Oceania with Kids

orgutierrez

As I keep repeating........ take your children -- as long as it is during a school break when children are expected to be on board. People who travel during the summer, Christmas and other school breaks know that children will be on board. Some of us make certain that we sail when children are in school. The 1 or 2 children we do see on board are generally bored. IMO, it is those parents that are not thinking of their children when they book. Why would any child want to be on a ship where there is absolutely nothing to do and they receive ugly looks from some of the passengers.

We were on cruise (Regent) from Cape Town to Rio when school was in session. There was one little boy -- around 6 or 7 years of age. He was adorable -- the crew loved him. Passengers avoided them like the plague. We never saw his parents sharing a table with anyone. When the boy was in the pool, no one else wanted to go in. Towards the end of the cruise, this perfect little boy finally had a melt-down. He ran down the hallway to his suite screaming at the top of his lungs. The poor little one had obviously had enough. I wasn't upset with the little boy but cannot say what I thought of the parents as the words are now allowed on CruiseCritic.

IMO, selfish parents never see themselves that way. Quite a sad situation.

1. Every child I have encountered on any of my Oceania cruises has behaved just fine, and their presence has not affected my cruise experience one bit.

2. One of my friends (and her husband) took their then 17-year-old twin girls on a Baltic cruise on Regent two years ago in June 2011, and she hated the experience. She felt that her entire family was treated as pariahs by her fellow cruisers, and she was upset that the wait staff would not let her children drink any alcohol, including wine.

I was just on an Alaska cruise (June 28) with my 10 year old grandson. He had the most fabulous time and I certainly hope he didn't annoy anyone. But I knew that to make it work, I had to adjust my schedule and desires to his (for instance no meals in either Polo or Toscana as it would require him to sit for longer than is his staying power. But having said that, and taking almost all my meals in the Terrace, we had the most fabulous time. Seeing things through his eyes was great. And he had no interest in a "Disney" cruise--said he wouldn't go if there were "creatures" there. So.....

1. Every child I have encountered on any of my Oceania cruises has behaved just fine, and their presence has not affected my cruise experience one bit.

2. One of my friends (and her husband) took their then 17-year-old twin girls on a Baltic cruise on Regent two years ago in June 2011, and she hated the experience. She felt that her entire family was treated as pariahs by her fellow cruisers, and she was upset that the wait staff would not let her children drink any alcohol, including wine.

Cruise line policy does not allow any crew member to serve any alcoholic drink to anyone under the age of 21 which is legal age in the US. We took our kids on a cruise when our oldest was 20 (legal age to drink in Canada) and the youngest was 2 months shy of being 19 (legal age to drink in Canada) and neither of them were allowed to be serve a drink. The youngest thought it was funny that her brother couldn't drink and was quite happy that he couldn't. We were told that if we gave them the drinks they would have to taken away from them. Totally ticked off our son, but we worked around the problem, by changing the fruit stick that they put on the non-alcoholic drink on to the alcoholic drink and vice versa so that the crew did not know that he was drinking the alcoholic drink and mom was drinking the non-alcoholic drink. The policy changed several years ago that wine and beer could not be served to those 18 and older because on several cruise lines the underaged drinkers got drunk and did a fair amount of damage to several ships. This was done during a college spring break and hence the change in cruise ship policies.

Unfortunately a few bad apples spoiled it for the rest.

We told our kids at that time we wouldn't take them on a cruise again until they were both legal. We did and were highly amused at how the ship staff would look at our daughter who was almost 22 at the time and checked to see if her cruise card was legit. We let her pay for all the drinks because it was so much fun to watch the crew look at her and at her card and realize that she was legal to drink.:D By the time we got to the fourth day of the cruise they quit questioning her because word got around the crew that she was legal and not to question it. That is when the rest of us started to charge the drinks to our cards. Cheap entertainment.:D:D

Clarification: As a former officer of the court (yes, a retired, or I as I call myself, a "recovering attorney"), I simply was reporting my friend's views, not my own!:)

Note that I only have sailed on two lines: Oceania and Azamara, and liked them both for their excellent itineraries, non-smoking policies, informal dress code, service standards, and size of ship. Also, I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them.

One of my friends (and her husband) took their then 17-year-old twin girls on a Baltic cruise on Regent two years ago in June 2011, and she hated the experience. She felt that her entire family was treated as pariahs by her fellow cruisers, and she was upset that the wait staff would not let her children drink any alcohol, including wine.

You bring up a good point. No matter how well-behaved a child is, passengers who feel that Oceania is set up for adults - not children -- can treat the family poorly (giving ugly looks - making comments, etc.) This is definitely not the way that anyone should be treated but it happens. Why subject your children/family to this?

