Oceania with Kids

orgutierrez

From the FAQ section on the Oceania website. Does sound very warm and fuzzy!

Q. Can I bring children under the age of 18?

A: Infants must be one year of age as of the first day of the cruise. Guests traveling with a young infant that does not meet the infant policy will be denied boarding. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from Oceania Cruises to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or any accompanying guests. Any guest under the age of 18 must be accompanied by and occupy the same stateroom as an adult 18 years or older. Oceania Cruises does not provide for the care, entertainment or supervision of children.

Took my children on a cruise on Nautica in summer of 2010. There were a number of other children on board and they did organize activities for them. I suspect they would do the same if the numbers warrant it.

I have been on 3 Oceania cruises, (2 on the Nautica & 1 on the Marina ) all of which have had a few school aged children on board. I found these children to be pleasant ,well mannered and neither loud or bored or complaining. Unfortunately those same adjectives do not always apply to some adult passengers.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

My kids are quite used to port intensive cruises and we always go ashore for long and mostly cultural experiences with shore excursions, so I think that having been in HAL they will not find Oceania that boring. Looking forward to try Oceania!

Yes yes children have a right to sale. Just came back from a cruise on Riviera and there were children on board. Yes they were bored. Yes it was a huge detriment to my cruise. Yes I choose Oceania because it is adult centered. If I want to cruise with children I will go on another cruise line. I don't hate children, I own one now. I also don't want to cruise on this line with him

Which post says that people who don't like children are bad persons?

What the debate is about is that children have as much right to sail on O as anybody else.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Actually the thread is the OP looking for feedback if their children will be bored and has been side tracked with the debate you describe and ridiculous arguments of whether or not preferring an adult experience is analogous to hating children. How can any of that ever reach a conclusion??

I have my opinions too but would not be useful helping the OP make a decision without knowing their children or more about their sailing.

This O board seems to have taken an unpleasant turn the last while and getting a lot of debates & arguments of petty details. Change of overall tone.

Fortunately the OP has responded and has made a decision based on their knowledge of their children and this thread can hopefully fade out.

I'd like to call attention to another thread here on CC on the issue of diapered children in the pool on Oceania. This is a serious health issue for all and the result of apparently a parent thinking the rules don't apply to them and their child. Another reason why cruisers are not pleased with children onboard.

I am not trying to be funny, many seniors ware them too, and they can cause the same health issue in a pool. We can all see a child in a pool and wonder if they are toilet trained and following the rules, how can we spot a adult? I really do not think we can expect all will do the right thing!! I wonder if the signs people love to point too include this group?

I am not trying to be funny, many seniors ware them too, and they can cause the same health issue in a pool. We can all see a child in a pool and wonder if they are toilet trained and following the rules, how can we spot a adult? I really do not think we can expect all will do the right thing!! I wonder if the signs people love to point too include this group?

The children who wear them into the pool are not toilet-trained and many release diarrhea into pools which is not something that can be contained by a swim diaper. These small children may not even recognize what has occurred.

I have never personally known an adult of any age who needed a diaper, though I do realize they exist. But these adults were toilet-trained at some point in their life, likely notice if a leakage is occuring, and most likely the diapers they wear are primarily for urine leakage and though they wear them under their clothes, I don't think they plan to swim with them on, so it is a different situation, in my opinion.

I'd like to call attention to another thread here on CC on the issue of diapered children in the pool on Oceania. This is a serious health issue for all and the result of apparently a parent thinking the rules don't apply to them and their child. Another reason why cruisers are not pleased with children onboard.

I would presume that the op's 9 and 14 year old are diaper-trained!!!! Babies in diapers and children in hot tubs are a common issue for all cruise lines.

Appreciate all the comments, although they may be addressed to the OP...but, we know what we are doing, just wanted to add what we found out when we investigated the trip.

The itinerary we are looking at has no sea days, so that lack of activities will not be an issue. The girls will eat and sleep aboard...we'll be out and about every day. They actually never liked the 'planned' kid stuff on other cruises they have taken... they prefer to be with us.

That's sad.

