Another Passport ?

shopril

Can I take the paperwork to Post Office to renew our passports? I just want to make sure I have everything right before mailing them off. When we originally got them the pictures were not correct which caused a delay.

Can I take the paperwork to Post Office to renew our passports? I just want to make sure I have everything right before mailing them off. When we originally got them the pictures were not correct which caused a delay.

Yes. Some have special hours and some are anything but have special windows. They will double check your paperwork and take the fees and you won't have to mail it off separately. It will be the same as going to a passport office.

Yes. Some have special hours and some are anything but have special windows. They will double check your paperwork and take the fees and you won't have to mail it off separately. It will be the same as going to a passport office.

Google it for your area as to which post office you take it. Not all post offices do it. For example, I live in a suburb of Atlanta and I had to go into Atlanta and not my local post office

My local post office also does pass port photos. I printed the renewal paperwork ahead of time to complete. On the day I went to the PO, it was a slow day at the stamp window, so the clerk took three photos and let me select the one that looked the least scary.

Be sure to call ahead to verify the times the PO will take the applications.

Darcy

I would call first to make sure -- that would have saved us a trip. :( One of our nearby PO's does Passports (including photos). Last year, our adult son went there to get his recently expired passport renewed, with no problem. But, when we went to that same PO last month to renew our passports, we were told that they no longer handle renewals (only do originals now). Fortunately, we already had new photos and the appropriate completed forms -- so, we had everything we needed to mail in.

Just to make sure that the postal clerk had not given me incorrect information, I went to the Postal Service website and checked on Passports. It stated very clearly said that that PO's no longer process passport renewals. They have to be handled by mail, or you have to go to a regional passport center.

Both out Township and our "County Store"process new passport applications. I called them about renewals and was told it is only done by mail to the federal passport office. They would take our picture, but we had much closer options for that.

My goodness....renewals are now so easy that a third grader can follow the instructions. Simply download the Passport Form, get a color Passport Photo (AAA offices do a great job for little or no money), fill out the very simple form, put it in an envelope with your check and current Passport and mail it off Certified or Registered Mail (using this ensures tracking). We also check the box on the form for additional pages since this is free. If you later need those additional pages it now costs some real money...so why not just get it for free when you renew. We also accept the option (explained on the form instructions) to have our new Passports mailed Priority Mail (you do pay a little extra for this service.

The very simple instructions can be found at :

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html

By the way, DW recently renewed her Passport and her new one in less then 3 weeks.

The Dept of State also allows you to track your Passport processing online.

Hank

Indeed. Renewals are a snap now. When I did it in December, I didn't even fill out the form directly. I just answered a bunch of questions on the State Department's website. Depending on how you answered the questions, it might ask you others. When it's all done, it actually generates the filled in form as a PDF. All nice and neat. No worries about sloppy handwriting. :) Download it, print it, attach the photo, sign it, drop in envelope with passport and renewal fee. Mail with delivery confirmation. Piece of cake. It's a nice system.

I had my new passport back within 3 weeks. Old passport arrived a few days later.

What about renewals for kids though? Both parents have to be there. They can't mail it in. So do they have to find a passport renewal office?

That is a fair point. here are the requirements for a renewal using the method/form linked to by Hank (Hlitner)

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application

Was issued when you were age 16 or older

Was issued within the last 15 years

Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

That is a fair point. here are the requirements for a renewal using the method/form linked to by Hank (Hlitner)

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application

Was issued when you were age 16 or older

Was issued within the last 15 years

Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

But this doesn't answer the question. How do minors get their passports renewed? Do they have to physically go into a passport office now?

Thanks everyone. I filled out the form online and printed them. Went to local CVS to get the pics. Last stop was the Post Office to mail it off certified mail. They do not expire until December and our next cruise is not until Jan, so we should have plenty of time to get them back.

Thanks everyone. I filled out the form online and printed them. Went to local CVS to get the pics. Last stop was the Post Office to mail it off certified mail. They do not expire until December and our next cruise is not until Jan, so we should have plenty of time to get them back.

We got our pix at Costco. They did a great job at a reasonable price -- and included some extra copies, which I've been told are nice to have, when you need to apply for a visa. But, the best part is that I now have a passport picture that doesn't make me cringe, every time I look at it! :p :D

Nice. You'll have 'em before the end of August. And with 10 years left on them. You can easily squeeze in some other international trip now. :)

But this doesn't answer the question. How do minors get their passports renewed? Do they have to physically go into a passport office now?

Yes, passport renewals for minors must be done in person. Essentially it is not a renewal at all, but rather is done just like a new passport application.

So basically, all children have to go to a passport office? That makes no sense.

When it comes to government regulations, rationality is irrelevant. Any attempt to "make sense" of it is futile. Just comply. (Do these statements remind anyone of the Borg on Star Trek?) Here is the link to the State Dept information.

When it comes to government regulations, rationality is irrelevant. Any attempt to "make sense" of it is futile. Just comply. (Do these statements remind anyone of the Borg on Star Trek?) Here is the link to the State Dept information.

This must be a new rule because in May my DD got her kid's passports renewed and they didn't have to do that. Love the "Borg" reference.

I did not mention minors because there are a bunch of different rules depending on age and a few other things. If you use that link I posted earlier it will give you the link to get the current info on minors...but in most cases they will have to apply in person. Tis a real bummer for those with kids.

Hank

As others have said you can go to a passport location and/or post office that does the passport renewals.

I have to say that renewing on line is very easy.

And you just get photos at places that take passport photos.

Keith

So basically, all children have to go to a passport office? That makes no sense.

Why does this make no sense.

If a child is a minor there are extra steps even if they leave the USA on a trip such as going with one parent.

It is for their protection.

Same for getting a passport.

Keith

I just saw your post after I posted.

Glad this worked out well and that you went to a place such as a CVS to get the passport photo.

Keith

Sorry, but is makes sense to me.

We are talking about minors.

There are different rules for minors at the state and federal levels and it usually has to do with their well being.

An example would be a divorced parent or a grand parent taking a minor child on a cruise and the certified letter that is required.

Most rules do make sense and that even includes rules that parents establish for their own children but some will always question them.

Thank goodness we do have rules.

Otherwise, we would have this thing called anarchy.

Keith

Archived