Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I'm curious if you know when HAL first started letting people bring beverages on? I have a buddy who was a cruise director on HAL in the 70's and he's never heard of such a thing. He also said dining room manager would never let anybody in dining room that wasn't dressed properly.

Just curious

It's been a long time - talking to a rep on Saturday (after the new policy came into place) they told me - we've had our wine policy in place for over 8 years and will not be changing it.

LOL:D

It's been there a long time - I think they used to let you bring liquor on board - not sure - I know it changed around 2003 - KK can address that better than I - we were sailing other ships at the time;)

In the early 80's we bought Kahlua in Mexico and Rum in the Caribbean. Walk up the gangway and flash your room key was all that was required to board. They welcomed passengers from other ships in port aboard to visit and offered tours. I remember meeting some nice folks from am RCCL ship and inviting them to lunch on the Noordam 3. They were overwhelmed by the food and the ship and became HAL converts :-)

One guy at the bottom of the gangway was it for security- no one cared if you were bringing booze on. Amazingly never heard of any major problems (other than a stowaway once or twice) on many many cruises.

Edited by frankc98376

Here's the official response from an HAL official received this morning:

"We spoke yesterday about the new Alcohol Policy onboard our ships and today we got an update advising that it is effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. As I did not get a booking number or actual sailing date, I just wanted to let you know about this effective date."

That's good news for anyone sailing through January of 2014. After that . . . who knows?

We have taken cases of wine on board for world cruises because we like particular types (dry French rose, drinkable Champagne that isn't $100, etc) and have used it primarily in

our cabin and to take to parties in others' cabins/suites (as you would at home). John's birthday is during the WC and we take 12 of our friends to dinner in the Pinnacle, provide the wine and happily pay the corkage. We DO NOT take our wine into the dining room and pretend it's ship's wine. We buy a wine package for dinner, have cocktails with friends in the Crow's Nest and often have an after-dinner drink somewhere on the ship. (No we haven't attended AA yet, but after reading what we wrote, maybe we should!). We have never smuggled liquor on board and have no plans to do so.

We ARE curious as to why people are resentful of those who have followed HAL's unlimited wine policy.

On a lighter note I have the recipe for pruno, also known as prison wine, if you all get really disperate. :rolleyes::D Just trying to lighten the mood. :)

it worked--I just laughed out loud!!

I hear that pruno is pretty good--at least as good as some of the overpriced wine HAL tries to get us to choke down!!:D

ML

I just called in to inquire about the policy as I am sailing on HA this coming Sunday. I was told this is all the buzz in the office right now and the new policy will not start taking affect until Jan, 2014.

We're only at 44 pages a mere bag of shells. C'mon you can do better than that,let's drink some espresso and hit 50 pages tonight

woot woot

a little more than halfway to my guess of 83 pages. I can taste that winning glass of wine now...:D

ML

"We spoke yesterday about the new Alcohol Policy onboard our ships and today we got an update advising that it is effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. As I did not get a booking number or actual sailing date, I just wanted to let you know about this effective date."

That's good news for anyone sailing through January of 2014. After that . . . who knows?

We have taken cases of wine on board for world cruises because we like particular types (dry French rose, drinkable Champagne that isn't $100, etc) and have used it primarily in

our cabin and to take to parties in others' cabins/suites (as you would at home). John's birthday is during the WC and we take 12 of our friends to dinner in the Pinnacle, provide the wine and happily pay the corkage. We DO NOT take our wine into the dining room and pretend it's ship's wine. We buy a wine package for dinner, have cocktails with friends in the Crow's Nest and often have an after-dinner drink somewhere on the ship. (No we haven't attended AA yet, but after reading what we wrote, maybe we should!). We have never smuggled liquor on board and have no plans to do so.

We ARE curious as to why people are resentful of those who have followed HAL's unlimited wine policy.

While I have never taken on a case of wine - my comments in reference to that have been in reference to MUCH shorter cruises (like 7 or 14 days).

Even on a 30 day - I didn't slap a luggage tag on a case of wine.

