worth it. Its the Jewel of Fiji Tour. :D

It is good to do your own thing in a lot of the ports, but on our upcoming cruise we have decided to do the ships tour for Suva as we have heard you do not want to be left behind there:eek: The ships version of the tour is about $60 more each than the privately booked tour, but well worth it. Its the Jewel of Fiji Tour. :D

The Jewel of Fiji is a good tour - we also did it through the ship. I didn't know this tour is available privately.

The Jewel of Fiji is a good tour - we also did it through the ship. I didn't know this tour is available privately.

Yes they do, but because they pick up & drop off from all the hotels it doesnt get back until 6pm, the ship sails at 5pm just a bit of a problem. Has great reviews on Trip Adviser. :D

Yes they do, but because they pick up & drop off from all the hotels it doesnt get back until 6pm, the ship sails at 5pm just a bit of a problem. Has great reviews on Trip Adviser. :D

Timing issues are generally a problem when trying to organise private tours, unless you can book the whole tour (with CC rollcall members) the company seems reluctant to fit into a changed schedule to suit the ship.:D

• 2 weeks later...

All

I have the NZ trip coming up, I choose some of the princess day trips and some through Viator , Basically I made a choice based on what I thought would be tight or where I felt there was plenty of time.

I did a similar thing on my June Ruby princess Cruise , some through Princess and some through Viator all went smooth and worked great!!

Feel free to message me if you have any questions

John:D

What about Speight's Brewery and the Cadbury factory, both can't be missed venues.:D

I did go to the Cadbury's factory once-- I actually died on that tour !! :) -- of boredom!!!!

Because of OH&S, you basically get to see a lot of posters on walls - and then, of course, the chocolate shop. If anybody doesn't already know, you can buy Cadbury's chocolate in supermarkets .

Barry

I now have very mixed thoughts about private tours. We have done some really great ones (2 days in St Petersburg certainly comes to mind) - and we have witnessed (via their blogs) other people also having great private tours.

BUT -- we have cruised enough now to know that we don't ever really know what time we will arrive or depart in ports. Maybe it is not a problem for arrival - as perhaps the tour operator will realise the ship is late and plan accordingly -- but the number of ports we have had an "all aboard" time which did not equate with what we were expecting or even equate with the published departure times for the port, it has become a bit of a worry for us. Another thing to understand is that a number of cruiselines seem to "hide" their times in port - until AFTER you have booked, after which they do give definite times (which they then don't necessarily stick to -- it's all in the cruise contract fine print :) )

We have never had a problem as such -- but then again I have never been run over by a car, but I strongly realize the dangers of walking across the road.

As I said -- mixed thoughts about this -- and we now tend to think VERY carefully about what we will do in a port, and pay the big bikkies if we think it necessary.

Barry

NZ is one place where I would never do a ships tour...why...because they have a fantastic tourism setup at every port there is a NZ tourism site tent where you can book on the day or shuttle into the I Site where they have scheduled tours.

You can see the same things or more interesting things in smaller groups (which usually means you see more and there are less delays loading and unloading buses) and they do to get you back to the ship in plenty of time. NZ has a busy cruise ship schedule they are well used to the needs of passengers.

Last trip we did a mixture of booking on line and private arrangements they were all excellent.

Sue