Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I just received the same email with it personalized with our booking number for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

I also answered this asking them to revisit the policy and allow wine to be brought on at ports.

Thought it was pretty good PR to at least here back from them even if the email was very similar to others.

I am hoping now that is enough of us keep up asking to bring wine on board at the various ports we visit, the powers that be will at least reconsider it.:D

excellent. we gave them our names and booking number too. I wonder if they are replying to people who are booked already (and maybe past final payment) first?

It will be interesting to see if others get the same message. And, maybe if we all reply with the same ideas, they will give it some thought? can't hurt.

ML

excellent. we gave them our names and booking number too. I wonder if they are replying to people who are booked already (and maybe past final payment) first?

It will be interesting to see if others get the same message. And, maybe if we all reply with the same ideas, they will give it some thought? can't hurt.

n ML

In my initial email I did not even give our booking number or exact sailing date or cruise destination, just said we were sailing in September 2013, so someone bothered to look it all up and attach the information to our response from HAL. Seems you are right that they are responding first to those that had made final payment. They did certainly check!

Hi all

Just as so many of you, I emailed guest relations and the office of the president when i saw this change. A few minutes ago, I got this response:

Dear <I deleted our real names>,

Thank you for your feedback to our CEO, Mr. Stein Kruse, regarding your concerns with our onboard alcohol policy. Mr. Kruse has asked me to respond on his behalf.

We understand you are unhappy with our revised policy regarding the amount of wine and champagne our guests are allowed to bring on board. As you know, our current policy is quite liberal in this regard and guests are allowed to bring as much wine and champagne as they like for consumption in their stateroom, or in the dining room upon payment of a nominal corkage fee. As of January 31, 2014, this policy will be revised to limit guests to one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult, per sailing. Guests may still order alcohol for use in their stateroom by contacting our Ship Services Department prior to boarding, and we have a variety of wine packages available on all of our sailings. Although this revised policy is common throughout the cruise industry, we do regret the displeasure this change has caused, however, we are pleased that this will not affect your sailing in October on the ms Prinsendam.

Best regards,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor

Office of the President

Not a bad reply, and I am happy they got back to us.

I wrote them a followup email expressing my disappointment with the new very limited policy and encouraged them to reconsider between now and the end of January. As with many of you, I suggested that they implement a policy more like Princess, celebrity and others. I also noted that I would buy more wine onboard if they had better choices at reasonable prices. And, I asked if they could allow us to continue to bring wine onboard from ports since this was an opportunity for us to try local wines that might not be available at home.

Anyone else hear from them today? I think they are finally getting thru the stack of emails they got over the weekend!

ML

That's the exact response I received this afternoon. Wonder if they made note that I have a GTY this time...and put me at the bottom of the pile? LOL!

In my initial email I did not even give our booking number or exact sailing date or cruise destination, just said we were sailing in September 2013, so someone bothered to look it all up and attach the information to our response from HAL. Seems you are right that they are responding first to those that had made final payment. They did certainly check!

I didn't make mention of either of our booked cruises...but they noted our booking number for our October TA on the NA...not our January cruise on the Maasdam...maybe that'll come along in due time....

ML

I have a booking for 30 days - sure guest services answered

as posted, mine was the same as facebook - yah - really personal and yes, we have a cruise booked but it's only 30 days so no biggie to HAL. We are not near final payment.

no answer from the other email and in the meantime they have the audacity to keep emailing me with their crap = but of course no email to let us know of the change in policy. If they can email me with encouragement to book shore excursions (that don't exist), three specials, then where is my email letting me know that my terms of my contract have changed? Yes, I know - apparently I expect too much.

It must be really hard to press that automated button and let people know.

Edited by kazu

Hi all

Just as so many of you, I emailed guest relations and the office of the president when i saw this change. A few minutes ago, I got this response:

Thank you for your feedback to our CEO, Mr. Stein Kruse, regarding your concerns with our onboard alcohol policy. Mr. Kruse has asked me to respond on his behalf.

We understand you are unhappy with our revised policy regarding the amount of wine and champagne our guests are allowed to bring on board. As you know, our current policy is quite liberal in this regard and guests are allowed to bring as much wine and champagne as they like for consumption in their stateroom, or in the dining room upon payment of a nominal corkage fee. As of January 31, 2014, this policy will be revised to limit guests to one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult, per sailing. Guests may still order alcohol for use in their stateroom by contacting our Ship Services Department prior to boarding, and we have a variety of wine packages available on all of our sailings. Although this revised policy is common throughout the cruise industry, we do regret the displeasure this change has caused, however, we are pleased that this will not affect your sailing in October on the ms Prinsendam.

