Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

We once bought a wine package.

When they showed us the list from which we could choose, we immediately cancelled the wine package.

We looked at both Navigator and Admiral. Perhaps the list changes but at the time we decided to try it, there was not a single wine we wanted.

Hal gave us a 3 bottle Admiral a few cruises ago and there was just one decent wine on the list "Wild Horse" cab, but we perfer drinking better wines on vacation

Just curious, has anyone heard back from Holland after emailing them? I sent one yesterday to the email of the president and noticed someone on here received a confirmation to theirs. I did not receive anything....nothing. I noticed on Facebook that Holland America is not responding to complaints of new wine policy.

Let me know if you have heard back from Holland.

The extra wine money has to come from somewhere!

And you will take it from the hard working overworked staff....Why not save an extra $80.50 (7days gratuities @ $11.50) and take it from your own wallet ! Why punish the staff who does not deserve it and need the money for their family. This is a very inconsiderate way of thinking.

I just sent a letter regarding the wine allowance. I told them if it isn't changed back immediately, I will never pay the service charge again. I'll buy wine with the tip money.

Please don't hurt the hard working crew. They are not responsible for the policy change and not paying the service charge doesn't affect HAL at all, only the crew.

If you want to spend your money somewhere where it may have an effect on HAL, consider not taking HAL sponsored shore exs. That hurts the tour operators as well, but benefits the ones you do book with.

Regards

John

We're taking my mother-in-law on her first (and likely only) cruise in September. I've always wanted to call her a mule; now I have the perfect opportunity!!

Actually, I like her a lot, but the idea still amuses me.

LOL: Taking my DMIL on her second cruise late August. If I called her a mule, she'd club me :D .

Regards

John

Next idea: Folks who don't want to bring wine on can act as "mules" for the rest of you. I'll be interested to see what the going rate is LOL

Hmmm? At first I volunteered to do it for free and just be a nice guy, but you know, you have a good idea! How about a one glass surcharge of the wine muled (a new verb?) onboard :D.

Just kidding, still willing to do it for free.

Regards

John

I just sent a letter regarding the wine allowance. I told them if it isn't changed back immediately, I will never pay the service charge again. I'll buy wine with the tip money.

NO - don't do that please. As much as I object to this - IF we sail HAL, I won't rip off the hard working crew. That's just not fair:(

Edited by kazu

Maybe they'll put a bronze statue of you outside of HAL Headquarters.

I sent an email through the HAL website right after I read the original post here (http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Main.action)

I just received a phone call from my personal cruise consultant. I've actually never booked with her as we deal with a travel agent, but we have had a few conversations prior to this. Because of our prior connection, my email was forwarded to her.

She started the phone call by expressing her utter surprise and frustration with Holland America about the entire matter. Just back from a vacation, she was quite vocal on how stupid she thinks the whole decision is. Yesterday she was singing the praises of her company's wine policy to friends that were considering a cruise. There's no way this woman was acting! I was calmer than she was about the situation.....

Her recommendation was to send our emails to:

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

I know you wouldn't do it but its a good way to scare the pants off Seattle!

Somehow I get the feeling that Seattle isn't scared of anything. You don't take back a years old policy that people are expecting on no notice, if you are afraid of the repercussion. Let's face it---they just don't care. They were slick.....otherwise, they would have lost revenue at final payment, if people knew ahead of time. The bean counters figured this was a more lucrative way of implementing the new policy.

Jade, I put the bold in your post.. I think you ought to read their policy again in the post you quoted..It clearly states in the first paragraph, which you quote in your post, that Psgrs are limited to two bottles on embarkation..

cheers..Betty

That is not Azamara's current policy. That was the old policy before they became more inclusive with (non-premium) wines and other alcoholic beverages and soft drinks included.

Edited by Jade13

No unfortunately not. Hal probably figured out the percentages and then changed the policy. They would know better .

Good question.why not shoot them an email?

I don't care either way so no email to be sent.

But what I find interesting is the speculation on these board about what "some", "all" or "most" people do. ;)

Couple that with the people that are quick to respond with how much/little the spend on the onboard accounts when some topics come up. :D

Edited by Boytjie

Right, but that is not the recipe alot of restaurants are using here in CA. Its wine, vodka, simple syrup and fruit. Sometimes flavored vodka.

Its because they are making it by the glass. Its essentially a mixed drink.

I prefer either homemade sangria or bottled versus what most restaurants are touting as "sangria"...

Either way, not one or the other is on a HAL menu.

Www.quintllc.com best ive ever had.

To me personally, bottled sangria sounds wrong; I think it needs to be recently made, with real fruit etc. :D

Jade, I put the bold in your post.. I think you ought to read their policy again in the post you quoted..It clearly states in the first paragraph, which you quote in your post, that Psgrs are limited to two bottles on embarkation..

cheers..Betty

It was Storyladys Post that states 2 bottles. This quote is from Cruise Critic and it has not been updated:( Jade13 did not quote this post:confused:

Unless Cruise Critic hasn't updated Azamara's Wine Policy it appears to be similar to HAL's.

Azamara's Wine Policy as posted on CC.

"Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers can bring two bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, there is a $10 corkage fee per bottle.

Purchasing liquor in port: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call will be stored by the ship and delivered to passengers' cabins on the last day of the sailing.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from Azamara's onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to passenger cabins on the sailing's last day. "

Here is the actual policy

From Azamara's website http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/after-booking/helpful-information/guest-conduct-policy

Corkage Policy

Azamara Club Cruises® offers a wide selection of international liquors, beer and fine wines onboard. You may bring your own favorite liquor, beer or wine for private consumption in your suite or stateroom. If you wish to consume your liquor, beer or wine in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle is subject to a corkage fee of $10.

If you are given a bottle of wine that was purchased from Azamara's Bon Voyage Gift selection, then no corkage fee will apply. If you are given a bottle of wine from an outside vendor and/or travel professional, and the bottle was not purchased through Azamara's Bon Voyage selection, then a $10 corkage fee will apply if the wine is consumed in the dining room or other public area. All corkage fees will be added to your onboard account.

Alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Alcohol will not be delivered to any guest under the age of 21.

I sent an email through the HAL website right after I read the original post here (http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Main.action)

I just received a phone call from my personal cruise consultant. I've actually never booked with her as we deal with a travel agent, but we have had a few conversations prior to this. Because of our prior connection, my email was forwarded to her.

She started the phone call by expressing her utter surprise and frustration with Holland America about the entire matter. Just back from a vacation, she was quite vocal on how stupid she thinks the whole decision is. Yesterday she was singing the praises of her company's wine policy to friends that were considering a cruise. There's no way this woman was acting! I was calmer than she was about the situation.....

Her recommendation was to send our emails to:

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

if you wish to add him to the email dist

gbernhoft@hollandamerica.com