Canaletto changes soon roll out to fleet

Tyler919

On board Oosterdam in Alaska as we speak, and while Ill comment on a review later, I do want to pass on the apparent news that the new format in Canaletto will over time move throughout the fleet. The menu is designed to be used "family style" and has been tested here for the last three weeks.

The menu is divided into three sections: small plates, pastas and large plates. They recommend for your planning that the best use is to order two small plates, one pasta and one large plate for each twosome. They very much encouraged adding extras, and there are no extra charges if you order more than that.

We had 6 in our party, and ordered 7 smalls,including 2 of the veal meatballs (holy yum) and cured meats, and 3 different pastas and 3 large plates. They are all served center table, and we passed and had a great time feeling as if we were gathered around an Italian villa table. The maitre d' explained that in the old concept many people came once and did not return, and that this change had increased return visits. It certainly worked for us...we loved it!

I'll try to list items more fully after I get copy of menu and the wine wears off.

On board Oosterdam in Alaska as we speak, and while Ill comment on a review later, I do want to pass on the apparent news that the new format in Canaletto will over time move throughout the fleet. The menu is designed to be used "family style" and has been tested here for the last three weeks.

The menu is divided into three sections: small plates, pastas and large plates. They recommend for your planning that the best use is to order two small plates, one pasta and one large plate for each twosome. They very much encouraged adding extras, and there are no extra charges if you order more than that.

We had 6 in our party, and ordered 7 smalls,including 2 of the veal meatballs (holy yum) and cured meats, and 3 different pastas and 3 large plates. They are all served center table, and we passed and had a great time feeling as if we were gathered around an Italian villa table. The maitre d' explained that in the old concept many people came once and did not return, and that this change had increased return visits. It certainly worked for us...we loved it!

I'll try to list items more fully after I get copy of menu and the wine wears off.

Sounds interesting. We did not go to Canaletto on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, my way of protesting the surcharge plus it has not been that special for us in the past. I am curious if a new menu will change that.

Thanks - this sounds interesting. We did enjoy the Cannaletto on the P'dam. I confess I am not a pasta fan although DH is but there were other things on the menu that I could and did enjoy. :D

Love the "small plates" concept. Glad it is showing up as an onboard dining option. Originally I think people did not return to Canaletto (even when it was free) is because it was not that good. We had an antipasto plate at lunch in the Pinnacle which was outstanding -- hope that is the level Canaletto with its own surcharge is now reaching.

I may be in the minority but this doesn't appeal to me. Not a big fan of family style. But at least HAL is limiting it to the group you came with - often family style puts a bunch of people (strangers) at a table to pass the food around. That couldn't/shouldn't be done if they want to manage GI outbreaks, although this change could ensure that everyone in the family/group gets it.

It would take much better food to get me to come back to the Canaletto again, not a change in the way it's served. But if it makes more $$$ for HAL, that's fine - maybe it will prevent another cutback somewhere that actually matters to me.

(Don't mean for this to sound negative - I'm sure a lot of people will like this change.)

We'll come with you!

K! :) Sounds like fun.

But seriously, this looks like one more example of how solo passengers are being discouraged from booking. We pay two fares, but then are left out of the rest of the thinking in how to run things.

Will this new Canaletto policy be just too much food for one since it's served family style?

No one person wants platters with enough food to feed a clan all spread out in front of them.

Interesting. Wonder how this will work for a family of one?

It would certainly discourage me from going unless I were to find a group to go with once on board. I already have a few butterflies over dining as a solo after reading some of the experiences of others in the solo's forum. Having to arrange a group to be able to take advantage of a particular venue would be off-putting.

But seriously, this looks like one more example of how solo passengers are being discouraged from booking. We pay two fares, but then are left out of the rest of the thinking in how to run things.

Will this new Canaletto policy be just too much food for one since it's served family style?

No one person wants platters with enough food to feed a clan all spread out in front of them.

You are right again, Ruth. Was checking solo cruise price for 2014 with my TA and Hal included a Canaletto meal. I'd much rather do Pinnacle alone.

You know you are always welcome to join us. We rarely ask you because you don't like Italian food. ;) We can all give this a try next time. If you don't like it, the Lido is close enough.

You do bring up a very valid point though. I would be surprised if HAL has even thought about serving single diners in Canaletto. I would hope that they have looked at their reservation statistics for that restaurant.

I does seem odd that they are now pushing this family style of service. Most tables I've seen there are 2-tops and some 4-tops. Maybe one or two that would seat six. The one time we dined there as part of a larger group, where family style would have been great, we had to be split up among several 4-tops.

We'll see how this works. DH loves mushrooms. I hate fungus. Ruth doesn't like garlic. Family style for us should be interesting.

But at least HAL is limiting it to the group you came with - often family style puts a bunch of people (strangers) at a table to pass the food around.

I haven't come across a restaurant that serves family style and shares dishes between strangers.

Ruth, perhaps you can request a sampler plate with a little bit of everything. That would probably work well.

Anytime we are "in the same boat" you are more than welcome to dine with us although we are usually in the PG for most meals.

Anytime we are "in the same boat" you are more than welcome to dine with us although we are usually in the PG for most meals.

Thanks for the invitation. Truth be told, I am much more a "Pinnacle Girl" than a "Canaletto Gal". ;)

We'll see how this works. DH loves mushrooms. I hate fungus. Ruth doesn't like garlic. Family style for us should be interesting.

I want the limoncello dessert, and lots of it! They can place that platter in front of me. :D

The new Canaletto menu, right now only on OSDM on a trial basis, is, without a doubt, a huge improvement. Had dinner there three times. The place was packed and people kept coming back after their first time. Only wish they would have kept the Minestrone

What do u do for 2 people who like nowhere near the same thing?

"Small plates" has eight different dishes/items

"Pasta" has five different dishes/items

"Large plates" has four different dishes/items

Lots of stuff to chose from:cool:

"Small plates" has eight different dishes/items

"Pasta" has five different dishes/items

"Large plates" has four different dishes/items

Lots of stuff to chose from:cool:

:confused: I'm not getting it.

When you say Small Plates have eight different dishes/items, do you mean a platter would have eight different foods on it? One mushroom, one rolled salami, one slice cheese etc?

I cannot visualize how this works.

Archived