Canaletto changes soon roll out to fleet

Tyler919

:confused: I'm not getting it.

When you say Small Plates have eight different dishes/items, do you mean a platter would have eight different foods on it? One mushroom, one rolled salami, one slice cheese etc?

I cannot visualize how this works.

"Small plates" are what they now call appetizers; Salumi, Veal & Sage Polpettina, Zuppa Di Pesce, Vermouth Braised Clams, etc. They, as the Pasta and Large Plates, are to be shared among your table. The Italians call it "Spartire" or sharing

Guess that didn't work too well....sorry about photo...hoped it would be better

thanks for trying. I'm going to try it on my ipad and see if i can expand it. Interested in the menu as DH loves pasta and I do not.;) In the past we were fine as we ordered separate things.

Again, thank you:)

I was thinking the same thing.

I think you would find it quite easy: have a small plate, or 2, and a pasta or a main course...becomes like an appetizer and entree. But like every meal on the ship, if you want more dishes merely order them. The additional waste of what you might leave behind is lost in the huge amount already thrown away.

We dined at Canaletto last week on the Oosterdam and were not impressed. My Partner is Italian and an excellent chef and he thought the gnocchi was disgusting, and way too heavy with shortribs mixed in. Our Main course was veal and while good, was hardly a portion for two. The only course that we truly enjoyed were the clams. For the money, we were extremely let down. We far prefered the food and service in the MDR.

When you say Small Plates have eight different dishes/items, do you mean a platter would have eight different foods on it? One mushroom, one rolled salami, one slice cheese etc?

Think tapas style.

I think you would find it quite easy: have a small plate, or 2, and a pasta or a main course...becomes like an appetizer and entree. But like every meal on the ship, if you want more dishes merely order them. The additional waste of what you might leave behind is lost in the huge amount already thrown away.

I can't eat pasta so I guess this will likely be it for me. The menu didn't have that much for me before, likely even less now. I appreciate you letting us know.

The last twice I've been on HAL there have been few people in there. We ate there once two years ago on Noordam. The food was very average. We did not go back. The Lido food was better. I think they charge for this now? If was a no go then and it will def be a no go now. I know they're trying something new, which is good, but there's SO MANY other types of food they could add as a speciality instead of this. It's not very adventurous.

I'm interested in seeing how this will work out. On occasion, when my tablemates in the MDR, for one reason or another, don't plan to share the dinner table as usual, I've had dinner solo in Canaletto. It worked out fine, especially for a change of pace on long cruises. I wonder if it will still be in place next Fall, as I'm already booked on a long cruise and have been given a dinner in the Canaletto as part of HAL's new program. We'll see.

No, but like tapas each small plate would have several pieces of one appetizer item and if each diner order 1 or 2 small plates as appetizers than the whole table would have a selection of appetizers to share. Same with entrees or pasta - each diner would order one entrée or pasta dish put in the center of the table and everyone shares. This is also what we do at a Chinese restaurant. Called Family Style service if it needs an official name.

I haven't come across a restaurant that serves family style and shares dishes between strangers.

One place (of a few) we came across that put strangers at a table to share the meal: http://www.plainandfancyfarm.com/

What would be the benefit to HAL to serve this way? There has to be some financial incentive.

OP said he was told they got more repeat business (but I suppose it could have been an improved menu that brought them back).

I haven't come across a restaurant that serves family style and shares dishes between strangers.

Try Good and Plenty in the Amish area of Pennsylvania. It was really kind of fun even though I am not partial to digging in with strangers.

"Small plates" has eight different dishes/items

"Pasta" has five different dishes/items

"Large plates" has four different dishes/items

Lots of stuff to chose from:cool:

It all sounds too complicated for this girl. I think we will pass.

As a solo I doubt i will go there. Haal could stick the solo'd in the back and hide us. Hal should wake up there are a lot of solo passengers twho want to cruise. We really hate being treated this way. Last cruise we had a solo get together the same night as we cruised. two people showed up. (including me) I told the Hal person it was dumb to have it on sail night. There were no snacks no free drinks, No nothing. later in cruise we had another solo get together more people came. We just started to chat when we were kicked out of the side of crows nest for private party that was goiing to be held. We did go down stairs but lost most of the solo pax. I want to do another cruise in October but the solo rate is killing me

Mary

Archived