Not a bother, though. There have been grown-ups that I have not been very fond of, on other cruises. :p

I hope that you and your children have a wonderful cruise on Oceania and create lifetime memories!!!

If I were FDR I would be concerned that some of the comments on here would be driving away many well-heeled, well-mannered people from the sad alleged 'like-minded' customers of Oceania :D.

I hope that you and your children have a wonderful cruise on Oceania and create lifetime memories!!!

If I were FDR I would be concerned that some of the comments on here would be driving away many well-heeled, well-mannered people from the sad alleged 'like-minded' customers of Oceania :D.

Well said - I wonder if FDR will comment.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

My kids are quite used to port intensive cruises and we always go ashore for long and mostly cultural experiences with shore excursions, so I think that having been in HAL they will not find Oceania that boring. Looking forward to try Oceania!

Since you've already made up your mind, counter to most people's opinion, why did you start this thread with a question as to whether your children would be bored??

My husband was talking to a waiter in Red Ginger two nights ago who said Children onboard is becoming more and more common.

We have not experience a big annoyance from the junior cruisers but I would not bring my grandchildren onboard, mainly because there is no kids area for them to get away from us 'oldies'

Saying that though we think they would eat healthier on Oceania! :D

I am planning on taking my 10 and 13 year old with me on the Regatta to South America in March. My kids are pretty seasoned travelers and know that it is an adult environment and that I expect them to behave accordingly. We are booked on this cruise because the itinerary is far and away better than any othe cruises to S.A. - I don't want spend half of my vacation on ship. I hope that there may be a few other kids on board there age, but don't expect it.

I am planning on taking my 10 and 13 year old with me on the Regatta to South America in March. My kids are pretty seasoned travelers and know that it is an adult environment and that I expect them to behave accordingly. We are booked on this cruise because the itinerary is far and away better than any othe cruises to S.A. - I don't want spend half of my vacation on ship. I hope that there may be a few other kids on board there age, but don't expect it.

Overall an excellent attitude and therefore you all are very likely to have a great time.

Enjoy.

I am planning on taking my 10 and 13 year old with me on the Regatta to South America in March...

Our girls will be 11 and 9 when we sail next Summer. They are also veteran cruisers with 4 priors under their belts.

We are planning a 10-day Med cruise with no sea days...so they will be quite busy, I am sure.

I am planning on taking my 10 and 13 year old with me on the Regatta to South America in March. My kids are pretty seasoned travelers and know that it is an adult environment and that I expect them to behave accordingly. We are booked on this cruise because the itinerary is far and away better than any othe cruises to S.A. - I don't want spend half of my vacation on ship. I hope that there may be a few other kids on board their age, but don't expect it.

THEIR Age.

For what it's worth, I was on the June 28th Alaska cruise out of Seattle. There was at least one "babe in arms" on the ship who clearly was less than a year and not even sitting yet. So, I guess the policy is flexible.

From the FAQ section on the Oceania website. Doesn't sound very warm and fuzzy!

Q. Can I bring children under the age of 18?

A: Infants must be one year of age as of the first day of the cruise. Guests traveling with a young infant that does not meet the infant policy will be denied boarding. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from Oceania Cruises to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or any accompanying guests. Any guest under the age of 18 must be accompanied by and occupy the same stateroom as an adult 18 years or older. Oceania Cruises does not provide for the care, entertainment or supervision of children.

If the parents are responsible parents, then the children are a pleasure to have on board. If the parents are not responsible parents, then usually the children are not a pleasure to have on board. Just because the parents are on holidays does not mean that they can stop being responsible parents. Their holiday is a break from dishes, cooking, car pooling, work, but not parenting.

If the parents are responsible parents, then the children are a pleasure to have on board. If the parents are not responsible parents, then usually the children are not a pleasure to have on board. Just because the parents are on holidays does not mean that they can stop being responsible parents. Their holiday is a break from dishes, cooking, car pooling, work, but not parenting.

I would say that bringing children of any age to a very adult focused activity or venue is not very responsible at all.:rolleyes:

I have noticed over the years that every ones child and dog are the perfect ones without exception..

Ya right.... I buy that

Archived