Canaletto changes soon roll out to fleet

Tyler919

The Solaia Antinori at $329 a bottle PLUS 15% or $50!!!!!! will go down well with some pasta and sausage!!!!!

Glad to see the intodruction of wines by the caraffe. Long overdue.

Captain Card; are you doing the paintings for the new built?;)

We shall see. If I'm terribly bored of the food in the MDR I might try it since I will be on the Oosterdam on Aug 18th. The one thing I don't like is people making a fuss so I worry that might happen if I go in there by myself. One time I went to the Cellar Masters dinner by myself and they kept moving me from table to table because I was alone. It was very uncomfortable and I don't want to repeat an experience. I know they won't do that there but if they make a fuss about me being alone I will not appreciate it.

OMG Lorene!! Why did they do this? I think if this was me, I would have told them I was fine where they first put me and refused to move. did they do this after they started serving your meal or did they keep moving you so you never got a chance to order?

maybe its a new pat of HAL effort to help us keep weight off--all that running around the MDR!!:D

ML

We have enjoyed Canaletto in the past, but the menu is now unacceptable. Looks like we'd be limited to 2 small plates, 1 pasta, and no large plates. I thought Hal was adding rather than subtracting vegetarian choices. Also, the 2 small plates might be ok; the pasta sounds unappealing. Maybe we'll luck out and the Westerdam will still have the old menu the end of Sept.

OMG Lorene!! Why did they do this? I think if this was me, I would have told them I was fine where they first put me and refused to move. did they do this after they started serving your meal or did they keep moving you so you never got a chance to order?

maybe its a new pat of HAL effort to help us keep weight off--all that running around the MDR!!:D

ML

It was one our cruise too! They did it before they started serving thankfully. I wanted to tell them if it was such an ordeal I could leave.

Jemima,

Why judge so quickly? If they are anything like the restaurants I have been to with a similar small plate/large plate thing and courses they will be GLAD to give you a large plate of a small plate item(s). If I understand you correctly and there are two small plates you can eat, ask for a large place size serving of one or both of them. In lieu of an appropriate large plate option -I think they will gladly meet your diary needs. Just ask nicely without an attitude.

For several reasons I have very specific food needs and prohibitions. On HAL (and other cruise lines as well) they have always bent over backwards to be accommodating. I have always discussed my needs/prohibitions quietly with the steward and the area supervisor the first night and have had no problems or arguments. If they were to make a slip I would simply push the undesirable item aside and eat what I can on the plate. (Almost every dish restaurants serve have components I cannot eat so I am used to asking for omissions, additions and substitution.) HAL has been wonderful about this..

What are the chances that the Amsterdam will have this new menu on the 16th of this month? I think that it sounds fantastic.:)

Slim to none, sorry; it's only on a trial basis on OSDM at the moment, complete with a corporate trainer. Pretty sure he's moving to WEDM next to institute it

Slim to none, sorry; it's only on a trial basis on OSDM at the moment, complete with a corporate trainer. Pretty sure he's moving to WEDM next to institute it

Too bad. We are a group of 12 who love good Italian food. Perhaps we will give the current menu a try. Thanks for the answer.

Jemima,

Why judge so quickly? If they are anything like the restaurants I have been to with a similar small plate/large plate thing and courses they will be GLAD to give you a large plate of a small plate item(s)...QUOTE]

Huh? I don't have an attitude; I'm simply stating that the new menu won't work for DD and myself. On land we read menus ahead of time and then decide where we will eat and what we can order. Aboard ship we check the dinner menu during the day and decide if we'll eat in the MDR or in the Lido which is more flexible. Both of us dislike making special requests. It makes a meal much more pleasant when we simply order. So we'll just skip Canaletto. There is plenty of great food in the MDR and the Lido.

This should be a readable menu. Tyler sent me his photo which I copied and cropped as 3 segments and then printed them to pdf with a utility. I'm not sure why but the top page (small plates) came out last but the pages should all be there and legible. Here's the file. You should be able to click on the link and see it:

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/newcanaletto.pdf

Roy

Great -- thank you for doing this.

[quote name='smokinmike']I read about a lot of folks crabbing about the new Canelletto menu.

I just wonder what you people normally eat for dinner when you aren't on a cruise.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it ok to express honest feelings or do we all have to say everything is great? I'm obsessed with Tamarind but others may not care for it. Does that make it wrong?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]On our Westerdam cruise in March/April -- in the main dining room you could order carafes of wine:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[URL="http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photopost/data/777/Westerdam_ship_pictures_3_014.JPG"][IMG]http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photopost/data/777/medium/Westerdam_ship_pictures_3_014.JPG[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='lorekauf']It was one our cruise too! They did it before they started serving thankfully. I wanted to tell them if it was such an ordeal I could leave.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't know. You could have joined our crowd anytime--but I could understand not wanting to!! When we all ate at the same time, there were 10 of us, so that might be overwhelming.

You should get better treatment on the next cruise:D!

ML

[quote name='lorekauf']Isn't it ok to express honest feelings or do we all have to say everything is great? I'm obsessed with Tamarind but others may not care for it. Does that make it wrong?[/QUOTE]

Nope - not at all. I'll wait and try the new menu out before I rush to judgement. I like small plates though - as long as the quality of the food is good.

Archived