what to do with passport and belongings while in ocean?

Hi all! This may seem like a silly questions.

My fiance and I booked our honeymoon on the Equinox. What do we do with essential belongings, such as passport and money, while on water excursions?

For instance, if we are doing a water sport or want to go in the ocean how do we keep these items safe?

Is there a 100% water proof bag type item we could buy?

Thank you in advance!

My fiance and I booked our honeymoon on the Equinox. What do we do with essential belongings, such as passport and money, while on water excursions?

For instance, if we are doing a water sport or want to go in the ocean how do we keep these items safe?

Thank you in advance!

Just leave your passports and money that you won't need for the day in your safe onboard the ship.

There are also waterproof neck pouches that you can purchase. An example is: http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375210365&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+neck+pouch

You can use a pouch for any money that you may need for the day. Or better yet, just carry a credit card.

It's usually not necessary to carry your passport on excursions. While there are reasons you might want to, it's not usually mandatory. An excursion where you are snorkelling or diving is a good example. You should be able to leave it locked in your safe onboard ship for safekeeping while you swim.

Wait, so we don't need to bring passport on land? Sorry, I just assumed we would need out passport in some of the ports :o

Just want to make sure because last year on our med. cruise a few ports needed it. As this was on land we just wore security belts.

We will be going to:

Grand Cayman, Belize, Panama, Costa Rica, Cozumel, Colombia

What about our ID? Just put that in the waterproof pouch mentioned above. For instance, on our beach day if we both want to be in water at same time, just get one of those pouches?

Thank you in advance!

Wait, so we don't need to bring passport on land? Sorry, I just assumed we would need out passport in some of the ports :o

Just want to make sure because last year on our med. cruise a few ports needed it. As this was on land we just wore security belts.

We will be going to:

What about our ID? Just put that in the waterproof pouch mentioned above. For instance, on our beach day if we both want to be in water at same time, just get one of those pouches?

We just carry "copies" of our passports while in port. The only time that we have actually needed our actual passports is for exchanging currency. But if you just use an ATM, you don't need your passport.

We will be going to:

Any photo ID is acceptable. Most places don't even ask to see more than your Seapass Card. You can always make a photo copy of your Passport if you wish. Good protection, but not necessary. I've been to all your ports and don't recall ever needing to show my passport. Enjoy your special cruise.

We just carry "copies" of our passports while in port. The only time that we have actually needed our actual passports is for exchanging currency. But if you just use an ATM, you don't need your passport.

Thank you!

Any photo ID is acceptable. Most places don't even ask to see more than your Seapass Card. You can always make a photo copy of your Passport if you wish. Good protection, but not necessary. I've been to all your ports and don't recall ever needing to show my passport. Enjoy your special cruise.

Thank you!

DH carries a waterproof neck pouch as we only take along our ship cards, a few local currency bills to pick up drinks or trinket and one low limit credit card. Look at good sports stores or online for a real waterproof bag. Some get poor reviews. Don't carry your "good"camera. I carry along a beach bag for the lotions, snorkel equip or whatever else for the day.

We have never had any problems onayt least 10 beach cruises. (knock on wood)

But we DO try to "make friends" with someone nearby, usually another cruiser and kind of watch over each other's things. Some beaches have security guards, and some have lockers to rent too. If you go on the individual port threads in the Carib ports of call board, you can research what each island beach has available.

Enjoy!

For sure do not carry your passport onshore. We carry a photocopy AND a photo copy of our medical insurance info whenever we leave the ship. Just in case...

I don't know your itinerary but the only place where you definitely need your passport with you is Dubrovnik.

Immigration officials actually board the shuttle buses to inspect them and sometimes they are not too friendly.

Enjoy your special honeymoon cruise

We will be going to:

We did not need passports at any of those ports.

Our experience has been that at places where we need to take our passports with us, they let us know.

Otherwise we leave them locked in the safe.

If you should need a watertight container and did not bring one with you, they usually have them for sale right on the ships (the kind that can be worn around the neck or attached to a belt).

Double zip-lock bags work too, or sealing an item inside a small zip-lock bag inside one of the waterproof containers, as occasionally some of them may leak a little.