BUT if I was on a World cruise - paying the bucks that you people are and the policy was in place - I would be very tempted. Those cruises are NOT cheap and if HAL is not making money on the rooms booked, I will eat my hat.

In any case - I have no issue with world cruises - but then again, as I have been told by some, because I don't like HAL's wine selections, I am selfish and self centered. so my opinion probably doesn't count;)

by the way - I always enjoy your reviews - hope you keep them ups:D

Just my personal opinion, but I feel that the folks that pay the hefty price tag for a world cruise should be able to bring on whatever quantity of wine they want. If HA wants to impose a corkage fee for those bottles in the dining room, so be it, but 113 days is a very long time at sea, and I believe those lucky cruisers have paid a King's ransom for their passage and are due that perk. I am sure HA is making enough profit on them to justify the rule exception. Just my two cents........

Those boarding a long cruise could well have brought on several bottles or a case of wine. What happens to that? Arrive at the pier with their wine only to be told the policy changed :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: The whole thing was handled so unprofessionally that it's sickening.

I don't think HAL realizes the damage they've done or the nightmare they've created. Truly...the way this would implemented...will make me question anything they do in the future.

Maybe they are counting on the outrage to die down and hoping that people forget by the time January comes round. Then they can say it has been notified and in place since july 2013.

I confess, I didn't go through all the comments so I may be repeating some ideas and I'm not campaigning for votes so here are my thoughts. I'm one of 'those' people who never abused the wine policy, but on a 10 day cruise, in a verandah in the Caribbean, it's nice to have more than one bottle of wine and one bottle of champagne for two people on vacation. I know that HAL is doing what 'everyone else is doing', however in the future I will too. I have asked for a refund of our future cruise deposits because we bought them with the thought that we would be able to do an extended cruise (up to 3 weeks) in Europe and bring wine on board to enjoy. Now that they've decided to be like everyone else, I'm going to explore every cruise line before making any cruise decision. That seems to be the best equation for us. My allegiance is now gone--just like the "old" alcohol policy on HAL. Yes, HAL, it is big a deal.......:(

Edited by thyme2go
wording

I did a comparison - thanks to the way HAL did this - I used Seabourn though and haven't looked at Crystal yet - Their verandah room is as large if not larger than an SY on Prinsendam. It looks nicer IMO. they are a tad more expensive (but not really that much) But take into account no charge for special coffees, pop, water, drinks, whatever and no gratuity it's pretty much a wash. In fact a couple of cruises were cheaper than Prinsendam. Now if you start comparing to an S - the luxury are winning hands down in pricing.

You know I love the ship - but we are talking about newer ones, fewer passengers than the Prinsendam and comparable prices.

Prinsendam is the most profitable ship in the fleet we were told - so don't tell me they don't make $ on rooms.

If this hadn't happened - I would never have gone looking. It's not just the wine rule - it's the way the whole thing was done.

By the way, who's going to serve this wine that no longer comes aboard? If they don't put on more servers/room service help it's going to be a shambles. People sail this ship expecting a certain level of service.

anyways, I am going to continue to look and wait to see if I get a reply to my two emails.

If others like myself who loyally book the Prinsendam start shopping around then yes, there could be some issues. After all if passengers on this ship are going to be treated as mass market - they are going to start to look - at least I am:D

looking for the right itinerary;)

Jacqui Oceania's ships are similar to the Prinsendam..They permit you to bring your own wine on board & their alternative restaurants are free & excellent...

Believe their prices also include air..We've been on them twice..The service was fantastic, just like the Prinsendam & the food was the best of any cruise line we've ever been on..

They don't have walk in closets or bathtubs..I do miss not having formal nights & their Promenade deck is not wrap around..

Cheers...Betty

Jacqui Oceania's ships are similar to the Prinsendam..They permit you to bring your own wine on board & their alternative restaurants are free & excellent...

Believe their prices also include air..We've been on them twice..The service was fantastic, just like the Prinsendam & the food was the best of any cruise line we've ever been on..

They don't have walk in closets or bathtubs..I do miss not having formal nights & their Promenade deck is not wrap around..