Best regards,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor

Office of the President

I wrote them a followup email expressing my disappointment with the new very limited policy and encouraged them to reconsider between now and the end of January. As with many of you, I suggested that they implement a policy more like Princess, celebrity and others. I also noted that I would buy more wine onboard if they had better choices at reasonable prices. And, I asked if they could allow us to continue to bring wine onboard from ports since this was an opportunity for us to try local wines that might not be available at home.

Anyone else hear from them today? I think they are finally getting thru the stack of emails they got over the weekend!

ML

at least you got an acknowledgement that you were unhappy - when I said mine was the standard FB reply - maybe some people didn't get it so here is the reply I got

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on our new alcohol policy that will go into effect on January 31st 2014, please accept our apologies for any future inconvenience this may cause.

For all current information regarding our updated liquor policy please use the following link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&WT.ac=pnav_FBG_ShipLife# , once the Shipboard Life subject comes up click on Onboard Policies.

Again, we thank you for sharing your thought with us. Our guest?s comments and concerns are important to us. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Through excellence we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences every time.

Kind Regards,

Stephen

I sent a very detailed email - with my booking number, everything with what I thought were very constructive ideas, suggestions and concerns about the lack of notice.

Oh yes, I forgot to say how special and valued I felt when I got this.

Through excellence we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences every time.

so how's that experience for ya? ;) :rolleyes:

Our guest?s comments and concerns are important to us. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

I'd be commenting .... after all, they invited it, right?

ML

I'm booked and well past final payment for my next HAL cruise - in 30 days.

But I did get an email today telling me to book shore excursions.:rolleyes:

I'm booked and well past final payment for my next HAL cruise - in 30 days.

But I did get an email today telling me to book shore excursions.:rolleyes:

yup they are very good at that. In the last three days I have been blanketed with emails from HAL (none of which match what I selected in the specials thing)

I have never received so many emails from HAL,

but... I am a booked client with a reservation - if I had received an email advising me that the policy changed then I might have a whole new attitude on this thing.

Oh and before someone tells me = it's not that hard to hit the automated programmes and hit enter;) I am not a techie - but it's already in the programme. Of course they would have had to spend a few moments to do that. What a difference a few button pushes could have made;)

and you know what? if they had done that and been upfront and forward about all of this - I don't think you would be seeing the concern some of us are expressing.

this is not about just wine - it's about the way it has been done. Who knows what's next.

To this day, I have not had the courtesy of an email telling me that my cruise conditions have changed nor that my FCC conditions have changed.

What a PR nightmare. But maybe there won't be one. who knows?

Not our problem - it's theirs:D

so how's that experience for ya? :rolleyes:

yes I can't tell you how special I felt when I got this and of course no question about the service of excellence:rolleyes::rolleyes: At least pretend you read and say we will look at your suggestion. but it's not my problem - it's theirs:D (that's my new motto):D

I'd be commenting .... after all, they invited it, right?

why bother? I'll just get the same reply - I already sent them a detailed email with ideas to make everyone happy. It was totally ignored -so what's the point - why beat a dead horse? I got the message the first time:rolleyes:

Received the exact same letter with the exception of their noting our September 2013 booking number.

I too responded with a similar answer pointing out the sparse and over priced wine list, the current understaffed MDR and their inability to handle the many request for assistance in perusing the current wine list should their nunbers not be increased.

I also suggested, the allowance of wine brought on board following port visits and the hope that the number of allowed bottles be determined by the cruise length and rather than impose a corkage fee at the table that it be done upon embarkation with a more generous initlal allowance.

They neglect to say anything that isn't on the sparse list will have to be a case...

Hi all

Best regards,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor

Office of the President

ML

I got basically the same reply back from the Ofiice of The President.

Yes, they are replying, but there is no mention as to why they have delayed/back peddled.

It's just a bog standard repy as far as I'm concerned.

It sums up as saying something that could be read along the lines of the following::D

Dear Carnival Corporation Cash Injector,

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our change of policy, however, here at Holland America we do not know what we are doing therefore have decided to delay the change.

Although you may not wish to use Holland America in future, we would still be delighted to welcome you onboard again to enable us to fleece you, in line with our new alcohol policy.

