Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I am sure that HAL's leadership will look at this and think twice.Only one poster didn't seem to care. Since the policy doesn't become effective until Jan. 2014 there is plenty of time to back off. I think they will be looking at cancelled bookings and whether the frequent cruisers are booking with them after that date. I know I probably won't be. We are 4 star.

Not as far as I am concerned. They should fix this asap. I can keep their cabin tied up for a long time, but if it's not rectified promptly I may well choose another alternative. Come the fall I need to book flights - and I am certainly not booking for my current itinerary if there is a chance we are not doing it.

One potential alternate has a different returning port (actually that part is better) so the flights need to be right. ( I use FF points).

Frankly, I think HAL has taken us for granted and assumed that their loyal followers won't go. I think they have made a huge mistake, a huge assumption and personally, neither DH nor I like to have our business taken for granted.

Sorry, but that's the way we feel.

The problem is the original posting on the website over the weekend didn't indicate that the policy would start with January 2014 sailings. The original posting implied the policy started immediately

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

It did start immediately and said so. Kirk reported it was in place when he was cruising. There was no mistake by HAL - they fully intended to start it immediately:mad:

The problem is the original posting on the website over the weekend didn't indicate that the policy would start with January 2014 sailings. The original posting implied the policy started immediately

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

They put the sign up disallowing wine brought aboard MIDCRUISE on Niew Amsterdam. To me that means it's happening now!!!! Can you imagine the shock for those people who don't look at CC?

We are only a small percentage of HAL cruisers. There is going to be massive shock when the rest find out---onboard. Who reads the fine print, after years and years of being allowed to bring on wine.

I always thought HAL allowed it to drum up business. Lots of people would check out other lines, like the new Solstice ships otherwise. That's what kept me on HAL. Not anymore!! Poor Prinsendam will probably be put out to pasture for sure now. No one will sail her at those exorbitant prices. I was able to rationalize it when I could save bucks by bringing on wine!

I am sure that HAL's leadership will look at this and think twice.Only one poster didn't seem to care. Since the policy doesn't become effective until Jan. 2014 there is plenty of time to back off. I think they will be looking at cancelled bookings and whether the frequent cruisers are booking with them after that date. I know I probably won't be. We are 4 star.

I think HAL done way more damage than they can imagine. Even if they reinstated the old policy as is, the way this was handled has offended so many of their loyal customers, and it became a catalyst for all the dissatisfaction we have felt over the past year or so. And as long as they are standardized with other lines, why not try newer, better maintained ships on those other lines.

It did start immediately and said so. Kirk reported it was in place when he was cruising. There was no mistake by HAL - they fully intended to start it immediately:mad:

Yes it did. And Lisa was told last Friday that it was already in effect. How awful for those people in the middle of a cruise to find out by a notice being posted at the gangway. Real classy, HAL.

....... Poor Prinsendam will probably be put out to pasture for sure now. No one will sail her at those exorbitant prices. I was able to rationalize it when I could save bucks by bringing on wine!

What math did you use - compared to an inclusive line like Regent or Crystal, or compared to savings between the wine you purchased to bring on board versus HAL wine packages?

One of our roll call members on our November TA just cancelled because of this new policy. I hope she informs HAL of the reason. Everyone who does cancel should notify HAL as to exactly why. The delayed implementation date is nothing more than a stop gap measure, and we need to stay on top of this issue. Don't ask me how this should be done. I have no idea.

Travel bear oz & Vines...Of course the facts were checked..When HAL was called several of the Rep's quoted the new policy effective today..It was also posted on the New Amsterdam yesterday..Read Kirk's post where I asked him exactly what the sign said..In addition no one can bring a bottle of wine on board in any port even if they are willing to pay a corkage fee..The "know before you go" on line booklet was changed & the cruise contract was modified to show that the policy was effective immediately..HAL just today stated that the effective date is now Jan 31..The "Know before you go" WEB site was updated late this afternoon EST to show an implementation date of Jan 31, 2014

Obviously you did not read all 43 pages before you started hurling your accusations to posters here!.. Suggest you get your facts straight before judging others!:mad::mad::mad:

Right on, Betty! Thank you.

