Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I just sent a letter regarding the wine allowance. I told them if it isn't changed back immediately, I will never pay the service charge again. I'll buy wine with the tip money.

I'll make you a deal. If we're ever on the same cruise together leave the service charge on for the workers. I'll buy your wine for you...Jeez...Let's take it out on the crew. Brilliant!!!!!

Here is a list of the drinks that is included on Azamara.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

When we were on Azamara only the wine, soft drinks, bottle water, coffee, teas etc wee included. Now there is a lot more. My DH liked the wines and they keep pouring until you said stop!

I spoke to HAL in Sydney, Australia yesterday morning as soon as I heard about the change in the wine policy. They had not been told and were as surprised and shocked as I was. So that is another mark against HAL, not only did they arbitrarily introduce this new policy, overnight, but they did not inform their own staff.

Right, but that is not the recipe alot of restaurants are using here in CA. Its wine, vodka, simple syrup and fruit. Sometimes flavored vodka.

Its because they are making it by the glass. Its essentially a mixed drink.

I prefer either homemade sangria or bottled versus what most restaurants are touting as "sangria"...

Either way, not one or the other is on a HAL menu.

Www.quintllc.com best ive ever had.

I am going to have to try Sangria:D Here is the recipe from Qsine on X for White Sangria - What do you think? Is it worth trying at home?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34644078&postcount=22

I sent an email through the HAL website right after I read the original post here (http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Main.action)

Her recommendation was to send our emails to:

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

I understand people's frustration with the new policy but I doubt sending individual emails, threathening cruise cancellations and alike will alter HAL's decision making. What is needed is a large scale peaceful demonstration on a dock where a HAL ship is berthed to attract media attention and arouse the cruise minded public as well. We might even be able to hire the Reverend Al Sharpton to organize such an event.

We once bought a wine package.

When they showed us the list from which we could choose, we immediately cancelled the wine package.

We looked at both Navigator and Admiral. Perhaps the list changes but at the time we decided to try it, there was not a single wine we wanted.

Ditto. Almost all their wines are in the $8 - $10 range and even in the package are way overpriced. Would certainly not mind paying the package price if wines were drinkable. Considering not one we have tried even compares to box quality wines they have a long road of improvement before we ante up. Last slap in the face was going upon on the price of the wine packages with no upgrades in wine quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

if you wish to add him to the email dist

gbernhoft@hollandamerica.com

Thanks, I have forwarded a message to him as well.

Just received an automated response:

Am under the weather so will be out of the office Monday July 29th.

Please contact our Mariner Loyalty Department at mariner_society@hollandamerica.com or 800-547-9139 for assistance in my absence.

Thank you,

Gerald

I just sent a letter regarding the wine allowance. I told them if it isn't changed back immediately, I will never pay the service charge again. I'll buy wine with the tip money.

That has to be one of the most pathetic, knee jerk reactions I have ever heard of. Do you realise how bad it makes you look? The crew are entirely innocent in this whole affair and yet you would make them suffer for it.

I had better stop now before I say something to get me in trouble with the mods. I suspect I am not the only person horrified by your suggestion.

We need to get the person in charge if the beverage departments email.

I will be emailing him if i have to buy a case of everything i want. Idiots.

If i was made to buy a case of all 12 bottles i want, thats a dam 144 bottles and a fortune.

Edited by surfergirle

I would need to know the exact quantity you are looking for. Are you just requesting 1 bottle of each listed? Typically we can only order wine by the case (12 bottles) so I will see what the ship can advise. Also, please list the wines you are mainly interested in. As we work with outside vendors it would be extremely hard to get 12 different quotes.

Thank you and kind regards,

Ship Services Coordinator

Holland America Line

PHONE: 800 541 1576

It would depend on the pricing.

Yes we wanted 1-5 bottles of each all depending on price.

I know it is absolutely not your fault, but HAL should have had a plan in place to accommodate their clients

before dropping something so huge on people that have given them money in good faith under the old policy.

It is not fair to you (makes your job very hard) or me, or anyone else who gave them money in good faith.

Ordering a case is not an option, and if HAL does that to their clients, then I can tell you there will be a lot of unhappy people. Forcing a case upon a client, would be absolutely horrible, considering how this has been rolled out.

I sure do hope something can be worked out, and I really truly appreciate any assistance you can provide me with this matter.

HAL is not prepared for this, it would be best if they had a special order department, for all of the work ahead I cannot imagine you will have to do this for all of the guests who require special orders.

