Eurodam : Fjords , Highlands and Ireland A Review

brazilgirl

We visited Inverary Castle ( Downtown Abbey fans- it was featured in final episode of Season 3). Gorgeous!

21ctlx3.jpg

b3n9qc.jpg

23wpnyh.jpg

Inverary Castle

Inverary Castle!! Clan Campbell up in the HOUSE!! WOOT WOOT!!

camp1.jpg

Edited by AlohaPride

Are you saying that HAL had never been to Lerwick until the E-dam stopped there in 2012? Hardly. My first visit there was in '94, and I have been there several times since, last time being in '07 or '09 (I forget).

That time was on the Prinsendam, that I do remember, and we docked. First time ever I docked there.

Now, 2012 might have been the first time the E-dam went to Lerwick. That's a possibility.

It was my understanding HAL hadn't been there prior to 2012. As you pointed out, perhaps Eurodam hadn't been there.

Our driver was a Campbell! The Duke of Argyll is quite dashing... Lots of photos of he and his family at the Castle.

Please please please post those pictures!

You didn't happen to run into any McDonalds did you? LOL That feud puts the Hatfields and McCoys to shame.

Edited by AlohaPride

Please please please post those pictures!

You didn't happen to run into any McDonalds did you? LOL That feud puts the Hatfields and McCoys to shame.

Oh , sorry... I don't have the photos. I meant there were personal photos of him ( and family) all over the castle. But I don't have photos of the photos. :(

Seems the Duke sometimes serves guests in the tearoom , wearing his red socks!

No McDonalds ... Except we saw some Golden Arches on our trip , haha!

My family is McCollough , BTW.

Oh , sorry... I don't have the photos. I meant there were personal photos of him ( and family) all over the castle. But I don't have photos of the photos. :(

Seems the Duke sometimes serves guests in the tearoom , wearing his red socks!

No McDonalds ... Except we saw some Golden Arches on our trip , haha!

My family is McCollough , BTW.

I thought you might be the luckiest person on the planet to see The Duke of Argyll and his family during your tour. ROFL SMH I'm such a blonde sometimes.

Pretty sure the other HAL ships would have docked as the Eurodam just exceeded the size allowed to dock. As I said , I got this info while researching , may be wrong.

I've tendered into Lerwick from the Statendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Maasdam; the Prinsendam docked.

But the last time I tendered there was several years ago, and it's possible there's a dock now that can handle ships larger than the Prinsendam.

When the Prinsendam docked, we weren't at the same place the tenders came in to.

Those tenders came right to the heart of downtown. It was walk off the tender, up the pier, and cross the street to a cobblestone area with lots of little shops.

Just wanted to let you know that I just reviewed your tapatalk pictures on page 2 (on my computer-posts in the mid-40s) and they are loading fine. Didn't get to see them earlier.Enjoyed seeing them finally!

The tapatalk pictures (when available) load more quickly than the tinypic ones, for me.

Thanks again for the review.

Penny

I've tendered into Lerwick from the Statendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Maasdam; the Prinsendam docked.

But the last time I tendered there was several years ago, and it's possible there's a dock now that can handle ships larger than the Prinsendam.

When the Prinsendam docked, we weren't at the same place the tenders came in to.

Those tenders came right to the heart of downtown. It was walk off the tender, up the pier, and cross the street to a cobblestone area with lots of little shops.

Our tender let us off right in the heart of downtown as well. It was a convenient spot and the ride was short.

Our tender adventure occurred in Dunmore East. We were on the third to the last tender coming back and due to swells , it was a wild ride! Quite memorable!

Glad the pics are loading ... Tapatalk is simpler to use!

After visiting Inverary Castle , we visited a stunning church on the shore of a loch. Scotland sure is beautiful. We stopped at the supposedly haunted Dover's Inn , where we were supposed to have lunch . Due to time constriantss because of flat tire , we only could have some chips and a pint ( or Coke). The kids hadn't had a proper meal since 7:00 am and on the drive back they got quite a case of the giggles ( punch happy?). The scenery was stunning on the long drive back.

Upon boarding the ship , we ordered room service and relaxed on our balcony. Right before 5:00 ( sailaway) , a huge group of bagpipers , local ladies with flags and a giant dancing highlander started giving us a sailaway show. Very nice.