Cheers...Betty

Its the bathtubs, retractable roof pool, hot room service breakfast and meals from MDR for room service that kill it for us, or else we would be there no question.

Also not enough sea days, i just can not keep up with something that port intensive :(

Otherwise, looks amazing. But those are deal killers for us :(

Edited by surfergirle

Maybe they are counting on the outrage to die down and hoping that people forget by the time January comes round. Then they can say it has been notified and in place since july 2013.

I certainly hope it doesn't die down. I agree, the original policy was extremely liberal and probably needs to be revamped...but not from one extreme to the other.

I think many of us would be happy with a compromise.

I'm also one who is annoyed at the way HAL handled this debacle from the get go. They must have thought their passengers are pushovers.

I certainly hope it doesn't die down. I agree, the original policy was extremely liberal and probably needs to be revamped...but not from one extreme to the other.

I think many of us would be happy with a compromise.

I'm also one who is annoyed at the way HAL handled this debacle from the get go. They must have thought their passengers are pushovers.

I hope it doesn't die down too. And I would be happy with a compromise such as what Princess allows. Going from having the most liberal to "just one of many" is a slap in the face.

We won't be canceling our European cruise next July because it took quite awhile for us to come up with the logistics for the trip (we're taking a Celebrity cruise and then HAL after that in order to get everything we want in an itinerary). But after that, unless HAL at least compromises on the wine policy, we will definitely be looking around.

We always put HAL first before, but not anymore. We were very happy with our one Celebrity cruise so far. Their service matched HALs', in some ways was even much better.

I have not read all the posts here yet, but this is posted on Facebook by Holland America...

Holland America Line -Thank you to all for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line.

This may help some, but still a drastic change in policy.

We were on a collectors cruise which is really 2 cruises put together. And they gave us back the bottles we bought in Vanuatu before leaving for New Zealand and were able to take them home. We did not use them onboard as we like going to have a drink and not stay in the room all the time. But they did let anyone pick up the bottles in the shop on the last night.

We were on a collectors cruise which is really 2 cruises put together. And they gave us back the bottles we bought in Vanuatu before leaving for New Zealand and were able to take them home. We did not use them onboard as we like going to have a drink and not stay in the room all the time. But they did let anyone pick up the bottles in the shop on the last night.

So they already had this new policy in place? I'm confused!

Its the bathtubs, retractable roof pool, hot room service breakfast and meals from MDR for room service that kill it for us, or else we would be there no question.

Also not enough sea days, i just can not keep up with something that port intensive :(

Otherwise, looks amazing. But those are deal killers for us :(

Check out Seabourn my friend - lots of deals - 6 hot tubs on the ship I looked at (I don't use them but they are there). Walk in closets, bath tubs and room service - I haven't checked out if they have a retractable roof and it's not high priority - but if you are traditionally booking suites or SY's (which I know before you did) it's time to take a look. don't just look at them - look at others. It might be worth a bit of time:) and you probably don't need any special orders:D

I have not read all the posts here yet, but this is posted on Facebook by Holland America...

Holland America Line -Thank you to all for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line.

This may help some, but still a drastic change in policy.

thank you for quoting the very personalized email I received and has been posted on FB. It was nice to know that they valued my business.:rolleyes:

Wow! We're nearing 1000 posts on Lisa's thread...HAL should take notice. :p

don't bet on it;)

Unless they do something very quickly - my faith is gone - they have been inundated on face book, had emails and no one, absolutely no one, has had the courtesy to come on this board and answer questions.

CC will do open questions for any CEO/whomever from the cruise line.

HAL doesn't choose to come on here or even address an open forum.

sorry, if they are taking notice - we don't know about it - but just the same - we will fight.

Of course, if we win, at the rate HAL is going, there will be a LOT of cancellations.

The scariest thing is that once some loyalists go - HAL will have to win them back - and they will be in competition. I'm guessing they will lose out - they don't offer anything for early bookings unlike the competition.

Once people are gone - will they be back? - who knows. They may come running and they may be laughing.

Only time will tell - but I suspect HAL has a made a huge mistake on this one and not only they but the stockholders will pay.