As well, I am understanding that Travel Agents have not been notified yet so I hope there is someone in your department to help you when more find out as I cannot even begin to imagine the work load.

Again, I thank you for all that you do.

Here is a list of the drinks that is included on Azamara.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

When we were on Azamara only the wine, soft drinks, bottle water, coffee, teas etc wee included. Now there is a lot more. My DH liked the wines and they keep pouring until you said stop!

Complimentary Beverages (Azamara)

Who doesn't love extra amenities? We all do. And who doesn't love more options at a great price? We love that, too. That's why Azamara Club Cruises® is expanding inclusive beverage selections and introducing new value-priced beverage packages beginning in spring 2013. Ship bars and dining rooms will offer complimentary select standard spirits, international beers and a changing daily selection of red and white wines by the glass.

SPIRITS

Finlandia vodka Seagram's Seven Crown whisky José Cuervo Especial Silver tequila

Smirnoff vodka Jim Beam bourbon Mount Gay Eclipse Silver rum

Gordon's gin Cutty Sark scotch whisky Peppermint Schnapps

Beefeater gin Crème de Cacao Dark Sloe gin

Anisette Crème de Cacao White Sour Apple Pucker

Apricot Brandy Crème de Cassis Triple Sec

Blackberry Brandy Crème de Menthe Green Vermouth Dry

Blue Curaçao Crème de Menthe White Vermouth Sweet

Butterscotch Schnapps Kirsch

Cherry Brandy Orange Curaçao

Crème de Almond Peach Schnapps

Crème de Banana

COCKTAILS AND LONG DRINKS

Appletini Greyhound Rob Roy

Bay Breeze Kamikaze Rum Runner

Bloody Mary Long Island Iced Tea Salty Dog

Blue Wave Mai Tai Sea Breeze

Cape Cod Manhattan Screwdriver

Caribbean Sunset Margarita Tequila Sunrise

Daiquiri Martini Tom Collins

Gibson Old Fashioned Vodka Stinger

Gimlet Piña Colada Whiskey Sour

Grasshopper Planter's Punch Zentini

BOTTLED BEER

DRAUGHT BEER

Budweiser Beck's

Bud Light

Beck's

BOUTIQUE WINES

Kato Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) Bulletin Place Shiraz (Australia)

Gérard Bertrand Chardonnay Réserve Spéciale (France) Gérard Bertrand Cabernet Sauvignon Réserve Spéciale (France)

Caposaldo Pinot Grigio (Italy) Melini Laborel Chianti Classico (Italy)

Main Street Chardonnay (California) Castle Rock Pinot Noir (California)

Stellenzicht Sauvignon Blanc (South Africa) Stellenzicht Pinotage (South Africa)

Cousiño Macul Riesling Reserva (Chile) Cousiño Macul Cabernet Sauvignon Antiguas Reservas (Chile)

Bogle Chardonnay (California) The Crusher Merlot (California)

Serra da Estrela Albariño (Portugal) JMF Periquita (Portugal)

Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc (California) Cline Zinfandel (California)

Clos Clementine Rosé (France)

* All selections are subject to change and availability.

I am going to have to try Sangria:D Here is the recipe from Qsine on X for White Sangria - What do you think? Is it worth trying at home?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34644078&postcount=22

my first reaction is YUCK - sorry, that's not real white sangria - grapefruit??? what is all this other stuff?

It might be very good - but I'll stick with my authentic one - thanks:D

Hi,

We are both 4 star and want to put my two cents in. As 4 star we get 50% off the wine packages. 7 bottles for $130 incl the 15%. So you can't beat that. However as we are usually have some special days on the ship we have brought several bottles of fine Australian Champagne on board. no we will be limited to 2 and that sucks. There will be a lot of unhappy grand cruisers and WCers very very unhappy and they pay the freight. Friends of ours that are long time HAL WCers took a seabourne cruise and are not ooking back. $ for $ it was the same and oh so much better, so they say.

As far as the selection getting better or the prices going down, dream on. In what world does a business do away with it's competition and lower prices or give better service. If anything the prices will go up. My wife likes the wine she orders so we have no problem. And to be honest $20 is a lot when added to the price of the wine.

There are many shore ex that go to winery's. What happens to that?

However, there is a way around. Those on B2B on the last day the shop lets you take what you buy. And they deliver what they took back to you so on the next one and one after you will have whatever you want. We do several at a time, so I put that in.