One of our roll call members on our November TA just cancelled because of this new policy. I hope she informs HAL of the reason. Everyone who does cancel should notify HAL as to exactly why. The delayed implementation date is nothing more than a stop gap measure, and we need to stay on top of this issue. Don't ask me how this should be done. I have no idea.

How about a million man march to Seattle?

What math did you use - compared to an inclusive line like Regent or Crystal, or compared to savings between the wine you purchased to bring on board versus HAL wine packages?

I did a comparison - thanks to the way HAL did this - I used Seabourn though and haven't looked at Crystal yet - Their verandah room is as large if not larger than an SY on Prinsendam. It looks nicer IMO. they are a tad more expensive (but not really that much) But take into account no charge for special coffees, pop, water, drinks, whatever and no gratuity it's pretty much a wash. In fact a couple of cruises were cheaper than Prinsendam. Now if you start comparing to an S - the luxury are winning hands down in pricing.

You know I love the ship - but we are talking about newer ones, fewer passengers than the Prinsendam and comparable prices.

Prinsendam is the most profitable ship in the fleet we were told - so don't tell me they don't make $ on rooms.

If this hadn't happened - I would never have gone looking. It's not just the wine rule - it's the way the whole thing was done.

By the way, who's going to serve this wine that no longer comes aboard? If they don't put on more servers/room service help it's going to be a shambles. People sail this ship expecting a certain level of service.

anyways, I am going to continue to look and wait to see if I get a reply to my two emails.

If others like myself who loyally book the Prinsendam start shopping around then yes, there could be some issues. After all if passengers on this ship are going to be treated as mass market - they are going to start to look - at least I am:D

Edited by kazu

Yes it did. And Lisa was told last Friday that it was already in effect. How awful for those people in the middle of a cruise to find out by a notice being posted at the gangway. Real classy, HAL.

Those boarding a long cruise could well have brought on several bottles or a case of wine. What happens to that? Arrive at the pier with their wine only to be told the policy changed :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: The whole thing was handled so unprofessionally that it's sickening.

I don't think HAL realizes the damage they've done or the nightmare they've created. Truly...the way this would implemented...will make me question anything they do in the future.

When you stop to think about what HAL may be losing by allowing one bottle per person, every 7 days (someone's suggestion), can anyone estimate how much revenue HAL would actually lose by allowing the foregoing policy? For example, one bottle provides about 5 glasses of wine. That is not going to last a couple more than two days, if that. That's five glasses of wine at, say, $8.00 each. Factor in the approximate percentage of the passengers who drink wine, how significant a decrease in revenue would this be to allow guests one bottle every 7 days? I would cheerfully pay $40 more in fares, per week, under that policy. This whole thing is just such a PR nightmare for HAL, and deservedly so. Their treatment of their customers and their total disregard for them may come back to haunt the line.

I agree with other posters who recommend keeping after HAL on this issue.

I did a comparison - thanks to the way HAL did this - I used Seabourn though and haven't looked at Crystal yet - Their verandah room is as large if not larger than an SY on Prinsendam. It looks nicer IMO. they are a tad more expensive (but not really that much) But take into account no charge for special coffees, pop, water, drinks, whatever and no gratuity it's pretty much a wash. In fact a couple of cruises were cheaper than Prinsendam. Now if you start comparing to an S - the luxury are winning hands down in pricing.

You know I love the ship - but we are talking about newer ones, fewer passengers than the Prinsendam and comparable prices.

Prinsendam is the most profitable ship in the fleet we were told - so don't tell me they don't make $ on rooms.

If this hadn't happened - I would never have gone looking. It's not just the wine rule - it's the way the whole thing was done.

By the way, who's going to serve this wine that no longer comes aboard? If they don't put on more servers/room service help it's going to be a shambles. People sail this ship expecting a certain level of service.

anyways, I am going to continue to look and wait to see if I get a reply to my two emails.

