Bed Bugs ?

Motels and hotels from Canada to Florida have been experiencing the critters. People are advised to check for brown spots at corners of the mattress, don't use drawers (keep clothes in bag on luggage rack), remove bedspeads, fold and put in closets and finally check yourself for red marks on skin. All this info is on the internet just look up bed bug epidemic. All the bug companies are very active in bed bug removal. They cause an awful lot of problems and ridiculous to get rid of.

I have not personally experienced or know of anybody who has experienced them on a cruise - it also has not been reported much (if at all) on Cruise Critic as having been an issue. I am sure it happens on rare occasions on cruises, but it is certainly not an epidemic. You can always make a quick inspection of your stateroom upon first entering if it makes you feel better.

I haven't heard much about them on ships.

We apparently had a fairly new asst steward on Eclipse. On his list of chores to be done daily (we saw in in his closet when we caught him there) was "Look for signs of Bed Bugs"

I'm guessing they are looking for them constantly.

I have always wondered this too. I always check hotel beds! I am freaked out by these little guys and don't want to bring them home! Once they are home, in severe cases, they can make their way into your furniture :eek: I can't afford to buy new furniture!

I am glad you asked this and will follow this thread, although, I hardly ever read about bed bugs on the CC forums :rolleyes:

P.S. I am in FL, not sure how bad it is in other states.

My husband travels frequently and usually stays in fine hotels, but he always checks the mattress and surrounding area, and we have done the same on cruises. It can happen anywhere and anytime regardless of how nice of a cruiseline or hotel.

I always search the name of the hotel or cruise ship with the words bed bugs.

I have never seen evidence in my 30+ cruises. I do agree that Celebrity is likely super diligent about checking for these critters. Think how fast it could get out of hand if they boarded and were not dealt with. I think ship's crew are much more careful about cleaning than your average hotel maid. Lot's of reasons why but I won't list them as I'm sure they are fairly obvious to all. (to those who know, or used to be hotel maids no offense meant - I know there are plenty who do a great job)

A search of Celebrity Cruises does pop with a few hits of bed bugs, but they were obviously dealt with or there would be constant threads about them.

And, of course, they can hit cruise ships. After all, they piggy-back onto the ships from the passengers who brought them from the hotel that they stayed at the night before. It's all in how the company deals with them. Word of infestations are certainly not good for the bottom line.

Thank you everyone for your serious input. Most people I talk to always check , but no one knows what would happen if you did find them in your cabin. Does anyone know of any repellent to take with you to kill any found. Thanks for your answers:D

Google "Bed bugs". You'll probably find all sorts of devices for detection and abatement.

Thank you everyone for your serious input. Most people I talk to always check , but no one knows what would happen if you did find them in your cabin. Does anyone know of any repellent to take with you to kill any found. Thanks for your answers:D

Well, if you find (or suspect that you've found) bed bugs in your cabin, you need to call your room steward, at once. And, if he/she doesn't know the protocol for dealing with the problem -- the head of housekeeping will. This definitely would NOT be a do-it-yourself scenario! :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

I work in a hotel and one of the priority things on the housekeepers list are to check for bed bugs as each guest checks out. You don't know where the person that was in the room or cabin before you has come from.

I think/believe that the ships, in order to maintain a "bedbug" free environment, check for them more frequently than hotels do.

Its nice to fly in a day or two ahead of time before a trip in order to see sights and have a more relaxing embarkation, but we also have to be more aware of where we book into (cleanliness) for those couple of days. If they are present at the hotel, then there is a greater chance of them getting into luggage/clothing and being brought aboard ship.

I have to admit, that in all of our travels, there has only been 1 or 2 places that we have had a reservation and have turned around and left and found another establishment.

I work in property management, and I can tell you that bedbugs are a BIG problem nationwide. The worst thing about them vs roaches,etc., is the outrageous cost to get rid of them. They don't carry diseases, and they are somewhat like head lice in that they are more disgusting than harmful. The bites cause a reaction in some people, but bites/rash are a comfort and cosmetic issue rather than a health hazard. There are websites which shall remain nameless but might be considered a registry or report ;) Be aware that anyone can file a report, and many are filed out of retaliation or by competitors. You can pick them up in theaters, restaurants--anywhere the little devils hitch a ride to. Unless you see evidence of bedbugs in your cabin or get unexplained bumps or bites, it's just something that is rather pointless to dwell on. Trust me--we all freaked out when we began receiving training, but it's just something to be aware of and to be proactive if you suspect you have a problem.

We travel a lot, so it is always a concern for us. Look under bedbugregistry.com. It is frightening how many pre-cruise hotels in Ft Lauderdale and in San Diego have had reports. (These are the ones I have been checking most recently.) Trip Advisor will also carry reports if it is validated. Of course, other hotels might have unreported incidents and some reports may not be valid-so back to square one. You never know, so you have to be proactive. You absolutely have to check hotel rooms and I wrap my luggage and keep it in the bathtub as much as possible. Never lay anything on a bed, put used clothing in a sealed bag and wash as soon as you get home. These things are not possible once you are on a cruise ship. It that case, you have to do the best you can til the end of the cruise and then deal with it once you are off the ship. Notice this thread has been moved.

Turnover is much lower on a cruise ship than in a hotel so there is less opportunity for the critters to jump out of one suitcase and into another.

Actually it is exactly the opposite.

Most land-based hotels are lucky to hit 50% occupancy at anytime during the year.

Hotel rooms often go for weeks or months without being occupied by anyone.

All the major cruise lines are requiring 100% occupancy every day and week of the year.

Popular ships and itineraries are running anywhere from 120% to 140% occupancy, depending on family holidays. So in addition to beds being at risk for bedbugs, there are also many sofa-beds and folding beds at risk as well.

Even if a ship is doing 3, 4, or 7 day cruises (with the same people in a cabin for the entire cruise) the actual number of different people occupying a cruise ship bed over the course of a year is higher than for a land-based hotel.

Actually it is exactly the opposite.

Most land-based hotels are lucky to hit 50% occupancy at anytime during the year.

Hotel rooms often go for weeks or months without being occupied by anyone.

All the major cruise lines are requiring 100% occupancy every day and week of the year.

Popular ships and itineraries are running anywhere from 120% to 140% occupancy, depending on family holidays. So in addition to beds being at risk for bedbugs, there are also many sofa-beds and folding beds at risk as well.

Even if a ship is doing 3, 4, or 7 day cruises (with the same people in a cabin for the entire cruise) the actual number of different people occupying a cruise ship bed over the course of a year is higher than for a land-based hotel.

but the room steward is responsible to look and see if there is an infestation. If it looks like the bed bugs have been in that room a long time, the room stewards assigned will probably wind out cleaning out the grease traps for a while.

I think BBs live on blood, not grease. They only need to feed every 6 months I read. Small, unless engorged with blood, they hide in comforter and luggage piping.. I am always wary of getting them from the airport luggage carts piled sky high ,then loaded onto planes.