Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Such a controversial topic, couldn't resist chiming in again. Clearly many folks are disappointed like me.

At least it's good they extended the start until Jan 2014. Selfishly, that doesn't help me and my Med cruise in April. I had truly hoped to bring aboard some wines from the wonderful ports we will be stopping in. Guess if I really wanted to we could cancel the cruise over this and look elsewhere. Seeing as we made a conscious choice to pick this trip in the first place, we'll stick with it. We didn't pick it because of the wine policy though it was something we were looking forward to leveraging.

I'm waiting on my TA response to adding explore4 to this booking, that might make me feel a bit better ....

Such a controversial topic, couldn't resist chiming in again. Clearly many folks are disappointed like me.

At least it's good they extended the start until Jan 2014. Selfishly, that doesn't help me and my Med cruise in April. I had truly hoped to bring aboard some wines from the wonderful ports we will be stopping in. Guess if I really wanted to we could cancel the cruise over this and look elsewhere. Seeing as we made a conscious choice to pick this trip in the first place, we'll stick with it. We didn't pick it because of the wine policy though it was something we were looking forward to leveraging.

I'm waiting on my TA response to adding explore4 to this booking, that might make me feel a bit better ....

I am still hoping that they review what they have proposed and revise the new policy to be more in line with what other cruise lines are doing. I would be happy to pay a "consumption fee" for every bottle that I brought on, whether I drink it in my cabin or take it to the MDR, and regardless whether I brought it on in the beginning of the cruise or at a port-of-call. I would like the wine stewards in the dining room not have to worry about charging a corkage fee, so they have more time for serving wine.

Edited by Not-My-Real-Name

Other than Copper and I think only one other ex (or maybe current) HAL employee has posted here so I am not sure why you expect a response here. Some other cruise lines have people that monitor and respond to posts on Cruise Critic - HAL has not been one of them.

There is someone, or several someones under one boardname, who has posted representing HAL in the past.

I can't recall the boardname precisely, but it was something like "HAL PR". It was clearly meant to indicate they were speaking on behalf of the line, and the poster said as much.

That person either is working on a statement, not authorized to make a statement, or maybe on a well-timed vacation.

HAL sadly underestimated the tenacity of their loyal customers..... the very thing that had us hanging in with them in spite of cutbacks, poor maintenance, non flushing toilets and lack of air conditioning... made us tough:D Oh boy, did they ever make a huge mistake. And for those nay-sayers who insisted we were whining.... let's see what the next thing is - perhaps water and soda. And for those nay-sayers who spent the weekend sniping at us for fighting... we got a result. The war is not over but at least we won this battle.

I meant to say also.... never underestimate the power of social media.

And I've often wondered if those who bring on water and sodas drink them around the ship or only in their cabins?

I've just retrieved the Oceania brochure that came in the mail yesterday from the recycle basket. This policy was a BIG deal for us when considering cruise lines.

Stuffing extra cabins into our favorite area on the Vistas and now this. I guess that will about do it for us on HAL. We have a large credit from the Barclays card so I guess we will book something before January and the rest will be memories and anticipation of a new cruise line experience.

And I've often wondered if those who bring on water and sodas drink them around the ship or only in their cabins?

I heard that someone tried to sneak out of their cabin with a Diet Coke. Poor person was thrown overboard :D

Hi all

Just as so many of you, I emailed guest relations and the office of the president when i saw this change. A few minutes ago, I got this response:

Dear <I deleted our real names>,

Thank you for your feedback to our CEO, Mr. Stein Kruse, regarding your concerns with our onboard alcohol policy. Mr. Kruse has asked me to respond on his behalf.

We understand you are unhappy with our revised policy regarding the amount of wine and champagne our guests are allowed to bring on board. As you know, our current policy is quite liberal in this regard and guests are allowed to bring as much wine and champagne as they like for consumption in their stateroom, or in the dining room upon payment of a nominal corkage fee. As of January 31, 2014, this policy will be revised to limit guests to one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult, per sailing. Guests may still order alcohol for use in their stateroom by contacting our Ship Services Department prior to boarding, and we have a variety of wine packages available on all of our sailings. Although this revised policy is common throughout the cruise industry, we do regret the displeasure this change has caused, however, we are pleased that this will not affect your sailing in October on the ms Prinsendam.

Best regards,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor

Office of the President

Not a bad reply, and I am happy they got back to us.

I wrote them a followup email expressing my disappointment with the new very limited policy and encouraged them to reconsider between now and the end of January. As with many of you, I suggested that they implement a policy more like Princess, celebrity and others. I also noted that I would buy more wine onboard if they had better choices at reasonable prices. And, I asked if they could allow us to continue to bring wine onboard from ports since this was an opportunity for us to try local wines that might not be available at home.

Anyone else hear from them today? I think they are finally getting thru the stack of emails they got over the weekend!

ML

Hi all

Just as so many of you, I emailed guest relations and the office of the president when i saw this change. A few minutes ago, I got this response:

Thank you for your feedback to our CEO, Mr. Stein Kruse, regarding your concerns with our onboard alcohol policy. Mr. Kruse has asked me to respond on his behalf.

We understand you are unhappy with our revised policy regarding the amount of wine and champagne our guests are allowed to bring on board. As you know, our current policy is quite liberal in this regard and guests are allowed to bring as much wine and champagne as they like for consumption in their stateroom, or in the dining room upon payment of a nominal corkage fee. As of January 31, 2014, this policy will be revised to limit guests to one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult, per sailing. Guests may still order alcohol for use in their stateroom by contacting our Ship Services Department prior to boarding, and we have a variety of wine packages available on all of our sailings. Although this revised policy is common throughout the cruise industry, we do regret the displeasure this change has caused, however, we are pleased that this will not affect your sailing in October on the ms Prinsendam.

