Canaletto changes soon roll out to fleet

Tyler919

I want the limoncello dessert, and lots of it! They can place that platter in front of me. :D

Mmmm! I love lemon.

You can dine with us. We'll order for 4 because my girls don't eat. . . :rolleyes: Unless it's texmex or Mexican.

On second thought. My celiac probably wouldn't appreciate Italian Food. ;)

The new Canaletto menu, right now only on OSDM on a trial basis, is, without a doubt, a huge improvement. Had dinner there three times. The place was packed and people kept coming back after their first time. Only wish they would have kept the Minestrone

Copper, do you think this could be rolled out on the Veendam by August 17?

Roy

Mmmm! I love lemon.

I remember eating with you on the Noordam. You took a taste of my lemon dessert and decided you had made the wrong choice. You got another dessert just like mine. :D

Sorry about the short turn down Memory Lane. We now rejoin Canaletto.

Copper, do you think this could be rolled out on the Veendam by August 17?

Roy

I don't think so Roy; it's still being tried out on OSDM, so far, with success. Pretty sure the corp. trainer told me he's going to WEDM next, also in Alaska

On board Oosterdam in Alaska as we speak, and while Ill comment on a review later, I do want to pass on the apparent news that the new format in Canaletto will over time move throughout the fleet. The menu is designed to be used "family style" and has been tested here for the last three weeks.

The menu is divided into three sections: small plates, pastas and large plates. They recommend for your planning that the best use is to order two small plates, one pasta and one large plate for each twosome. They very much encouraged adding extras, and there are no extra charges if you order more than that.

We had 6 in our party, and ordered 7 smalls,including 2 of the veal meatballs (holy yum) and cured meats, and 3 different pastas and 3 large plates. They are all served center table, and we passed and had a great time feeling as if we were gathered around an Italian villa table. The maitre d' explained that in the old concept many people came once and did not return, and that this change had increased return visits. It certainly worked for us...we loved it!

I'll try to list items more fully after I get copy of menu and the wine wears off.

Sounds different!!

Looking forward to seeing the new menu.

The concept for groups of three or more sounds great, because you can get a lot of different dishes and share. More than once, I've gone with friends to an Italian restaurant and we made it our own family style. When you get to the solos or the couples, it will need some work. Couples already share, if they want. I'm a solo cruiser and would like to try Canaletto. Now, I'm not certain I will.

I agree that the concept sounds interesting. But, I have come to the point in my life where I cannot eat as much as I once did. A small plate, a pasta, plus an entree: sounds like more than I could "stomach" anymore.

I also want to see the menu. (And, I LOVE Italian cuisine!)

What would be the benefit to HAL to serve this way? There has to be some financial incentive.

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe..., just maybe..., HAL is trying to make a dinner at the Canaletto a more pleasant experience for cruisers?

Scott & Karen

I agree that the concept sounds interesting. But, I have come to the point in my life where I cannot eat as much as I once did. A small plate, a pasta, plus an entree: sounds like more than I could "stomach" anymore.

This made me smile remembering my dad. He used to say "I can no longer eat all I can eat!"

I'm still waiting for that to happen:D.

I actually think it is a perfect option for a single or a couple. This is increasingly popular in the Pacific Northwest and I really love it.

It is very easy for one or two to order a variety of food without too much food to waste. Around home, two or three small plates are very manageable for one AND if you want they will serve a small portion of the "Large" plate if that is what you prefer.

Like another poster, I cannot eat Pasta - no problem. I simply as for only the meat (like meatballs) OR pick the meat out of the pasta. Many of the dishes I have had do not have pasta.

Just my experience and opinion. I will look forward to this variation IF it is introduced on a ship I am on.

We'll come with you!

I see this change as a good idea for larger groups, but for ones and twos, not much of a difference.

Would love to see the menu!

I was thinking the same thing.

There is just the 2 of us and we rarely eat the same thing when we are away from home.

I can see sharing the larger plates when there are 4 or more people at a table.

I was thinking the same thing.

There is just the 2 of us and we rarely eat the same thing when we are away from home.

I can see sharing the larger plates when there are 4 or more people at a table.

I am sure, like the family style restaurants in the Midwest, the portions on the "Large" plates will vary depending on the amount of diners at the table. A solo pax would not receive the same portion as a group of 4 would. You can also request smaller servings of the larger dishes,

Maggiano's comes to mind as a family style Italian restaurant in the Midwest.

I am sure, like the family style restaurants in the Midwest, the portions on the "Large" plates will vary depending on the amount of diners at the table. A solo pax would not receive the same portion as a group of 4 would. You can also request smaller servings of the larger dishes,

Maggiano's comes to mind as a family style Italian restaurant in the Midwest.

We shall see. If I'm terribly bored of the food in the MDR I might try it since I will be on the Oosterdam on Aug 18th. The one thing I don't like is people making a fuss so I worry that might happen if I go in there by myself. One time I went to the Cellar Masters dinner by myself and they kept moving me from table to table because I was alone. It was very uncomfortable and I don't want to repeat an experience. I know they won't do that there but if they make a fuss about me being alone I will not appreciate it.

I enlarged the picture of the menu -- it was still bad -- all blurry.

Since this is happening only on one ship so far -- looks like we have to wait for someone to get a better picture.

Would you be so kind to type it instead in a post please?

Kind regards,

Gina

Archived