That has to be one of the most pathetic, knee jerk reactions I have ever heard of. Do you realise how bad it makes you look? The crew are entirely innocent in this whole affair and yet you would make them suffer for it.

I had better stop now before I say something to get me in trouble with the mods. I suspect I am not the only person horrified by your suggestion.

No, you're not - I cannot believe anyone would go so far as to punish the hardworking crews for the idiocy of upper management - who don't even communicate with anyone beneath their rank.:mad:

Somehow I get the feeling that Seattle isn't scared of anything. You don't take back a years old policy that people are expecting on no notice, if you are afraid of the repercussion. Let's face it---they just don't care. They were slick.....otherwise, they would have lost revenue at final payment, if people knew ahead of time. The bean counters figured this was a more lucrative way of implementing the new policy.

I don't know Linda - there is Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure and a few other places - they might be interested in a very good story.

I sent my email and if they don't value my business that's fine, I'll talk, like you with my wallet. We'll see. If they are really not going to listen to everyone who has faithfully paid (full price and early) then they are really dumb.

They have the oldest fleet in the competitive market. Many people want new ships - they are chasing away the people who liked the older ships and put up with some of the idiosyncrasies that went with them when they balanced if off with other things (including the wine, the crew, etc.).

They should be very afraid - if they become 4th choice among many here - even though we are a small sampling of HAL cruisers - if it's anything like a poll then it will be representative of what a number could do.

Perhaps I'm wrong - I often am - but what they have done is wrong. I called today too and was told that the policy had been in effect for over 8 years and that HAL has no intentions of cancelling it - sad no?

Complimentary Beverages (Azamara)

Who doesn't love extra amenities? We all do. And who doesn't love more options at a great price? We love that, too. That's why Azamara Club Cruises® is expanding inclusive beverage selections and introducing new value-priced beverage packages beginning in spring 2013. Ship bars and dining rooms will offer complimentary select standard spirits, international beers and a changing daily selection of red and white wines by the glass.

SPIRITS

Finlandia vodka Seagram's Seven Crown whisky José Cuervo Especial Silver tequila

Smirnoff vodka Jim Beam bourbon Mount Gay Eclipse Silver rum

Gordon's gin Cutty Sark scotch whisky Peppermint Schnapps

Beefeater gin Crème de Cacao Dark Sloe gin

Anisette Crème de Cacao White Sour Apple Pucker

Apricot Brandy Crème de Cassis Triple Sec

Blackberry Brandy Crème de Menthe Green Vermouth Dry

Blue Curaçao Crème de Menthe White Vermouth Sweet

Butterscotch Schnapps Kirsch

Cherry Brandy Orange Curaçao

Crème de Almond Peach Schnapps

Crème de Banana

COCKTAILS AND LONG DRINKS

Appletini Greyhound Rob Roy

Bay Breeze Kamikaze Rum Runner

Bloody Mary Long Island Iced Tea Salty Dog

Blue Wave Mai Tai Sea Breeze

Cape Cod Manhattan Screwdriver

Caribbean Sunset Margarita Tequila Sunrise

Daiquiri Martini Tom Collins

Gibson Old Fashioned Vodka Stinger

Gimlet Piña Colada Whiskey Sour

Grasshopper Planter's Punch Zentini

BOTTLED BEER

DRAUGHT BEER

Budweiser Beck's

Bud Light

Beck's

BOUTIQUE WINES

Kato Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) Bulletin Place Shiraz (Australia)

Gérard Bertrand Chardonnay Réserve Spéciale (France) Gérard Bertrand Cabernet Sauvignon Réserve Spéciale (France)

Caposaldo Pinot Grigio (Italy) Melini Laborel Chianti Classico (Italy)

Main Street Chardonnay (California) Castle Rock Pinot Noir (California)

Stellenzicht Sauvignon Blanc (South Africa) Stellenzicht Pinotage (South Africa)

Cousiño Macul Riesling Reserva (Chile) Cousiño Macul Cabernet Sauvignon Antiguas Reservas (Chile)

Bogle Chardonnay (California) The Crusher Merlot (California)

Serra da Estrela Albariño (Portugal) JMF Periquita (Portugal)

Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc (California) Cline Zinfandel (California)

Clos Clementine Rosé (France)

* All selections are subject to change and availability.

All I can say is, I am not impressed with Seagrams 7 Crown and Jim Beam Bourbon, even if it is "complimentary". I'd rather pay and get what I want.