Mariner Shoreside event?

Katie333

My TA tells me the sailing I am going on features a Mariner shoreside event. She says in the event it doesn't happen, they will give OBC in lieu.

I haven't been able to find out anything about this. Ring a bell for anyone?

My TA tells me the sailing I am going on features a Mariner shoreside event. She says in the event it doesn't happen, they will give OBC in lieu.

I haven't been able to find out anything about this. Ring a bell for anyone?

Never heard of that. Could it be an event your TA is planning or did she say it's a HAL event?

On grand voyages, those booking verandah cabins and higher get an included shoreside event. At first, the event was something special, an event not listed in the regular shore excursion brochure. Now you get a list of regular—expensive—tours from which to choose your complementary one.

Have to say I've never heard of a Mariner shoreside event. Could be something new or, as mentioned above, something unique to Grand Voyages. I know that some of the luxury lines have special shoreside events, a private concert and dinner at Ephesus with Seabourn as an example, but not HAL. Considering the percentage of Mariners on most cruises, I've heard figures like 80% or more, that would have to be one heck of a large event.

Exactly, Randy.

The number of Mariners including many high day Mariners is so great on Grand Voyages, it's hard to call an event select when a huge majority of the guests qualify. I imagine the logistics of setting up a venue adequate to handle so many people may be very challenging in many of the ports.

To set up transportation, entertainment, food, guides etc for possibly 700+ people is quite an undertaking. That's without even considering trying to please at least most of the people. They will never please them all. :eek: :D

Is your TA an American Express TA?

American Express frequently designate certain cruises sold through them or their affiliated TAs as "Mariner" cruises with special shore side "events, as well as other things like a private, hosted cocktail party. The "Mariner" is their designation and has nothing to do to with HAL's Mariner Society. It's rather confusing.

I do get mailings periodically from Amex promoting these cruises, but you do have to book through Amex or an Amex TA to get the perks. I've never booked one of these cruises so I don't have any actual experience with them.

Exactly, Randy.

The number of Mariners including many high day Mariners is so great on Grand Voyages, it's hard to call an event select when a huge majority of the guests qualify. I imagine the logistics of setting up a venue adequate to handle so many people may be very challenging in many of the ports.

To set up transportation, entertainment, food, guides etc for possibly 700+ people is quite an undertaking. That's without even considering trying to please at least most of the people. They will never please them all. :eek: :D

Even Seabourn is dealing with up to 450 passengers for the three "big sisters" and that must be quite an undertaking. I'm sure it was a lot easier, but still complicated enough, for them when they were just dealing with the 208 passengers on the three "little sisters" that are leaving the Seabourn fleet starting next year.

Well as always, CC comes through. :)

Violet, My TA does have affiliation with AMEX (I believe) and so I think that's what she meant. Agree that using the mariner terminology is not too helpful on HAL lol.

I don't think my trip counts as a grand voyage, aren't those usually the really long itineraries?

Guess I'll have to wait and see what it actually is. Though, if they wanted to give me a free shorex off the published list I'd be quite happy with that unless I already have other plans in that particular port.

Is your TA an American Express TA?

American Express frequently designate certain cruises sold through them or their affiliated TAs as "Mariner" cruises with special shore side "events, as well as other things like a private, hosted cocktail party. The "Mariner" is their designation and has nothing to do to with HAL's Mariner Society. It's rather confusing.

I do get mailings periodically from Amex promoting these cruises, but you do have to book through Amex or an Amex TA to get the perks. I've never booked one of these cruises so I don't have any actual experience with them.

Very good information.

my last cruise -- from ft.laud to montreal on maasdam -- was an amex 'mariner' cruise. there were only about 40 who qualified. we had a wonderful amex hostess, two private cocktail parties, and a fabulous half-day tour of quebec city, montmerency falls -- private tea and pastry affair at the hotel at the fallls -- and a trip to st. anne de beaupre. it was just wonderful. the hostess contacted each of the 'mariners' once the cruise was underway, though my ta informed me prior to the cruise.

Have to say I've never heard of a Mariner shoreside event. Could be something new or, as mentioned above, something unique to Grand Voyages. I know that some of the luxury lines have special shoreside events, a private concert and dinner at Ephesus with Seabourn as an example, but not HAL. Considering the percentage of Mariners on most cruises, I've heard figures like 80% or more, that would have to be one heck of a large event.

I believe these are given by a group wholesaler..On our Grand Voyage to South America & Antarctica we had 2 shore excursions which were paid for by the TA (group wholesaler) who was in charge of the blocked space..Our TA booked us into this group..In addition we had a cocktail party on board..Also had a Concierge just for our group on board..

This was not a Amex group..