Around 5:00 , when we were supposed to be leaving , the Captain came on the PA system and announce we'd be waiting for 8 passengers who had been delayed. The show continued. 20 minutes later a white van careens wildly into the parking lot ( the whole ship on the balconies watching the bagpipers!) and the 8 passengers lept out. One was put in a wheelchair. They ran , and I mean ran to the ship. Everyone was cheering and hollering and the Captain was tooting. They didn't even look up in mortification. It was quite tragicomic. My youngest son was so glad the made it!zevunypa.jpg

The Churchusa7a9yh.jpg

Drover's Inn , full of animals

taqehe2a.jpg

Greenockupy8e5ez.jpg

The bagpipers

Hi Brazilgirl,

I chatted with you on the boards back in 2009 when you took the cruise to the Baltic on the Constellation and my wife and I took the same cruise shortly after. I was an ESOL teacher and told you a couple of stories about my little student from Brazil. Well I am retired now and my wife, also an ESOL teacher, will be retiring at the end of this coming school year so to celebrate we are taking the Eurodam on a TA from Copenhagen to NYC. I am enjoying your pictures and look forward to hearing more.

Our next stop was Dublin. We had purchased HoHo bus tickets online and I had scheduled an event for our group called the Irish Dance Party. It was a demonstration of Irish music , dance and instruments with an Irish dance lesson.

It was scheduled for 3 pm in the basement of a very nice pub in the Temple Bar area.

Detail: I am the world's worst dancer. Really ... No lie!!

Daniel O'Sullivan was the talented musician. So great. We had tons of laughs trying to learn the veryyyyyy hard Irish steps . My kiddos laughed so much as did I. Great music and great fun.humumupu.jpg

Dubliny6upa6ez.jpg

Our Irish Dance teacher

u2e7uqev.jpg

Dublin

Everyone...

Thanks so much for the nice feedback! This really was an amazing cruise and I highly recommend this itinerary.

Appreciate the comments , motivates me to keep going :)

Hi Kim! :)

Enjoying your review, and your pictures.

Keep it coming!

(I haven't even had a chance to upload the 1600 pics I took yet. Just barely got unpacked :o).

Re: The Lerwick situation. I think the tendering process went very well (except for my story below).

It was the surprise immigration check, and subsequent horrible lines that were the biggest delay I think.

We did have a rather tense few moments in the tender on the way over though.

I think our tender captain was fairly young and new at his job. As we neared the port, the fog thickened, and visibility dropped to about 30 feet or so.

Our tender driver kept the speed up, and at the last minute realized we were heading right for the seawall. :eek:

The fellow standing beside him grabbed the wheel and turned it hard to port, and we did a 360, found the correct dock and slowly headed in. People on the tender looked at each other, and simultaneously smiled and did a "Whew" .

The ride back was a little choppy, but I was happy that we could at least see the ship. :p

Edited by erin_cruisers

I think our tender captain was fairly young and new at his job. As we neared the port, the fog thickened, and visibility dropped to about 30 feet or so.

Our tender driver kept the speed up, and at the last minute realized we were heading right for the seawall. :eek:

The fellow standing beside him grabbed the wheel and turned it hard to port, and we did a 360, found the correct dock and slowly headed in. People on the tender looked at each other, and simultaneously smiled and did a "Whew" .

The ride back was a little choppy, but I was happy that we could at least see the ship. :p

Whoa! I might have needed a drink after that. ROFL

Hi Kim! :)

Enjoying your review, and your pictures.

Keep it coming!

(I haven't even had a chance to upload the 1600 pics I took yet. Just barely got unpacked :o).

Re: The Lerwick situation. I think the tendering process went very well (except for my story below).

It was the surprise immigration check, and subsequent horrible lines that were the biggest delay I think.

Hey Glen ,

Glad you got home safely. Enjoyed meeting you and your wife. After the immigration issue , I agree that the actual tender ride was quite easy. But almost hitting the seawall...oops , not good! The fog was quite thick , but....

As I mentioned , our tneder ride back from Dunmore East was quite like an amusement park ride. My son , who was up front , thought it was a bit much for his tender heart!ha..I enjoyed the wild waves!

Kim,

I too am enjoying your review and the pictures. We have not had a chance to look at many of ours yet. I just finished uploading the 11,544 pictures from both our cameras onto the home network. Its going to be quite a job to weed through them and get rid of the bad and out of focus ones.

The fog was something else in Lerwick. We got back on the ship about 45 minutes before sail-away and while sitting on the balcony we watched the fog roll in and make the shore totally disappear.

Cheers

Kim,

I too am enjoying your review and the pictures. We have not had a chance to look at many of ours yet. I just finished uploading the 11,544 pictures from both our cameras onto the home network. Its going to be quite a job to weed through them and get rid of the bad and out of focus ones.

The fog was something else in Lerwick. We got back on the ship about 45 minutes before sail-away and while sitting on the balcony we watched the fog roll in and make the shore totally disappear.

Cheers

Hi ! How is Floppy Bunny??

Wow , over 11,000 photos!!! You beat me by a long shot! I weed my photos out nightly while on my trip. I lie in bed and delete repeats , out of focus , photos that are blah....

I used to come home with thousands of photos and my new system works well for me. Plus looking and weeding nightly helps me remember the day :)

Great meeting you!! Would love for you and Glen to post some pics too! Fun to see the trip through different eyes!