In terms of drinking, IMO, it is the fault of the passenger and/or his or her travel agent to understand all of the policies of the cruise line you will embarking on. Most, if not all, ships that sail to or from the U.S. have the same drinking age -- 21.

I have been reading a lot about children on this and other boards as of late. If the line allows them, and is there one that doesn't?, then people have a right to bring them. People know what the ship is about an if they think it is a fit for their family it's their business. If a person is in someway causing a situation that is impacting others then that should be stopped ASAP by the powers to be weather that person is a child, adult, in a inside cabin or owners cabin. To treat them poorly just because they are a child or young adult is simple bigotry.

I have been reading a lot about children on this and other boards as of late. If the line allows them, and is there one that doesn't?, then people have a right to bring them. People know what the ship is about an if they think it is a fit for their family it's their business. If a person is in someway causing a situation that is impacting others then that should be stopped ASAP by the powers to be weather that person is a child, adult, in a inside cabin or owners cabin. To treat them poorly just because they are a child or young adult is simple bigotry.

This is all well and good - in theory.

In reality there is a lot more gray than black and white in this issue.

For example, how would you more specifically describe this sentence (your words) - "person is in someway causing a situation that is impacting others". This obviously would mean very different things to different people. Also, staff is not eager (and probably not obligated) to "discipline" anyone - children or adults for "such behavior". Major transgressions (physical encounters, intoxication, etc) are a different matter, but we are not talking about those now.

Obviously, well behaved children are rarely (if ever) objected to by reasonable people. The dilemma comes from the term "well behaved" - again meaning different things to different people (parents as well as passengers).

My personal view - any child that does not stand out in any way from the majority of passengers is just another passenger - no problem there. Any child that is a nuisance is just as annoying as any adult behaving in the same manner and is to be avoided at all cost.

Just my 2 cents :)

Really find it offensive to use the term "bigotry" in the context you are using it. There is true bigotry in this world and it is horrible. FYI, Children in the United States do not receive the same protection from discrimination as other "protected groups".

Have you ever tried to tell a parent that their child is being disruptive? Are you still alive to tell the story? Seriously, no one can even suggest that a child is being a brat (or disruptive) without being told to mind your own business (if you disagree -- check out the Oceania thread where a child in diapers was in the pool which is not permitted on any cruise ship). If there are more discussions about children on the boards, it is probable that the number of unsupervised children is increasing.

As long as your sweet, perfect, non-disruptive little ones sail when school is not in session, I do not see a problem. I love children but do not love all parents - especially the parents who take their children out of school so they can sail on a ship without other children. Parents ask adults to respect their children and state that they have a right to go on a ship any time they want. IMO, if a child is out of control, one may assume that they are taking after their parents.

I estimate that 95% of cruise lines are set up to handle children. 5% make a point of having facilities for children during the summer and school breaks (this includes Oceania, Regent, Crystal and to a lesser extent Seabourn and Silversea). 0% of cruise lines make accommodations for adults-only. I still challenge all cruise lines to have two sailings per year that is adults only. I predict that the sailings will sell out.

Really find it offensive to use the term "bigotry" in the context you are using it. There is true bigotry in this world and it is horrible. FYI, Children in the United States do not receive the same protection from discrimination as other "protected groups".

Have you ever tried to tell a parent that their child is being disruptive? Are you still alive to tell the story? Seriously, no one can even suggest that a child is being a brat (or disruptive) without being told to mind your own business (if you disagree -- check out the Oceania thread where a child in diapers was in the pool which is not permitted on any cruise ship). If there are more discussions about children on the boards, it is probable that the number of unsupervised children is increasing.

As long as your sweet, perfect, non-disruptive little ones sail when school is not in session, I do not see a problem. I love children but do not love all parents - especially the parents who take their children out of school so they can sail on a ship without other children. Parents ask adults to respect their children and state that they have a right to go on a ship any time they want. IMO, if a child is out of control, one may assume that they are taking after their parents.

I estimate that 95% of cruise lines are set up to handle children. 5% make a point of having facilities for children during the summer and school breaks (this includes Oceania, Regent, Crystal and to a lesser extent Seabourn and Silversea). 0% of cruise lines make accommodations for adults-only. I still challenge all cruise lines to have two sailings per year that is adults only. I predict that the sailings will sell out.

These three ships are "Adult Only" There may be more but I just know of these ones.

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/adonia/ship-overview/

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/arcadia/ship-overview/

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/oriana/ship-overview/

Adding to that, there is already no smoking whatsoever in the internal public areas of the ship (a smokefree Horizons, no set-aside area for smokers, even an enclosed one) and balcony smoking will be banned in March, 2014:

"This policy will come into affect as of the following cruises:

Ventura - N407/A - 26 March 2014

Azura - A407 - 4 April 2014

Oceana - E406 - 5 April 2014

Arcadia - J402 - 13 April 2014

Oriana - X408 - 18 April 2014

Aurora - R402 - 24 April 2014

Adonia - D402 - 29 April 2014"

There is also no smoking inside cabins.