We have never needed our passports in any Caribbean ports but sometimes you need photo ID. We take onto shore, our drivers licenses (which are plastic and are fine getting wet), our ship cards (which are plastic and are fine getting wet), one credit card (which are plastic and are fine getting wet), and the cash we need. We bought one of the little match water proof camping things (small and orange) and roll the cash in there, and then it all goes into my husband's zipper pocket in his swim shorts. He doesn't buy swim shorts without a zipper pocket. Anything else we take is of no value and we leave it on the beach if we head into the water. I have a waterproof Canon camera, which is the only one we take off the boat if there is any chance of going into the water.

For our last trip, me and a friend went snorkeling without my husband, so I actually bought the dry poach mentioned in post #2 and it was great.

Sue

I don't know your itinerary but the only place where you definitely need your passport with you is Dubrovnik.

Immigration officials actually board the shuttle buses to inspect them and sometimes they are not too friendly.

Oddly enough you also need it if you are going on the White Pass railroad in Alaska that goes on into Canada. One of the few times I've ever actually had to show a passport on a cruise, other than coming back in the US.

First.. .Don't take your passport off the ship, this will lower your risk considerably. Take copies of your passports and leave the original on the ship.

When I'm planning to be in the water I put copies of passports, cash and cards in a small waterproof pouch and keep them on my person, Usually in a zippered, snapped or Velcro pocket. This is much easier for the guys than for the girls so delegate this to your fiancé.

Here is a page with several examples of the type of waterproof pouch I use: http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/softcases.html

Have fun!

In the past we purchased some waterproof pouches. My husband's swim trunks also have an inner pocket that is water proof. I believe we placed our credit card, some cash, and ship pass in the pouch and then in his pocket. Since we were cruising Hawaii, we didn't need our passport, but I'm hopeful the cruise line will give us instructions on whether or not we need to carry our passport with us each time we leave the ship.

Just leave your passports and money that you won't need for the day in your safe onboard the ship.

There are also waterproof neck pouches that you can purchase. An example is: http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375210365&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+neck+pouch

You can use a pouch for any money that you may need for the day. Or better yet, just carry a credit card.

I just wanted to say that I agree with everything in the above post - especially the product linked to on Amazon. The Alligator wallet is the only "waterproof" wallet I've ever had (and I've had quite a few) that didn't leak at all even when diving down 15 to 25 feet while snorkeling. It is a great product and inexpensive.

When we go to port in the Caribbean I take ship cards, photo ID (usually drivers license), spending money for the day and one credit card (we travel with 2 or 3). The rest stays in the cruise safe. All of the items I take fit in the Alligator wallet if you wrap the bills around the cards - that's 5 cards including my wife's sea pass and ID card.

Never take your passport to a port. Leave it in the safe. I usually take a good quality baggie in which I put my Sea Pass Card and some cash. This is placed in my Celebrity beach bag along with towels, suntan lotion, etc. The cruise line will tell you if you need to bring an additional form of i.d.-- which is usually a driver's license.

I have a Vacation Vault - works great for keeping your items safe. Many times on an excursion they'll tell you that you can leave your items on the boat, in the van, - I use my V.V. to lock mine in. If you are someplace with loungers - you can lock it to your chair while you are in the water - just realize that the lounger could walk off if left long enough - lol. I've seen too many threads about people's cameras or smart phones being stolen off their chairs while they were just off in the water. I also use mine in the cabin - although we use the in cabin safe - the V.V. is easy to hide and can be locked to the hanging bar in the closet or to the bed itself. Google it.

Just got off a Med cruise on the Equinox (Fabulous!!!) passports were required in port in Venice and were checked upon returning to the ship.

In Europe I carry my passport in a hidden wallet under our clothing. But in the Caribbean we're usually doing water activities and I never take passports on that sort of activity.

I've never been asked for my passport nor any other docs at any cruise port, other than occasionally being asked for a photo ID at the gate to the cruise port. Only exception I can think of was a couple year period when US customs required a quick presentation of documents before being allowed to disembark at St. Thomas. We've been in several European ports where Celebrity has specifically told people they need to carry their passports but never had them actually checked.

We use a waterproof container similar to this. You can purchase them on the ship also. It's great for carrying your seapass, a driver's license, a credit card, and some money. That's really all you need going ashore. Leave the passport in your stateroom safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Container-Airtight-Money-Beach/dp/B002EDCS06/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

A few years back my other half bought a pair of Billabong swimming shorts that came with a waterproof wallet. We used to put cash in that and then in the velcro shut pocket of the shorts. Worked brilliantly. You could see if they still do them.

Nic

Archived