In addition, we also have new and exciting future policy/price changes which you are unaware of to date and will fleece you further, but of course we still look forward to welcoming you (and your wallet) onboard in the future.

Yours with deaf ears,

Ms W. E. Dontgivea

Orifice of The President.

Edited by richarduk

I got basically the same reply back from the Ofiice of The President.

Yes, they are replying, but there is no mention as to why they have delayed/back peddled.

It's just a bog standard repy as far as I'm concerned.

It sums up as saying something that could be read along the lines of the following::D

Dear Carnival Corporation Cash Injector,

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our change of policy, however, here at Holland America we do not know what we are doing therefore have decided to delay the change.

Although you may not wish to use Holland America in future, we would still be delighted to welcome you onboard again to enable us to fleece you, in line with our new alcohol policy.

In addition, we also have new and exciting future policy/price changes which you are unaware of to date and will fleece you further, but of course we still look forward to welcoming you (and your wallet) onboard in the future.

Yours with deaf ears,

Ms W. E. Dontgivea

Orifice of The President.

thanks for my morning laugh:)

Does anyone have a draft email drawn up of the points to be made to HAL regarding revising their wine policy? I was going to mention charging a $15 corkage fee like Princess does...anything else?

Edited by innlady1

Hi All - well, this is one Canadian who really feels special as I got a reply from the "Office of the President." Big Whoop. Same response referencing our October sailing on Maasdam, not responding to any questions or suggestions I offered. Boilerplate letter just inserting relevant sailing I guess.. Although it did say that they hoped I would reconsider my promise to take our cruising dollars elsewhere if this dumb policy remained as is.

Does anyone have a draft email drawn up of the points to be made to HAL regarding revising their wine policy? I was going to mention charging a $15 corkage fee like Princess does...anything else?

Sheila - if you like will send you the one I sent.

Some things in yours would be different of course - but it may give you a starting point:)

Emailing is an effective tool to have your complaints heard. However HAL can handle those easily as it is a conversation only HAL and you see. You would be much more effective utilizing Facebook.

There are 22,000 pax on HAL cruises this week. Possibly 5% of them have heard of Cruise Critic. 95% of them are familiar with FaceBook. FaceBook is where to go to present your ideas.

That will get the company's attention much more than individuals emails. It's out there for everyone to see.

Emailing is an effective tool to have your complaints heard. However HAL can handle those easily as it is a conversation only HAL and you see. You would be much more effective utilizing Facebook.

There are 22,000 pax on HAL cruises this week. Possibly 5% of them have heard of Cruise Critic. 95% of them are familiar with FaceBook. FaceBook is where to go to present your ideas.

That will get the company's attention much more than individuals emails. It's out there for everyone to see.

Yes, but according to their FB rules - it's not the place for complaints but to 'share experiences'. So there's only so much you can do there.

I so agree with this. They don't want that 95% to see our complaints.

I'm noticing that even my friends who aren't on CC have seen my complaints on FB and are taking notice.

Yes, but according to their FB rules - it's not the place for complaints but to 'share experiences'. So there's only so much you can do there.

I have seen many great writers on Cruise Critic. Share your wonderful experience of having a glass of wine from a bottle you purchased in port wherever. Thank HAL for allowing you to enjoy that experience and then express your disappointment that you will no longer be able to do that.

I have seen many great writers on Cruise Critic. Share your wonderful experience of having a glass of wine from a bottle you purchased in port wherever. Thank HAL for allowing you to enjoy that experience and then express your disappointment that you will no longer be able to do that.

Oh great idea!! Thank you!!! I had already posted with the others - but I really, really like this. What a great way to do a positive message and get the message across.

Much thanks!!:D:D

I so agree with this. They don't want that 95% to see our complaints.

I'm noticing that even my friends who aren't on CC have seen my complaints on FB and are taking notice.

Social Media scares the absolute hell out of major corporations. Most if not all major corporations have personnel on staff for the sole purpose of handling social media. Those that don't hire outside firms to handle their social media.

Great idea :D

Oh great idea!! Thank you!!! I had already posted with the others - but I really, really like this. What a great way to do a positive message and get the message across.

Much thanks!!:D:D

Kazu:

I have seen your posts on here many times. You know many more people on CC than I do. A thread needs to be started with this information. You starting a thread with this idea will get much more response than me initiating a thread. The complaints need to be set aside and a plan needs to be developed that HAL may actually listen to. I can assure you negative publicity on FaceBook carries much more weight than CC.