If others like myself who loyally book the Prinsendam start shopping around then yes, there could be some issues. After all if passengers on this ship are going to be treated as mass market - they are going to start to look - at least I am:D

Why hesitate...book today. sounds like any easy decision

Have you sailed those lines or Prinsendam??? I don't think so. The standard cabin on Regent is 300 sq. feet. The balcony is 50 sq. ft. That would be comparing it to a superior verandah on Prinsendam. I believe that cabin would be approx. 8500 PP for a 16 night Prinsendam cruise. I still have to pay for shore excursions, air, tips, drinks, special coffee, sodas. Now, you do the math.

Granted, I spend more in the lounges on Prinsendam than on the inexpensive wine I bring aboard. If I have to buy one of HAL's overpriced wine packages just to have a bottle of wine in my cabin---which I probably won't like....what is the point???

Regent compares itself to HAL, using my examples. The only people who do well on Prinsendam are those who sail in an E or lower.

I'm don't cruise often and never on HAL but am in January for a short 7 day cruise. I was planning on bringing only a few bottles on just to appeal to my DH frugal side, but would have been fine purchasing on board. We will be sailing just a few days prior to the policy change so my plan stands.

I'm sure all your communications with HAL helped delay the change. Maybe it will be modified further before Jan. for all those faithful HAL cruisers.

Have you sailed those lines or Prinsendam??? I don't think so. The standard cabin on Regent is 300 sq. feet. The balcony is 50 sq. ft. That would be comparing it to a superior verandah on Prinsendam. I believe that cabin would be approx. 8500 PP for a 16 night Prinsendam cruise. I still have to pay for shore excursions, air, tips, drinks, special coffee, sodas. Now, you do the math.

Granted, I spend more in the lounges on Prinsendam than on the inexpensive wine I bring aboard. If I have to buy one of HAL's overpriced wine packages just to have a bottle of wine in my cabin---which I probably won't like....what is the point???

Regent compares itself to HAL, using my examples. The only people who do well on Prinsendam are those who sail in an E or lower.

If your math works, then do it since it makes up for not being able to take your own wine on board HAL ships.

HAL announced a policy change that is in line with most others in the industry; starting with current sailings, notice given in current cruise documents. Backlash organized against it. Policy is now delayed until Jan 2014. Crisis over in less than one week. Misstep yes, but PR disaster, no.

HAL announced a policy change that is in line with most others in the industry; starting with current sailings, notice given in current cruise documents. Backlash organized against it. Policy is now delayed until Jan 2014. Crisis over in less than one week. Misstep yes, but PR disaster, no.

Yes... I'm sure Mickey Arison is shaking in his boots from 20 people on cruise critic:rolleyes:

Yes... I'm sure Mickey Arison is shaking in his boots from 20 people on cruise critic:rolleyes:

Be sarcastic if you will, but the uproar caused the policy to be at least delayed. So don't be so smug. And how much influence did Arison have over HAL's corporate decision?

Be sarcastic if you will, but the uproar caused the policy to be at least delayed. So don't be so smug. And how much influence did Arison have over HAL's corporate decision?

probably none he's too busy winning championships

Go Heat!:)

If your math works, then do it since it makes up for not being able to take your own wine on board HAL ships.

You don't get it. I was willing to sail on a lesser product to be free to do what I want and not be nit picked. We brought beer on in Oslo---because I wasn't thinking about rules. No one said a thing, as I would have been embarrassed!

If I sail on Prinsendam in an E or less, it's a good deal. After being treated like an adult, I don't want to go back. I don't like the small Princess ships as well, but I could sail them, and pay the corkage. I get a great deal on the internet with them, as their loyalty program is much superior to HAL.

I'm curious if you know when HAL first started letting people bring beverages on? I have a buddy who was a cruise director on HAL in the 70's and he's never heard of such a thing. He also said dining room manager would never let anybody in dining room that wasn't dressed properly.

Just curious

Edited by Wakepatrol