Cheers...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I believe these are given by a group wholesaler..On our Grand Voyage to South America & Antarctica we had 2 shore excursions which were paid for by the TA (group wholesaler) who was in charge of the blocked space..Our TA booked us into this group..In addition we had a cocktail party on board..Also had a Concierge just for our group on board..

This was not a Amex group..

Cheers...Betty

We were supposed to have what sounds like the same thing on the Prinsendam a few years ago in the Med but we had to cancel the cruise. The TA was all excited about it but I'd booked with them because of the discount and really wasn't looking to do a bunch of group stuff. We dropped the cruise because of health and work reasons, not because of the group.

Edited by Randyk47

I have been on 2 Mariner shoreside events on my 2 Transatlantic cruises. It is exactly true what was said...they are American Express Mariner programs. They unfortunately chose the same "Mariner" wording which makes it quite confusing. You will have a pair of hosts who will take care of pampering you. You will also be invited to several cocktail parties (depending on the length of the cruise) and get a couple little gifts. Last time we got leather passport holders which were really beautiful.

The tours (AKA: shoreside events) which they pick are really well done. Our recent one was in Iceland and was done by a private company unrelated to shore excursions from the ship. WE explored many areas, including the Blue Lagoon, and I have to say that they think of everything...there was a woman who was totally wheelchair bound and they found a tour company which would more easily accommodate her needs.

You will definitely enjoy this unexpected perk of picking a "Mariner" cruise sponsored by AMEX. If you do a little research, you can find out in advance where your event will happen and what it includes. I did...it made planning my days easier.

Wendy

This sounds like a TA association (Amex, Virtuoso are 2 of these) event held on certain cruises on various cruise lines. Our TA is a member of Virtuoso and their events are very nice- usually a special tour and lunch at a lovely restaurant or resort, an onboard cocktail party or 2, and a group coordinator on the ship.

As a previous poster said the Amex group may use the term Mariner for their group, but it doesn't mean it is for HAL Mariners, just a coincidence in name. We have only done this with Virtuoso on HAL and Seabourn, but they do these events for their TA's on many cruise lines.

One of my most memorable experiences during the 2008 World Cruise was an event held in Istanbul in one of their old cisterns that has been made into an area where huge parties could be held. Drink, food, Turkish entertainment, and being welcomed by Mr. and Mrs. Kruse along with transportation from the ship to the event and return. It was a grand experience! I do think it was a Mariner event. It was not just for full cruise passengers. Must have cost HAL a mint! But, everyone who attended appreciated and enjoyed it.

I have been on 2 Mariner shoreside events on my 2 Transatlantic cruises. It is exactly true what was said...they are American Express Mariner programs. They unfortunately chose the same "Mariner" wording which makes it quite confusing. You will have a pair of hosts who will take care of pampering you. You will also be invited to several cocktail parties (depending on the length of the cruise) and get a couple little gifts. Last time we got leather passport holders which were really beautiful.

The tours (AKA: shoreside events) which they pick are really well done. Our recent one was in Iceland and was done by a private company unrelated to shore excursions from the ship. WE explored many areas, including the Blue Lagoon, and I have to say that they think of everything...there was a woman who was totally wheelchair bound and they found a tour company which would more easily accommodate her needs.

You will definitely enjoy this unexpected perk of picking a "Mariner" cruise sponsored by AMEX. If you do a little research, you can find out in advance where your event will happen and what it includes. I did...it made planning my days easier.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy (and everyone!)

I have confirmed this is an Amex "Mariner" perk, and from what some of you experienced sounds like it will be a nice addition, though we didn't even book knowing we were going to get this lol.

Wendy, how did you find out in advance about the shoreside event? My TA didn't have any details about it, she implied the plans for the event wouldn't be known until we boarded (by which time we'd likely already booked all our tours privately which may conflict with what they end up offering us).

Since the OP's question has apparently been answered, my comment is less useful, but to clarify something Blue Whale said. You may have noted that she said for passengers in veranda cabins and higher on Grand Voyages there is a "free" shoreside event (tour). As it turns out I guess OP was talking about the AMEX group, but what Blue Whale wrote is true for some folks on Grand Voyages, even if their first cruise. Of course, free luggage shipping is another perk for many of the same folks on Grand Voyages.

• 7 months later...
Thanks Wendy (and everyone!)

I have confirmed this is an Amex "Mariner" perk, and from what some of you experienced sounds like it will be a nice addition, though we didn't even book knowing we were going to get this lol.

Wendy, how did you find out in advance about the shoreside event? My TA didn't have any details about it, she implied the plans for the event wouldn't be known until we boarded (by which time we'd likely already booked all our tours privately which may conflict with what they end up offering us).

Are you going on the April 20, 2014 sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam. I just received paperwork from my TA today that we are part of the American Express Mariner Group. There is going to be an afternoon excursion in Taormina for us. We have already booked a private tour for this port and trying to decide if we should cancel and do this one instead.