Best regards,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor

Office of the President

I wrote them a followup email expressing my disappointment with the new very limited policy and encouraged them to reconsider between now and the end of January. As with many of you, I suggested that they implement a policy more like Princess, celebrity and others. I also noted that I would buy more wine onboard if they had better choices at reasonable prices. And, I asked if they could allow us to continue to bring wine onboard from ports since this was an opportunity for us to try local wines that might not be available at home.

Anyone else hear from them today? I think they are finally getting thru the stack of emails they got over the weekend!

ML

I have not heard back form this source. I asked specific questions and offered constructive ideas. Maybe their heads are turning - after all, I usually work out of the box:D

I heard back. The letter was pretty personalized since I asked some specific questions and made some specific comments. I also had told then I owned CCL stock - maybe that got more of their attention.

The letter is good enough for me to show to the boarding staff at the port in Amesterdam - when they try to "confiscate" my wine.!

I relied I would be back in touch once I thought through what my suggestions would be on the new policy and how to improve their wine lists.

When you stop to think about what HAL may be losing by allowing one bottle per person, every 7 days (someone's suggestion), can anyone estimate how much revenue HAL would actually lose by allowing the foregoing policy? For example, one bottle provides about 5 glasses of wine. That is not going to last a couple more than two days, if that. That's five glasses of wine at, say, $8.00 each. Factor in the approximate percentage of the passengers who drink wine, how significant a decrease in revenue would this be to allow guests one bottle every 7 days? I would cheerfully pay $40 more in fares, per week, under that policy. This whole thing is just such a PR nightmare for HAL, and deservedly so. Their treatment of their customers and their total disregard for them may come back to haunt the line.

I agree with other posters who recommend keeping after HAL on this issue.

You must be referencing my post on our roll call. I had been away from CC since before the Friday announcement and did not find out about the policy change until my house guests left yesterday. By then HAL had backed off from the "effective immediately" part. I was in shock and my first thought was the inequity of lumping cruises of any length together. My next thought was about our cruise this fall with the wine available at ports of call in the Mediterranean. We will be bringing wine aboard from shore excursions to enjoy in our stateroom before dinner, but what if we were planning our cruise next year as Kazu is?

We typically book a future cruise while on a cruise. I don't know if we will do that this time. There is a lot I like about HAL, but if they are standardized with other cruise lines, why shouldn't we try one of the others?

I'm not certain HAL realizes how much damage they have done. I will be contacting them.

I have not heard back form this source. I asked specific questions and offered constructive ideas. Maybe their heads are turning - after all, I usually work out of the box:D

I haven't heard anything back either, and I sent an email to 3 different sources. My email was definitely constructive, polite and asked questions. Perhaps we've been black-listed due to our facebook campaign.:rolleyes:

I haven't heard anything back either, and I sent an email to 3 different sources. My email was definitely constructive, polite and asked questions. Perhaps we've been black-listed due to our facebook campaign.:rolleyes:

Nope, that isn't it..... I haven't been able to use FB for a number of days, so didn't get a chance to post on HAL's FB page. I haven't heard back from my email, either. I wonder if it is cuz we are all Canadian? ;) :D

Totally agree. Itinerary is what keeps me from going anywhere else. Seriously HAL has one or maybe the best itineraries out there.

Also agree. Once upon a time (and it was not too long ago) we went on HA for many reasons including great cuisine (by cruise line standards), good entertainment, amazing service, and the itineraries. Now, about the only thing that brings us back are the itineraries. But if they continue to slow down their ships and reduce port times this would be another nail in the coffin.

Hank

Hi all

Best regards,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor

Office of the President

ML

I just received the same email with it personalized with our booking number for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

I also answered this asking them to revisit the policy and allow wine to be brought on at ports.

Thought it was pretty good PR to at least here back from them even if the email was very similar to others.

I am hoping now that is enough of us keep up asking to bring wine on board at the various ports we visit, the powers that be will at least reconsider it.:D

Hi all

Best regards,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor

Office of the President

ML

Received the exact same letter with the exception of their noting our September 2013 booking number.

I too responded with a similar answer pointing out the sparse and over priced wine list, the current understaffed MDR and their inability to handle the many request for assistance in perusing the current wine list should their nunbers not be increased.

I also suggested, the allowance of wine brought on board following port visits and the hope that the number of allowed bottles be determined by the cruise length and rather than impose a corkage fee at the table that it be done upon embarkation with a more generous initlal allowance.

Nothing from HAL for me, so there is another vote for the Canadian conspiracy theory! I didn't actually ask a question, so maybe they don't feel the need to reply.

Your comments should at least be acknowledged. Yup, it is anti-Canadian bias at work here :eek: :D

Nothing from HAL for me, so there is another vote for the Canadian conspiracy theory! I didn't actually ask a question, so maybe they don't feel the need to reply.

don't we all feel 'special'. I know I do. He has to have a gazillion minions = not even an automated post that he will be back to you when he can.

anyone wonder why I am getting a bad taste in my mouth. Oops sorry, I guess we Canadians expect too much.

After all we have to guess which FCC is best (US or Cdn) and not allowed to exchange them - see, there's lots of 'bumps' that we had to put up with before but now....

don't hold your breath for a reply - I'm not and resigned to it.

...or maybe they are still mad about the War of 1812

:D :D

most likely and I refuse to whisper - after all if it wasn't for us they wouldn't have a White House would they - LOL:D

sorry couldn't resist.