The Adonia is an R-ship, like the Regatta, the Nautica, and the Insignia.

So Adonia will be 100% smokefree inside, some designated areas on deck, and NO kids under 18.

So, especially for those who want to cruise in Europe during the summer without children, or holidays without children, it's worth a look.

The Adonia is an R-ship, like the Regatta, the Nautica, and the Insignia.

So Adonia will be 100% smokefree inside, some designated areas on deck, and NO kids under 18.

So, especially for those who want to cruise in Europe during the summer without children, or holidays without children, it's worth a look.

However, the negatives of P&O's strict dress code and fixed-seating dinner policies far outweigh the positives of adults only and no smoking - for us anyway. Not to mention that I doubt that these 3 ships can match O's varied itineraries.

As always, YMMV :)

Some of the logic of the pro-children on O posts doesn't quite register with me. I compare the apparent basis of their positions to the same argument that a group of twenty something singles should book a Disney cruise. It boils down IMHO of appropriateness and symmetry with the majority of other guests on board.

It boils down IMHO of appropriateness and symmetry with the majority of other guests on board.

Not really. It is a matter of choice, based on the quality of the line and the itineraries in question. I have never based my own travel plans on the "symmetry" of other people...just not in the equation. :rolleyes:

One should not lump children together with young adults. Young adults (I'm even being generous by including tweens and older here) are not the problem. They do not run down the corridors, They do not scream in the pool, they do not push every button in the elevators, they do not cry in the restaurants yada yada yada. And they do not do all these things while their oblivious parents watch with delight.

• 3 weeks later...

Oceania puts a real emphasis on the fact they are geared towards adults. I hope that this would make passengers considering bringing their children along to thing long and hard about doing so. Parent's know if their kids can handle it or not and I bet there are a lot of parents/grandparents who considered O, and then went to another cruise line. I've seen more posts about people seeing children on board who were polite and well behaved than ones complaining about a specific incidence of a poorly behaved child/parent. (And many, many more about just not wanting children on board either way).

I'm cruising for the first time on O this December and will be bringing my two year old son with me. This wouldn't be my first choice, but it was a present from my in-laws (who have cruised on O) and with the itinerary offering 8/10 days in port we decided to go and thanked them.

For those who are desperately hoping my son isn't on your itinerary, I hope we aren't either. If he is, don't worry. I don't want a screaming child at dinner or anywhere else either. I understand that swimming pools on board are for the adults, swim diapers on my son or not. I am not expecting you or anyone outside of our party to entertain/distract/play with my son (regardless of what cruise line I would be on). I'm not a selfish parent and I'm not an inattentive one. I don't believe that the simple act of bringing him on a particular cruise will make me one.

My son will be two when we sail. He is generally well behaved, he isn't perfect. When he isn't, I try to improve the situation or remove him from the situation. With so few children going on Oceania, why not give the parents the benefit of the doubt that they had a decent reason for picking that particular cruise for their family?

With that all said, I do understand wanting an adults only cruise. I really do. Given the option, I would go on another cruise line. But I can't, so we're stuck with each other.

I would certainly give a child the benefit of the doubt on 99% of cruise lines but not on luxury or ultra premium cruise lines. I would pay the penalty for cancellation since your cruise is free otherwise and take a cruise on a ship that will welcome your child. Have you considered the effect that dirty looks would have on your little one?

Having posted the harsh reality, I have a P.S. IF the cruise is during the break for Christmas and New Year's, children will be welcome on all cruise lines. The only time that I am aware of when children are not welcome with open arms by passengers (not the crew who miss their own children and love to see any child) is when school is in session.

Travelcat, I think I have to disagree somewhat ...

We are not child-friendly people ourselves! But the poster sounds like she knows exactly what her 2 year old can handle, and will deal with it appropriately.

And not EVERYONE on O will glare at children. (This comes from someone who just might!) But I doubt that a 2 year old will notice glares anyway.

As long as O permits children, they are going to be on board. And last I checked, 2 year olds aren't in school so you could encounter them ANY time.

I admit, when we started with Renaissance the age limit was 19 and we were happy with that. But even Renaissance was going to lower that limit -- they just went belly-up before they could. Oceania continued with the new limits (which included the moderated smoking policy that still exists).

As someone who is irritated by noisy, difficult children (of any age) ... I do prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe we've been lucky but on our O cruises we really haven't run into those obstreperous children that people object to.

Mura

Archived